Advise.. Give me some basics on tripods please. (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Looking for ideas on what to get our grandson for xmas.
He's currently on a film and media course and I notice he often borrows a camera tripod from college, so thinking thats maybe an idea for xmas present.
Had a sneaky look in the bag and its a BENRO AERO 2...
Found the website for Benro but they dont list "Aero", maybe a discontinnued model range ?
However seem to find a few new and used on the web but so many !!!

Can anyone give me some basics. ie Aluminium or carbon. Type of head seems to get mentioned.
He mainly uses a Cannon M50 ? to shoot film.

Found a few used Aero 4 on the web around £100.. Any good..
Budget up to £200 as a max.

Advance thanks for any input.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
If you can, go for carbon over aluminium. For £200 you should get a decent new one from a make like manfrotto, Benro, 3 legged thing or vanguard. Shop around as the same models do vary considerably in price depending where you look. Make sure it has things like built in levels in the head as he will need these.
Have a look here for some ideas

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don’t buy one with only two legs! :rofl:

Sorry Steve, couldn’t resist that one!

I have no idea what tripod to buy, but we’re so pleased Matt is on the course. I remember Irene saying he was going on an open day.

Please give him our best wishes for a star studded future. x

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Important thing to consider is what weight of camera that will sit on top? If it’s a SLR sized body then 2 or 3 section legs, no more (they are just too flimsy) carbon fibre if you can afford and it will need a fluid head of which there are so many and choice will be very personal to user.

Benro are sturdy and usually have waterproof legs but they can be heavy which can be good for sturdiness.
Also take a look at Smallrig on Amazon they have a lot of great kit for videographers.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Might be worth adding a remote shutter release to the present. Essential extra for a tripod if shooting stills and they don’t cost much. This one is compatible with the M50.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
A very useful extra would be a cable or electronic shutter release, which would avoid touching the camera whilst whilst it’s on the tripod. A bean bag is amazingly useful as well to make use of walls etc.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Looking for ideas on what to get our grandson for xmas.
He's currently on a film and media course and I notice he often borrows a camera tripod from college, so thinking thats maybe an idea for xmas present.
Had a sneaky look in the bag and its a BENRO AERO 2...
Found the website for Benro but they dont list "Aero", maybe a discontinnued model range ?
However seem to find a few new and used on the web but so many !!!

Can anyone give me some basics. ie Aluminium or carbon. Type of head seems to get mentioned.
He mainly uses a Cannon M50 ? to shoot film.

Found a few used Aero 4 on the web around £100.. Any good..
Budget up to £200 as a max.

Advance thanks for any input.
What kind of video camera does he use or is he using a DSLR camera for video as well as stills?

Where does he expect to be doing most of his filming and what height does he expect to raise the camera too?

I have use of many tripods for camera work and each have their advantages and disadvantages and it is worth knowing what circumstances your grandson plans to use it before buying one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Well within budget, l choose it because of it being light and stable supports my Canon R5 with a 150-600mm Lens very well.

GEEKOTO Carbon Fiber Tripod, Camera Tripod and Monopod, 79 Inch Professional Tripod with 360° Panoramic Ball Head and 1/4 Inch Quick Mounting Plate https://amzn.eu/d/3ntMh1C

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What kind of video camera does he use or is he using a DSLR camera for video as well as stills?

Where does he expect to be doing most of his filming and what height does he expect to raise the camera too?

I have use of many tripods for camera work and each have their advantages and disadvantages and it is worth knowing what circumstances your grandson plans to use it before buying one.

Cannon M50 and mostly video for college projects.
Unsure on other replies..

He has since indicated he might like a 3D printer :doh:

Thanks on all the input so far, I have it as a reference for when i start searching and when he makes up his mind. :whistle2:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Cannon M50 and mostly video for college projects.
Unsure on other replies..

He has since indicated he might like a 3D printer :doh:

Thanks on all the input so far, I have it as a reference for when i start searching and when he makes up his mind. :whistle2:
I'd look at a gimble ... it could stretch the budget (around £250) but might be even more useful ... again, it depends on what type of video work he plans to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back