Aldi Specialbuys - £13.99 battery charger this Thursday (16th)...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo), Oct 14, 2014.

1. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

...at least that's what the local store's Specialbuys booklet says.

Looks the same as the one I got from Lidl earlier this year - 6V/12V/cold start multi-stage trickle charger - and the same price, but with a different name on the front.

I've been using mine quite a lot and it seems to do the job. Better than dragging out the old heavy-duty Halfords one and then spending 10 minutes trying to fit the cables back into case when I've finished!

• Like Like x 1
  2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Two points about this and similar (Lidl) chargers is that when there is a loss of mains power the charger reverts to standby mode, IE its stops charging until it manually setup again. This means that it use as a long term battery maintainer is limited, as it would require regular inspection, may even weekly. We live "out in the sticks" and get a number of minor power cuts, usually only for a few seconds but long enough to reset my Aldi charger.

Secondly although its rated at 3.8Amps it contains a temperature sensor which drop its output to half power after about an hour.

Its still a cost effective useful unit, I'm just making peeps aware of its short comings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Does anyone know if you leave this type of charger connected long term, and you have a mains failure .. is there a current back flow that could drain the battery, and over time flatten it ?

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't think they are meant for long term connection are they?

I used to use (a Lidl) one to keep the starter battery topped up in the Autoquest in the days before I fitted a Battery Charge Manager. I now use it to top up an old leisure battery I keep in the garage to power occasionally used 12v devices. We also fitted one to my son's old camper as it had no charger installed when he bought it.

All those uses are short term though.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Several other potentially useful items at Aldi from Thursday as well as the charger. Details Here.

I have a couple of pairs of the work trousers and find them extremely comfortable.

6. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

If your going to use a charger for long term connection why buy cheap!!!! buy a good brand name like CTEK that you will buy once and designed so that if power failure is common it will start again in the same mode and carry on where it left off. Buy cheap buy twice - buy quality buy once.............

7. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

No. This type of charger does not place a load on the battery.
    However the reason this type of charger is used for long term maintenance is that alarm systems etc place a continuous drain on the battery that must be placed. The loss of mains power will means that the original load will drian the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

thought that would be the case.. but not having one to test thought I'd ask.. cheers