Aires in November

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Mags52, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We're planning a wee trip to France at the end of October early November. Will most of the Aires still be open then? I'm sure I read somewhere that a lot of them close for the winter. We would only be there for about 6 days so would be in Northern France. Thanks for any help.
    Mags

2. wasp

wasp Funster

I think you will find they just turn off the water and power, the aires are still functioning although most are open all year:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Mags,

Many are still accessible during winter, but often the water has been turned off and drained down, and electricity isolated.

HTH,

Jock.

4. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks. We would need to find a campsite every three days or so then. We're up for the adventure though! :Smile:

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I dont think you will find many sites open in November, unless you are going right down south.. The aires will be open and you can dump your toilet and grey waste.. Like others have said, water will most likely be turned off to avoid freezing.. So look for alternatives like garages and cemetaries etc for water..

6. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

As Tonka has indicated, you'll struggle with sites, between October and March, especially in the north.

Good luck though.

Jock.

7. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Recommend you get All the Aires France and ACSI books from www.vicarious-shop.co.uk , and or Camping Cheque book you will find all the information you need in these .:thumb:

8. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

Pretty sure the Aire at Embry will still have water etc, 40 mins from Calais a good starting and finishing point to your trip, we use it every time we go over to France.

9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I believe all Aires are open all year round....as mentioned above.....Don't forget you can always buy drinking water from all supermarkets over here in France and it is very cheap......around 17cents for about 2 liters....at Lidl and Aldi......
    So you can dump grey and empty your toilet....you can get clean drinking water...you can get gas at all supermarkets and other shops..... not that expensive...around 18 to 23 euros for 11kg to 13 kg.. all you need now is a small genny just in case you have any need of electricity.. Tv, laptop, ...just in case the solar is not giving enough energy for what you may be taking out, and of course... if it is very cold a small fan heater if you are saving on your gas ......sorted...
    Have a very good holiday and enjoy yourselves

Mel
    :thumb:

10. Heyupluv

I think Tonka is correct...:Eeek:

11. Heyupluv

A good suggestion:thumb:

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

A tip for toilet emptying when the water is turned off at an aire and you "really" need to swill out the Thetford. Empty toilet before dumping grey water.
    First empty the toilet contents into the appropriate grill, then place the cassette nozzle under the outflow from the grey tank. Open the valve to allow enough in for a quick swill of the cassette, then empty as usual. Finally dump grey tank.

13. Ven

Ven Funster

We've travelled in France for the last two winters for about 6 weeks. Although some are closed or have the water turned off we have always found plenty of aires open and water on at at least 50% of them.

The aires book is invaluable though to see which are open all year. :Smile:

14. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Great tips - thanks. I really like the grey water idea - would never have thought of that.
    Thanks all.
    :thumb: