air ride suspension

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dewaltman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. dewaltman

dewaltman

I have a Rapido A class on a mercedes chassis was wondering if anybody has any advice as to whether the improvement in performance is worth the cost of fitting air rides or an alternative

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I fitted the alternative to my last van and I can honestly say noticed a huge improvement.
    My current van comes with the system fitted as standard. Once again makes life grand,

Improves general ride, greatly reduces being buffeted by overtaking large vechiles, less roll

these are the things I noticed.

3. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Same here - Great to have it - ours was fitted by AS Air Suspension in Warrington - PM me if you want more info! :Rofl1::Rofl1:

4. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

I have been looking into air suspension.Can it be fitted just to the rear or does it have to be an "all-round" thing.

Would like to improve ride height and reduce wallow around corners especially at the rear of the "bus".

I gather from the blurb it can be adjusted using air compressors rather than just manually.:Cool:

5. charlie24

charlie24 Read Only Funster

I too had mine fitted by AS Suspension. Transformed my van particularily on motorway.

6. nemu

nemu Read Only Funster

7. Jaybee57

Jaybee57 Funster

We are having air-ride suspension fitted to our Rapido 987M tomorrow, as our driveway is too steep to get up without catching the towbar. I'll let you know what effect it has:Smile:

8. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Can only concur with these guys :thumb:. Had ours fitted by GB Services in Honiton and noticed an immediate and remarkable improvement in stabilty and ride quality.

Best accessory we bought, along with the Brake handle extender (this one Motorhome Handbrake Extender :BigGrin:).

John

9. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Had ours fitted in March by AS suspension of Warrington, very helpful and gave me lots of advice on how to get the best out of it.

Fitted only to the back wheels, raises the rear end about 8" which has proved very useful when embarking and disembarking the ferries to the continent.

AS let me look under the vehicle when it was over their pit so I could see what they had done and explained how the system works. They also told me that the vehicle, which had been recently serviced prior to collection had had the ALKO lubrication points lubricated. (I hope that makes sense).

I notice when driving on the motorways that buffeting from over taking vehicles is greatly reduced, also, when traveling last week in Cornwall the cross winds made very little effect as the rear end was nice and stable.

Very good decision to have it fitted.

10. The Wild Ones

The Wild Ones Read Only Funster

No idea what an MH is like without AS as our Pilote has it fitted, but agree with other folk on this matter, smooth ride and no lorry wagging on motorway when overtaken.

11. ronald4874

ronald4874 Read Only Funster

Air Rides on rear wheels

I have air rides fitted to the rear axle, (Peugeot Boxer) with independant air to each axle. This enables me to level the van easily especially when on a site that requires adjustment to the van level. I carry a scooter on the rear so the van is easily levelled for running along the road.
    Having had the units fitted the van total load and payload was increased officially from 3.2T to 3.8t by plating the vehicle, This certificate can be sent to the authorities to change the van weight characteristics.
    Air Rides do make a difference to the ride depending on the air pressure introduced to the air rides. I my case on low loads I air pressure to about 14PSI, higher loads (with scooter on) about 30PSI. This produces a level van in both cases which obviously produces the same driving characteristics.
    Regard Ron W

12. Hycon

Hycon Read Only Funster

Fitted kit to my 1996 Fiat Ducato Hymer (supplied by Marcle Leisure £299 complete) If you are a bit of a mechanic you can do it yourself as it comes with instructions. I fitted the system in about 3Hrs but you can do it quicker if you had done it before. If you bought a kit the local garage should be able to fit it for you. I have not found a vast improvement but the vehicle ride hight at the rear has gone up and it seems to handle better when going round corners and rounabouts.