Alarm false triggering

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Oct 8, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

The Autowatch 695 alarm went off on our new Burstner this morning just before 7am. Also went off this evening at 9pm. When I went in after the latest event I found a daddy long legs sitting on the ceiling. Is there any chance this may have set off the PIR. I thought these react to a moving warm body. Needless to say I have now turned off the internal sensors and will be keeping the keys close at hand. There is apparently no way of finding out what caused the alarm. Unless of course someone on here knows different!

2. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Had an estate car once,if it was very windy,the wind would set it off,it was suggested that i close the external air inlets on the heater system. This seemed to work,but i moved it into the shelter of a hedge as well.
    Hope this may help.
    Tea Bag

3. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

In this day and age there must be some basic diagnostic information available even on a car alarm

Speak to your installer again and persevere

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Ive heard of spiders activating alarms by getting into the PIR unit and crossing the sensor so I suppose it's possible the daddy long leg could trigger it.
    Other thing to consider is if the activation time relates to say, the central heating in the house coming on via wireless thermostat or timer.
    I once had a problem with a caravan alarm, the PIR was actually defective and would just trigger at random times. During the course of trying to fathom the problem, I contacted Sergant technical support, who told me the PIR unit should be placed at least 1 meter away from the Phantom tracker fitted with the alarm system and that less than this distance the tracker monitoring system could cause interference with the PIR causing random triggers. Unfortunately it seems a lot of manufacturers don't adhere to this distance. It also became apparent they fit the tracker in the same location in all of the caravans fitted with Phantom tracker, not ideal so I moved mine to an alternative hidden area about 2 mtrs away.
    In the end it was found to be a duff PIR and was replaced under warranty and never had a problem after that.
    I know this is a bit long winded but may be worth considering all possibilities as opposed to disarming the interior sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Hi, found this link that may help, it relates to Autowatch diagnostic codes and how to access them.
    http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/blog/autowatch-diagnostic-codes
    Hope this helps
    Lance

6. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Have you looked for evidence of a possible rodent visitor!?....

7. Clickem

Clickem Funster

We recently had a couple of false alarms caused by a proximity switch on a locker door. The part attached to the opening door had got knocked, and with slotted holes had moved too far away from the fixed part, when the door was closed

8. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Our Cobra alarm went off one night last week. Couldn't find anything wrong until a tiny moth flew in front of my face. Moth disposed of, hasn't happened since so I assume that was the cause. The Cobra isn't tilt attivated, as my previous Sigma was, so isn't affected by wind rocking the van, the Sigma always went off in strong wind.

• Like Like x 1