advice on either a Carthago chic c line or C tourer (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
I am looking to purchase either of the above models and was wondering if any of you would be able to share your experiences of the build quality and why you choose that particular model. At present the bed layout between the 2 is the main reason for the choice and they other thing my wife has noticed is the lack of prep space for cooking on both models. Has anybody found that a problem.

Thanks
Carl

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Which bed layout are you looking for?

We've got a Chic C line 5.0 2015 model
Buiid quakity is great
Food prep space is limited on many Motorhomes, however on our van the sink cover converts to a chopping board and shelf.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My mate has a 2014 C-Tourer and very pleased with it, we looked at them at Caravan Salon, where they used to be built similar to the Chic's they have now cheapened them a lot even if you cough up for every extra you can't get to the same spec as my mates one. I reckon the Chic is now far better value. We very nearly bought a Chic but went for another Hymer in the end. Carthago build quality is excellent we just found the lounges too cramped and shower not very good.
Mr Hymer does exceedingly good showers. :D

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have a chic 15i 2006 build quality excellent .food prep we have
lids for sinks so id say good for mh
as all are limited we can cook meals from scratch as we have oven grill hob large f/f you can easily put a pop up table(camp) if you need to in the space by work area if your cooking
For a lot of people. I suppose but .
hopefully you will be able to cook
outside weather permitting. large db bed at back
plus dropdown at front .
we like ours but it's down to personal
taste/choice really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GBS
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have a 148 C Tourer and are delighted with it. Sure it has its compromises, there's only so much you can fit in a box of finite size but what's there is excellent. The build quality (of ours) really is superb even in areas hidden from view and the upholstery, furniture and fittings are great. The shower is a little small but go for a different model and get a separate stall. The beds are huge, the garage is huge, storage is enormous. The lounge and kitchen are therefore smallish but very comfy and well designed. Save some money and don't go for the factory fitted items like tv, satellite, reversing camera solar panel etc. These are all seriously overpriced, and I understand the factory alarm doesn't meet Thatcham requirements so isn't accepted by insurers. Expensive van but well worth it we think.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Yes lounge can be cramped but table easy to remove if want to
shower we find is good we find it on
par with our last van a hymer.
its what you like in the end we went to buy another hymer and got chic
in stead.

OP
OP
carls
Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
The bed layout my wife has seen is where it is against the back wall and you have space to walk around the end of the bed. Yes I was wondering about the lounges as the seat by the door cuts down the space available. We are also thinking about Hymers as well. Lenny why in your opion are the showers superior in a Hymer Unfortunately in our present motor home a Elnagh Clipper 21 adjacent to the stove is a large prep space but I was wondering why not use the space over the sink instead as part of that is a chopping board.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Loads of room!

IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The bed layout my wife has seen is where it is against the back wall and you have space to walk around the end of the bed. Yes I was wondering about the lounges as the seat by the door cuts down the space available. We are also thinking about Hymers as well. Lenny why in your opion are the showers superior in a Hymer Unfortunately in our present motor home a Elnagh Clipper 21 adjacent to the stove is a large prep space but I was wondering why not use the space over the sink instead as part of that is a chopping board.
That is the one my mate has the 142QB (I think) C-tourer. Now they have downgraded the Tourers I think a Chic is better value but they don't do that layout in the Chic.
We have looked in dozens of Carthago's yet to walk in one where the shower base doesn't creak and they make a right meal of the shower screens a good shower is important to us as we shower daily in the van, the washbasins are very plasticity and thin. Having said that had the lounge had been more roomy we may have ended up with a Chic, The side seat with the pop up TV behind it pushes the seat out into the seat out towards the centre & the TV doesn't swivel far enough for comfortable viewing from the passenger seat, also the end of the sofa sticks right out. Our Hymer which is narrower just feels so much more spacious.

I'm not knocking them they just don't suit us.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The improved view from an A class is worth considering too, if you plan to spend a lot of time driving.

Broken Link Removed

Versus

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We have the CTourer Sport QB - 2016. We are very pleased with it. It feels solid compared to other motor homes we have had.
We have changed the table top as felt it was too big (I seem to be growing at an alarming rate ;) )
We have had ourselves, our two dogs, our daughter and grandson in there quite comfortably.

OP
OP
carls
Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
Thanks for the replies plenty of food for thought. We are looking at an A Class as both of the children sail and we spent a considerable amount of weekends driving them around the UK and Europe for various events. So we are thinking of more comfort. Solar Panels and an inverter are also important as at a lot of events there isn't any hook up but showers are plentiful. We are also keeping an eye on the fact that we also want to use it for more weekends away which don't always involve sailing. Just as an example we use our current motorhome at least twice a month and we have just finished 6 weekends away in a row. It gets plenty of use

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
We've just bought a new Chic C Line T 4.9 and so far we're very pleased with it (it's a 2016 build 3 litre Comfort-Matic). Build quality is very solid. It's also the quietest motorhome I've had (I'm talking about rattles, bangs, squeaks and road noise here). Our last motorhome was a 2012 Hymer 'A' class and I'd say the Carthago is every bit as good, if not better in some respects. It's not perfect but they're all a compromise.

The shower is better (in my opinion) in our Carthago, compared to the Hymer, but that is because we've now got a separate shower. Plenty of water pressure too.

'A' class or coach build? Each to their own but we decided an 'A' class was not for us this time around. I don't think there's actually any more useable space in them than there is is a coach build; it just feels like there is. The cab seats are in exactly the same place in either an A class or a coach build. The only advantage seems to be the drop down bed at the front, which is not important to us. Others may disagree, depending upon your usage and needs of course.

Disadvantages? Well, for a Carthago Chic C Line A class compared to a coach build, about £20,000 to start with. Windscreens are expensive (but that's an insurance problem) and far more difficult to get hold of than a Fiat Ducato screen. Same story for headlights and front valance etc in the event of an 'incident'. However, if circumstances change I'd certainly have an A class again.

All in all, we're very happy with it.

Mike

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
The moterhome shows are a good place to look at layouts
And sizes etc see the rally threads for info.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for the replies plenty of food for thought. We are looking at an A Class as both of the children sail and we spent a considerable amount of weekends driving them around the UK and Europe for various events. So we are thinking of more comfort. Solar Panels and an inverter are also important as at a lot of events there isn't any hook up but showers are plentiful. We are also keeping an eye on the fact that we also want to use it for more weekends away which don't always involve sailing. Just as an example we use our current motorhome at least twice a month and we have just finished 6 weekends away in a row. It gets plenty of use
Do you have a C1 category on your license as with the kids & sailing gear on board you are going to need at least a 4000kg chassis, even the Tourers don't really work 3500kg being used by two people.

Reactions: f6c
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm saving up for yours as I love it and it's our ideal van . So if you still have it in 2027 I'm your man
If it's not sold by the end of July then a Carthago dealer has offered to sell it on commission basis. They reckon they'll have more chance of selling it as they offer finance and can take a trade in too.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
But not to see second-hand layouts from 5-6 years ago, and the way they have stood up to wear.[/QUOTE
There's normally both new and used moterhomes at the shows we go to. we bought our currant van from one. a 10 year old cathego.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We have the Chic C Line and can recommend the build quality. Very few problems all of which except one, have been minor and easily fixed.

OP
OP
carls
Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
yes we both have a C1 category on our license. In terms of the sailing kit its all in a box trailer with only the clothing and toolkit in the van. The rest is normal stuff taken by anybody in a motor home, beer, wine, the wife :D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So you'll need a Tow Bar then ?
And a good size battery bank and 2kw Inverter?
And plenty of solar panels?

How about Full Air Suspension and Hydraulic Levelling Jacks?

OP
OP
carls
Jul 4, 2016
sidcup
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic c line 5.0
Exp
a few years
Yes Robert to all the above. we don't have levelling jacks at present in our current Van but I understand the benefit as presently our toilet shower etc is at the back of the van and there is always the bounce effect when some one is in there. Full air suspension would need to test drive to understand the benefit

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes Robert to all the above. we don't have levelling jacks at present in our current Van but I understand the benefit as presently our toilet shower etc is at the back of the van and there is always the bounce effect when some one is in there. Full air suspension would need to test drive to understand the benefit

We've got all of the above on our van.
Selling it over the summer as we're awaiting delivery of a new van.

Drop me a PM if you want details - we're based near Uckfield in East Sussex, if you fancy a look - if only to confirm that it's the right spec model for you.

Best of luck finding your van.

I'd certainly recommend the Air Suspension for the massive improvement it makes to ride comfort and handling. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back