Air Suspension

Discussion in 'Forum News and Announcements' started by wiljoy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

After having a very bad experience with simple air suspension I have put off purchasing units for the last 10 years.
    My last experience with these quick fit units ended 4 miles after fitting and they simply fell off. They had been fitted with self tapping screws so a good job there.
    After doing much research I kept coming up with the same name from fellow motorhomers, AS Air Suspension of Warrington. Not the cheapest but I have done cheap to my cost. Feeling confident I paid for the units at Pickering Show and last week had them fitted, properly.
    The job was carried out in a very creditable manner with a very tidy workshop and very helpful staff. We left the vehicle at 9am and Catherine drove us to Warrington for a train to Liverpool. At 3pm we were collected and taken back to the van. Phil showed us the finished job before removing the vehicle from the pit, first class. I suggested they start a school for motorhome dealers regarding customer care and service, he passed on this one.
    I hope this helps others decide on a reputable company that offers REAL customer care but doesn't brag about it. There phone number is 01925 241200.
    Wiljoy:thumb:

2. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Wiljoy, how do you find it now? is there a noticeable difference on 5the road? I am thinkoing of having ABs fitted to our van, so any info would be a help.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

3. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

I too am considering so any user info would be handy

4. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Maybe it's the Yorkshireman in me but what was the total cost ie buying the kit and having it fitted ..reason I ask is I have an Autocruise Startrail and in my mind it's a tad close to the deck..I haven't bottomed it yet but there us always a first time and I've toyed with the idea of having it fitted and I keep hearing about this company!!

5. WillH

WillH Funster

Hi Wiljoy, is there a big difference with the ride and handling? Love to know.

Rgds
    Bill

6. theresa

theresa Read Only Funster

we had it fitted on our elddis by the same people . first class service by them . and will recommend them to any one . we had it fitted as our elddis had very low ground clearance and when boarding ferries we nearly always bottomed out . :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    as some one said not the cheapest , but hey you get what you pay for :Blush:

7. thestoneroller

thestoneroller Read Only Funster

Hi all
    I asked the same questions on air suspension not to long ago, if you look on the tech/mech forum you will find some useful info on this subject.

chris:thumb:

8. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Me too.Just rear units for now.Is it possible to build up to a fully auto system bit by bit?

ie Fronts later and then on-board compressor and control unit in the future?

9. charlie24

charlie24 Read Only Funster

AS Suspension are the kiddies. Great fitting service and aftersales. Transforms your van and worth every penny. Don't hesitate.

10. elliot kp

elliot kp Read Only Funster

hi there ,

graham from airide suspension in devon is another air suspension fitter to take note of.

they fitted the airide suspension to our L200 mitsubishi pick up in record time and did a first class job of it too.

11. 656

656 Read Only Funster

I asked Graham at GB Services to fit AB's to my Carioca 656 as I found the ride when being passed by lorries on the M25 to be unstable. What a difference it made, reduced oversteer, reduced body roll and made the whole experience driving the van more enjoyable. Would I have it fitted again? You damn right I would and by Graham. A first class service by expperts. They also supply and fit SOGS, but thats another story:Blush:

12. JayDee

JayDee Funster

That's who did ours (GB Services, Honiton). Super job. Brilliant product. Recommended.

John

13. American Dream

Some excellent recommendations here but no "Ball-Park" figures and what you got for your money.

I am seriously looking at a Full Front-Rear conversion for next year with possibly on-board control unit for leveling.:thumb:

14. wayfarer

wayfarer Read Only Funster

Hi, I fitted DriveRite (Firestone) air suspension to my last Camper and it made a huge difference to the handling, I have since traded up and have fitted another one even though the salesman at the camper showroom said it wasn't necessary on the newer vans. I fitted both units myself, very easy, about an hour in total, no drilling required. I find them great, big difference in handling especially on the way home from France with some wine on board.

15. pneumatician

pneumatician Read Only Funster

I have fitted two Air Assist systems to different vans neither used self tapping screws and I am trying to recall how they could have been utilised. Both systems are fitted easily within two hours and although I am a retired engineer a person with basic mechanical apptitude could complete the task provided the individual can comprehend the instructions.

I have on both occasions decided to use a single air supply based upon the idea of if a cylinder fails it would be better for the van to settle on an even keel rather than be one side high.

Steve.

16. American Dream

Cheers Guys.

What sort of cost/ special tools were involved please?

Steve (Wayfarer)...You mention both units.

Did you only do the rears?

Good Thinking....Something I hadn't considered.:Cool:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  17. wayfarer

wayfarer Read Only Funster

Rear only, when I mentioned both units I meant both vans. No special tools, just a few metric spanners. Cost in Ireland was €375 + Vat and fitted myself. I also used only one air supply so pressure equalizes between both units. If you have full air loss the units act as a bump stop. Check this site.
    http://www.driveriteltd.com/

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  18. American Dream

Many Thanks Pat....

Needless to say ....nothing's straightforward with mine ...but the site looks interesting.:thumb:

19. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

Fitted a Dunlop system from Marcle Leisure to my 1996 Hymer.If you are able to get underneath your motorhome and are reasonable with tools not too difficult on ducato chassis.Seperate air supply to each side but a single air supply for both sides, Pat sounds like a good idea and helps left right hight balance.
    Sid

20. pneumatician

pneumatician Read Only Funster

I have fitted both Firestone and Dunlop. Personally I prefered the air fittings and tube supplied with the Dunlop (Marcle) as these are mechanical screw fittings with a more flexible tube whereas firestone use Legris type push in fittings which are OK 99% of the time but on occasion you can get one that leaks also more care is required when preparing the tube which is nylon, larger bore and not so flexible.

No special tools required but axle stands are prefferable to house bricks. I know you would never trust a Jack alone when sitting with part of your anatomy under 3 ton of Van :)

Minor points I know.
    Steve