Aldi Ski Gear in on Thursday!

Discussion in 'Skiing and Boarding' started by jonandshell, Nov 28, 2015.

1. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

• Like Like x 3
  2. ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe Funster

Yes it seems to be the first Thursday in December usually doesn't it. Figured it would be next week.

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I was quite impressed with their new pro range last year. Apparently it is 10k waterproof and breathable.
    I find my old jacket a bit heavy by modern standards so might give an Aldi one a try. I have had an Aldi one in the past and it was absolutely fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Bought an aldi one last year been fine

• Like Like x 1
  5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Looks okay but not a patch on the doggie Christmas Jumpers......... £3.99

• Like Like x 3
  6. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

I am a believer in the buy cheap buy twice maxim. I prefer Sportpursuit.com

• Like Like x 1
  7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Surely a branded jacket at 10 times the price, made in a similar Chinese factory, will not last 10 times longer?
    Besides, most are unfashionable within 5 years these days!
    What about growing kids?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Interesting perspective. Every time I've been tempted by Sportspursuit items, I've found cheaper prices elsewhere.

Aldi stuff may be cheap but a lot of it is very good value and good enough not to need paying twice.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

On recommendations by regular skiers who buy Aldi stuff and cant recommend it enough as good value and fit for the job I will be getting sum of there gear .
    bill

10. The Wino

The Wino Funster

The jacket is fine I think its their better range but still cheap. Also bought a lot of kitchen stuff cheap and good quality. I don't think cheap and por quality always go toghther neither does expensive and good!!!.

• Like Like x 1
  11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I've got/have had both. I prefer my expensive kit but don't rule out TK max they have great deals on more classy jackets at a bargain price.
    Aldi stuff ain't all ways the best

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mattyjwr

The last time I went into TK Max I was staggered by how much of a con they were trying to pull. Their MRRPs were grossly inflated and the "sale" prices were just as much as normal prices elsewhere.

I asked to buy a bike light set that was reduced from £18 to £9 because the front light was missing. I told the cashier / manager that I could buy the whole set for £10 elsewhere but would pay £5 for the incomplete set (I really just wanted the handlebar mount) . They declined, saying that someone would buy it for £9.

They do have some good deals but not as many as they would have you believe.

13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Yes it's like anything...you have to sort the wheat from the chaff

14. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I wonder how many top of the range clothes have been brought only for people to gain weight and the items hang in a wardrobe never worn again. If it was a cheaper range not so much lost, or another size could be brought.

15. Mattyjwr

I've got some friends that buy top of the range cycling stuff and have to replace it because they have lost weight. Even though I tend to wear Aldi cycling gear, I'm still faster than them in thir expensive gear ;)

• Like Like x 3
  16. fastpat

My initial comment was actually based on the £7.99 goggles - the headliner on the Aldi site. Over the last thirty plus years I have seen a lot of folk buy cheap goggles and then wondered why they fogged up all the time rendering them useless. Now I wouldn't spend £300 on a set of Oakleys but I would spend £40-£80 on a half price pair of Smiths, Cebe, Anon etc. My current Smith goggles are twelve years old so have done at least 30 weeks skiing, they cost £50 in a half price sale in one of the clearance shops on the way in to Bourg.

The clothing side doesn't really affect me as I work in the outdoor industry and get trade prices (1/2) on Berghaus, ME, Rab etc - in fact the only one I can't get is Rohan which is annoying as that's what I like most!

But what I would say on the clothing front is two things:
    • Where it is put together is important to me, it may be in the far east but does the factory have ethical standards in place? The brands I use do, I doubt if the Aldi ones do.
    • When putting technical clothing together it is the fabric used that determines how the clothing performs, I would place a degree of scepticism on the claims made for the "Pro" range, on the other hand Goretex and eVent are independently tested. I also know through using the kit it works.
    Don't get me wrong, I haven't always been a gear snob - I've used the kit from Millets and the Army Surplus stores, but I have learned over time that you do get what you pay for.

And as to things going out of fashion, I kill my kit out well before five years is up, good ski clothing should be suitable for general wear in the hills and dog walking, not for a couple of weeks a year on the slopes.

17. Mattyjwr

You are right, it all depends on frequency of use. I wish that I would wear out ski equipment but that won't happen for a long time.

As for being a gear snob, I like quality outdoor stuff and have Berghaus, Rab and non-fashion equipment from North Face but also wear Regatta - their soft-shell trousers and jackets are a 1/3 of the price of other makes and it works well enough for me. Also, I don't get too upset when I get another scorch mark from camp fire embers.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mattyjwr

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Registering with Sportpursuit.com was the worst thing I have done.
    I only wanted to browse the prices, but no, all I get now is constant junk in the inbox from both Sportpursuit.com and job persuit.com.
    They are going straight to spam now.

20. fastpat

Or alternatively you could use the email preferences setting to only get information about skiing sales and on a weekly basis rather than daily.
    Cannot comment on job.pursuit as I never getting any emails from them - presume there is an unsubscribe option rather than fill your spam folder?