Air Suspension

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jdk62, Oct 16, 2016.

1. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

I saw the VB stand but only had time to grab a brochure at the NEC and am interested in air suspension.

We have an 8m van and wonder if any Funsters have this system and their thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We've got VB full air suspension fitted on a 7.6m a-class van.
    Whilst the van had a steady ride before fitting (little body roll) this has improved considerably, especially when overtaking and being overtaken
    Biggest difference though was the way the bumps in the road are smoothed out, which adds dramatically to driver comfort as well as virtually eliminating interior rattles.
    One of my favourite MH upgrades

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Does it help with levelling when on a site?

And if you don't mind what was the order of cost?

4. Robert Clark

We have E&P levelling jacks too, so don't use the air suspension for levelling. But I understand that you can pay extra for a levelling function, though I doubt it has much adjustment, nor will it offer the stability of hydraulic levellers.
    Think of it as an added bonus, rather than the reason to buy

Edit: sorry didn't see the bit about cost
    It's between £5k - £6k depending on spec

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We had a Dunlop system fitted tt our 7.5m van two years. It's been the making of it. (y)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. adonisito

adonisito Funster

You can't use air suspension to level the van, at least not on our's. It helps with handling though especially on roundabouts.

7. Robert Clark

Sorry, forgot to mention.
    Bring automatic, it constantly adjusts the ride hight to suit whatever load you're carrying.
    Also the front of our A-Class is now higher than it was - not by mutch, but they tend to be low down at the front due to the weight

8. Robert Clark

The Auto Level button (top left) is the one for levelling

IMG_5610.JPG

9. robrace

robrace Funster

Bought off eBay a air suspension kit for my transit based coach built.fitted it myself!well worth the £300 I spent! Vehicle handles so much better,reduces body roll when overtaking on motorway etc.

10. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Thanks Robert

How much movement does it have for levelling? If not too much, I guess having hydraulics levelling legs fitted could be worthwhile.

We live near Oxford and wonder who would be recommended for fitting?

11. Robert Clark

Both VB and E&P have a UK network of approved installers, many of which offer both systems, which incidentally can be linked together so that the air suspension lowers before the hydraulic levellers extend.
    One thing to remember though is to notify your insurers after fitting as this does class as a modification to the spec. of the vehicle.

12. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We visited the same stand and looked at the VB full air option. There is a leveling option but the adjustment margin we witnessed was small in comparison to the hydraulics. After much discussion we are thinking that we shall replace our front coil springs with some better ones and add hydraulics.

13. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Good information - many thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

We have the full VB air on our tag axle motorhome and it's fantastic. Expect to pay ~ £1500 per wheel, but in my opinion well worth it for the travel comfort it provides.

We too have the E&P for the level option as that provides the stability too. The air will provide a degree of level but doesn't offer the stability and range that the E&P provides.

The software that links the two systems together (VB & EP) dictates that the van is dropped to its lowest point on the air, which then gives a greater stroke range on the E&P hydraulic jacks for levelling.

If I had to budget for one only, it would be for the E&P level system and then search down the back of the sofa to upgrade the front springs to VB coil.

Cheers

Andy

15. rogher

rogher Funster

VB full air will give the best ride, but at a price (£6k for two axles). It can provide a small amount of levelling for a further £500 but, if you want levelling, then hydraulic rams are the way to go. Hydraulic rams provide much greater adjustment and a stable van because the chassis is held rigidly, whereas air allows the vehicle to rock as you move around in it. E&P is one of the best but there are others, such as HPC and Goldschmitt. I’d steer clear of Gliderite, though, especially if you want automatic levelling.

• Informative Informative x 1