Alko air suspension help please

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by DavidG58, Apr 28, 2013.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello all, newbie fool here again. I have a Hymer with Alko chassis, the manual makes no reference to what I think is air suspension. Beside the drivers seat in the exit well are 2 pressure guages, both have Alko on them hence my assumption they relate to the suspension. There appear to be 2 tyre type valves adjacent to the guages, the guage range is 0 - 8, not sure what units, one is bang on zero, the other is 2. Anybody out there got the same or have any ideas what it is, how it works and is mine right?

I have now decided never to buy anything so technical privately again, regardless of how cheap it might seem, I need too much hand holding!! and selling my old MH privately has been truly tiresome.

David

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Don't drive it till you get some air in the 0 one you will damage the airbag
    Set both pressures to equal say about 40 psi and check for leaks
    I have mine set at 50 psi

• Like Like x 2
  3. billy

billy Read Only Funster

Mine is inflated by using a compressor yours sounds like you have to inflate it yourself with a pump.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the 0 to 8 range will be in BAR...not PSI.

40psi is 2.75bar

inflate both to this pressure then see how the van 'rides'

might need more, might need less.

I run my rear Goodyear air bags at 60psi but the rear axle weight is around 5 tons.

5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

This follows on from a query I made on a thread regarding the Bailey Approach. Does air suspension give a better ride on an Alko chassis or should it not be necessary with the lower floor?

6. pappajohn

air assist's primary function is to maintain correct ride height....anything else is a bonus (stability etc)

motorhomes are usually built close to, so constantly runs near, the vehicles max permitted weight limit so a lot more suspension 'give' is to be expected

the same base vehicle in a working environment will spend more time unloaded than loaded so the suspension doesnt suffer anywhere near as much.

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Oh, still sounds complex, do I need to inflate with an airline or woiuld a foot pump do? Any ideas why it is down to zero? Should I be worried that I am off to Scotland on Friday?

8. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

A foot pump will do or a 12 volt compressor
    Just blow it up to about 40 psi leave it for a while if it goes down you have a leak
    If it stays up great just keep a eye on it

9. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

From the AS Air Suspension website:

The two-gauge control panel, to operate the compressor, is normally fitted within the cab area of your vehicle, although this is of personal preference. Operating the system is simple, with one switch to raise the air spring/bellows and two push-in buttons to lower.

This is what I've got in my cab, a control panel with one push button to inflate both sides and 2 buttons to lower them individually. The 12v pump is located under the rear seat. If you have tyre type valves it looks like a manual pump up system

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

if it goes down you have a leak
    If it stays up great

Is a leak mendable or are we into a new system? being of a permanently negative viewpoint, what kind of £'s will it take to mend or replace? I will get a compressor on to it tomorrow, I might just get lucky.

Thanks to all contributors so far, I am not there yet though so keep on 'helping ' please

David

• Like Like x 1
  11. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

hi,had a similar set up in my old mh,just pop to the local garage insert 20p in the air line,inflate to your required pressure,you will see the back end lift up. you will see heads turn when you open the door and insert the airline into the footwell !!!:BigGrin::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. billy

billy Read Only Funster

Put some air in using your foot pump then by morning you will find out if you have a leak or not.

Mine are set at 3bar if this helps

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  13. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

There maybe nothing wrong just low pressure
    possibly a loose connection or a bit of pipe to replace all easy cheap fixes
    At worst you could be looking at a replacement airbag but i don't think thats very likely they are very robust and not likely to fail
    Easy to fit but unsure of cost
    mine were fitted new from scratch in well under 2 hours for £400 by a dealer
    Don't go spending a fortune on a compressor just for that any old thing will do even a bike pump with correct end it's no more difficult than blowing up your vehicle tires

14. francour

francour Read Only Funster

air suspension

Hi
    hymer do not have Alko chassis

15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

OK, been down cellar, found a 12V compressor, plucked up courage and blown up the system, both now set a 3 bar, no obvious hissing sounds and the MH is now amazingly stable to walk around in, I had thought it seemed very soft. Given the relatively high spec of the MH I am surprised it does not have its own pump, will check again oin morning and report back on pressure retained, probably quickly followed by several calls for more help.

For the curious or confused, I have not used the MH yet, bought in Feb ben put off by weather twice, definitely going this Friday, suspension issues allowing!!

Many thanks again for help and support, it is good to have you there:drink:

David

• Like Like x 2
  16. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Well done that man

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

OK another boob I guess, all I was going by was the ALKO on the guages, it is a 2008 Hymermobil S if that helps

David

18. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I am afraid you are wrong there, most Hymer A class motorhomes do indeed have Alko chassis - mine certainly does! :Smile:

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  19. pappajohn

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Mine has 2 guages, which is the only reason I knew there might be a problem, based on various replies I am now looking tomorrow in daylight to confirm if it is definitely an Alko chassis and whether mine has a built in pump, I dont think so, hence the 2 valves. So far still pumped up to 3 bar, but 2 hours parked may not be a tough enough test!!