Aires: Gassed and Robbed!?!? (1 Viewer)

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
Hi All

We have spent the last seven weeks in France working our way down to my sisters in the Dordogne and then slowly working our way up the west coast ( which in our opinion is not worth the diesel). We are currently in Northern Brittany which is absolutely beautiful, having used a mixture of campsites and aires we are of the opinion that you have a far greater chance of being murdered in your bed back in Blighty than you have of being robbed in France. No idea what problems there are in Spain but no signs in France.

Where ever you go take care and just enjoy and above all do not worry

Cheers Alan and Lynda

working
not literally I hope :Doh::Eeek:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
There are some dead simple precautions you can take if this type of occurance concerns you.

3. Lock your hab door FROM THE OUTSIDE, and USE THE SECURITY LOCK, as you would if you left it somewhere. Enter via the drivers door and strap them up.

They wont be able to undo your windows, with extra devices in place to secure and alert if tampered or broken. Security film is available that make then harder to break.

Make it too secure and you will be up all night just in case a fire starts trapping you inside

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There are some dead simple precautions you can take if this type of occurance concerns you.

1. Valuables in a safe at night - they can cost as little as £5 for a basic one. Throw under your seat/bed and its' out of sight.

2. Window alarms, window locks - just in case.

3. Lock your hab door FROM THE OUTSIDE, and USE THE SECURITY LOCK, as you would if you left it somewhere. Enter via the drivers door and strap them up.

They wont be able to undo your windows, with extra devices in place to secure and alert if tampered or broken. Security film is available that make then harder to break.

No point in forcing two locks on a door, especially if one is a security lock - after all you may just wake someone.

They can try the front doors/windows, but won't get them too far as they won't be able to open the door, and climbing through a smashed window is unadvisable after waking the owner.

If the gassing legend is true, then they won't bother - after all, why gas you when they can't get in?

So, if you are concerned - make sure your van is a hard nut and not a soft touch, camp wisely and sleep soundly - stop worrying and have fun, its' a holiday!!:thumb:

Ok some good points but do not do NO 3.
Ive heard that advice before and its poor.
You are more likely to die as a result of not being able to get out of your Van when fire sweeps through than being murdered by robbers. It happens, Just always make sure you rehearse how to get out in a fire, especially if like us you are a family. We have a fire drill that we rehearse. We used to strap the doors and feel nice and safe until someone mentioned the above. The more I thought about it the more scared I got.

2 further things to add.
DO NOT PARK WITH LORRIES- in many occasions the police have accused the truckers of being the ones doing the stealing!!! especially in France.

3) get your self a wallet and all your old credit cards, aa Cards and whatever else you can. Stick your self a 10 euro note in it and leave it somewhere easily seen by a robber (as soon as he walks in) hang a hand bag up with it with a purse inside with another few euros and old cards. Remember the thief does not want to encounter you, he will be happy to see this and run thinking what an easy snatch he has made. Until he tries using your cards to find out they are useless.

As for gassing? Nikki has been well and truly gasses in the over cab bed, She awoke feeling very woosey and sick. It was nothing to do with the pear cider I had been drinking the night before guv, honest :winky:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
only Geo's wallet was put away and they seemed to know exactly where to go for that.

Are we much wiser - you bet we are.

Safe travels

Sounds like an inside job to me Geo, Pammy bought any new clothes lately? ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back