Alde heat exchager (1 Viewer)

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a replacement motorhome ( Carthago c line) and pondering over if the alde heat exchanger is worthwhile , and worth the extra £1000?

Any comments welcome

NRM

Oct 16, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096DF
Exp
If you go for the Alde system also look at the extra option of underfloor heating, it really makes a difference

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have the heat exchanger and it is fantastic when travelling in winter, the whole van gets warm effectively from waste heat, but, it depends on your usage, if you don't use out of season, or stay pitched for long periods you may never see any benefit.

OP
OP
G1969
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Thanks for the replies, yes we do use all year, so I think I will add it on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
The heat exchanger is great if you have it, but not worth £1000. I would question why they want so much for it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The heat exchanger is great if you have it, but not worth £1000. I would question why they want so much for it.
The heat exchanger is about £250 plus a couple of isolation valves possibly and some piping, then you need to break into the engine cooling circuit and fit a diverter valve and pump if it is going to double as engine heating, wire pump back to control panel etc and then of course a bit of profit and a lump of VAT, it all adds up.

And yes we would always have one.

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
We have it fitted but I’m not 100% sure how to correctly operate it.
is, set pump to continuous, but do not switch the fan switch on the dash on, as that function is purely for warm the engine before starting?
Alde told me do not switch the fan switch on when engine running, as the pump on the engine would in any case work against it!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have it fitted but I’m not 100% sure how to correctly operate it.
is, set pump to continuous, but do not switch the fan switch on the dash on, as that function is purely for warm the engine before starting?
Alde told me do not switch the fan switch on when engine running, as the pump on the engine would in any case work against it!
Correct ish (y) you can set the heating pump to continuous but then there will be no temperature control. better to set it to "therm" and just make sure that the gas is off then the temperature of the van will be controlled on the thermostat, you may or may not have a valve to isolate the heat exchanger so that needs to be open of course.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
oopps. I have always switched on the pump whilst driving. My Kontik never had a switch on the dashboard and it just worked on its own. Since I got the Frankia I I have always used the switch on the dashboard to switch it on. Maybee that's why it never got as hot as the Kontiki. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our Hymer has one fitted. From what I can see it is not an Alde supplied one but it works fine. We used it on our journeys to and from Spain in December and January. Kept the whole motorhome cosy and warm and also heated up the water, all without using gas. Like Martin says, we switch gas and electrics off on the heater control and relied upon the thermostat to switch the pump on and off to maintain a steady temperature.

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Correct ish (y) you can set the heating pump to continuous but then there will be no temperature control. better to set it to "therm" and just make sure that the gas is off then the temperature of the van will be controlled on the thermostat, you may or may not have a valve to isolate the heat exchanger so that needs to be open of course.
Thank you Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back