deka

Free Member
Nov 20, 2013
stoke-on-trent
Funster No
MH
auto-sleeper sigma el
Exp
My airbag valves were situated in a small side locker which runs along the side skirt of the motor, Which was a real pain getting up and down in the wet to check them with my compressor.
So I've had the air lines to my airbags replaced and redirected into the cab with twin gauges at a cost of £135.00 including VAT at Towtal in Stoke-on-Trent, Very pleased with them. Cheers Deka.
1168762098.gif

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Def worth doing .. I fitted my own with gauges and valves ( and relief buttons etc ) and just used a small pump I bought at a boot sale for three quidlets :)
I actually bought a pucka back plate to mount it all on from ( I think ) A S Suspension for a very reasonable sum
Think I had change of £35 in the end

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you hit a big bump do the gauges self destruct???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No idea !! But after several years and an awful lot of bumps I certainly had no issues !

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
In the van recently imported I have a practically new Goldsmitt ? Air ride system with compressor under the bonnet guages and switch on the dash works very well (y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Rough cost of an air ride kit for the rear end ((self fit)) is how much please ???

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bought a kit last year from Marcle leisure cost about £400 and although you can get cheaper on ebay, the kits from marcle leisure use dunlop air springs so better quality/lifespan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A S was who I bought my basic kit from.. £225 ( but that was about 5 years ago )
Dunlop bags and all stainless fittings... and they bent over backwards to get it to me as we was off on a trip a few days later..Did the job with snow on the ground.. took me about half hour .. really easy job to do ( in fact I was surprised at HOW easy it was ! )

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks chaps. I will give it a serious look..
JAWS How has it changed/improved your vans ride please ??

Reactions: Al1

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They were fitted on the Miller .. Pug chassis and 4 tonnes .. Damned thing wallowed all over the road at the slightest bend.
Fitting the kit made it drive more like a car,,
We also noticed we were no where near as badly affected by fast lorries when on German autobahns and of course when parked up we never got sea sick

All in all I rate the mod right up there with solar panels.. Not essential for everyone but for us they were a true and worthwhile improvement to the over all motor homing experience

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks mate. Most informative. I take it you haven't fitted any to your Autotrail ??

PS. Just had a look and they are now £345 for the 2014 Ducato camper..

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No need.. It is a tag and rides about the same as the Miller with air bags :)

No roll and no sway !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a thought.. Someone at some time has spent a LOT of money on the Autotrail.. No idea what other Chieftains ride like so maybe our suspension has been changed in the past ?
Even FULLY loaded ( had to shift a load of tooling about 300 yards up the road ) the rear end has zero sag in it.. But I like a nice stiff one ( !!! :rofl: ) so it suits me well

Would be nice to have it adjustable like the Miller with the bags but cannot have it all I spose !

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have the new 2014 Tracker, must say it rides quite well already. Was just interested in the improvements if any.. I suspect 16 inch wheels would be my prefered 1st spend if anything.. Less of a tendency to dig itself onto a hole on wet/soft ground..
Glad to hear silence from you Re the dreaded step issue.. Oh dear I said it out loud !!
Something I learnt recently from Dan Howlett at Sargent.. The van will charge the leasure batts when on hook up, but if it senses a drop in veh batt volts it will swap over and charge it for a 4 hour block, then switch back.. Minor point but interesting I thought.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have the new 2014 Tracker, must say it rides quite well already. Was just interested in the improvements if any.. I suspect 16 inch wheels would be my prefered 1st spend if anything.. Less of a tendency to dig itself onto a hole on wet/soft ground..
Glad to hear silence from you Re the dreaded step issue.. Oh dear I said it out loud !!
Something I learnt recently from Dan Howlett at Sargent.. The van will charge the leasure batts when on hook up, but if it senses a drop in veh batt volts it will swap over and charge it for a 4 hour block, then switch back.. Minor point but interesting I thought.

16" wheels do make a big difference but be aware it alters the gearing quite a bit
Speedo would be out as would miles covered.. Also all gears would be 'taller'

Step..
Currently have the board out again :-(
What Charging unit do you have ? ( am sure you mentioned it before but canna remember ! )

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have the C500 unit which was fitted to all Autotrails made after 2011 ((according to"Dan the manHowlett at sargent )) Dan has answered all of my queries in the past, maybe try him re "the step". He also added that if you have a factory fitted solar (Max 100watt panel allowed to run through the C500 ECU ) Then when you couple the van up to EHU, the solar will then be switched over to charge the veh batt and leave the EHU mainly charging the hab batts...
I glean from your previous posts about the step, that you are very electricaly "savvy", so would not presume to give any tips, BUT, when we drove through water in La Manga with the last van (Autotrail) the step shot out !! As it was P***ing down, I gave the motor, which lived in a rubber boot under the step, A technical "Kick". It shot back in and never ever came out again !!! Despite "downpours biblical" several later days..
If this is total Bulls*** just ignore me !!
Mitch..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well given the whole thing works on a simple pulse that is very possible.. but mine just pops out when it has been parked up for days and there is nowt wet in the area at all !
Got something on the go at the moment after doing some research.. Will not get the result for about a week though as parts ordered

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a 2013 Tracker had dunlop air Susp to rear to uprate load it has made a lot of difference and doesn't get buffeted quite so much I think it cost around £500 fully fitted with adjuster and valve in the gas locker

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back