aires in this country

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dragabed, Mar 24, 2010.

1. dragabed

dragabed Read Only Funster

as it does not look like the government or local authorities what would the position be for private aires in and around towns and villages all linked together as a franchise or some type of self running individually owned business venture.the land could even be provided by the local town or village to enhance local trade and retail.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No chance in our lifetime.

What with planners and NIMBYs and tree huggers and no cash and short sightedness it just will not happen.

Best we can hope for is a trickle of CLs.

3. dragabed

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country.html#post266356

but if these people in charge looked at it from the point of view, it provided employment and it would bring in much needed cash for local traders perhaps they would have a second look and realise the merits of the enterprise.

4. finby

finby Read Only Funster

Aires in this country?????
    You've more chance of being struck by a snowball in hell:BigGrin:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

A non starter, .. the only press Mhomes get is BAD press.. the few spoiling it for the many.. and there are too many vested interests, local sites, CC and CCC. would all object.

There are a couple of aires, one at Canterbury and I think Tintatgel ...

6. dragabed

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country.html#post266364

there are a few about and little acorns do grow into big oak trees.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A few more than two but still not many - see Here. The Tintagel car park is privately owned so it is possible for individuals/companies to provide facilities.

I don't know what sort of hoops they would have to go through and it is probably easier for an existing site with planning permission for parking already than for someone to purchase land specially. I suppose the incentive, as with all businesses, would all depend on the potential ROI.

Graham

8. dragabed

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country.html#post266401

i am surprised tesco or one of the other large supermarkets havnt latched on to the idea especially with 24 hour opening facilities, i am sure the participants would purchase fuel and food from these stores when they were there and with the cost to fill up being in the region of 80 pounds plus say the same from a campers shop multiplied across the country would amount to a considerable addition to there turnover.

9. john-A

john-A Read Only Funster

I am sorry to have to agree with the majority of the pessimistic comments in this thread.
    But I do see the possibility of a way forward if someone had the time and energy to investigate the setting up of a scheme where there was a private car park and getting the owner to see the financial potential of allowing an aire type arrangement if they thought they would get extra income from the visitors.
    One example may be of a large out of town garden or shopping centres.
    I still don’t see it working but if it was ever to I think this would be a possibility but the person trying to get it set up would need to be a good salesman and perhaps use the example of France in a hope the success of France would encourage them to participate

10. hilldweller

Yes they do in a 100 years.

11. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

12. hilldweller

We are quite new to MHing, have used a few aires and municipal sites. But so far we have hardly contributed any serious amount to the local community. A bag of shopping, a meal, nothing. I kept wondering "why do they bother". But over the year maybe it does benefit the locals.

One place we stopped in France an enterprising local baker came round with his bread van in the morning.

I see another difference in France, the "town" is still intact. The local shops are still there. Over here Tesco have destroyed our towns and sprawl and planners and yobs mean any parking would be miles from any remaining shops.

13. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Never in a million years is this going to happen here.

Can you imagine the glee on the faces of the gypsies:Eeek:
    Ready made parking areas with water and waste facilites, youd never get near them for the caravans, dogs and snotty nosed kids running round :cry:

14. scotjimland

Hi Graham

Your list is excellent, and I know the work you put in, but with all due respect, how many of your entries are proper aires ie .. with dumping, fresh water or with an ehu ?

It the very minimum, to be classed as an Aire, it must have fresh water and dumping.. otherwise it's only a parking concession.

Today I made a point of reading the signs in Woodbridge car parks, our closest market town.. It has three Pay and Display car parks, no height barriers but all have a new sign, No Motorised Caravans..

Woodbridge and the surrounding area of coastal Suffolk is heritage countryside, it's literally crawling with MHs all looking for a bit of wild camping and sight seeing.. but they won't be buying anything in Woodbridge, the Tesco Extra on the A12, about 5 miles away will be getting all the trade..

15. scotjimland

so why does this not happen in France or Germany..

Is it because they already provide adequate facilities for the travelling people, or do they just use bigger sticks ?

16. dragabed

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country-2.html#post266463

it would not take much effort or a lot of money,which, (with a small charge would soon be recouped) to plumb into a manhole and provide a tap and signage.

17. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

Yes ivè often wondered why the travellers don't tend to use aires never seen any in my travels they seem better organised in France yo see plenty of them but they seem to keep themselves to themselves. mind I Did see some travelers using the aire at Dolus on Ile De Oleron to get water but they didn`t stay.

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I got in touch with the major supermarkets towards the end of 2006. The Response was underwhelming. Some had experienced problems with illegal campsites being set up and/or boy racers using the car parks in the evening and causing damage.

Point taken Jim. TBH I've only listed the information I've been given.

I can only imagine that there have been problems at Woodbridge and/or the car parks are unsuitable for large vehicles. As posted on previous threads, Suffolk Coastal Council have been most helpful and have been proactive in trying to identify places where MH parking can be allowed.

Graham

19. dragabed

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21963-aires-country-3.html#post266490

i do not see the relationship between illegal camp sites and boy races. the provision of properly organised aire type areas would in the very least alleviate the illegal camp site problem, also provide a low key security presence if only a visible one, as for boy races surely this is one for the local police to deal with and could not be held against motorhomers.

20. scotjimland

This again works in France, many supermarkets allow over night stays.. all we seem to get are excuses, not reasons..

SuperU have aires at many of their stores, with water and dumping..

The picture shows the 'sanitation' bay at SuperU, complete with a laundry ! .. .. open 24/7, :thumb:

[​IMG]