Free Member
Nov 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hello,
My husband and I are considering buying a small camper at some point in the near future. It will be our first one and we really are complete novices to the campervan world so would really like some pointers!
We are looking for something fairly small as it's just the two of us. It needs to have a sink and cooker and ideally a loo but not essential as we can just get a camping toilet if we need to, would ideally like one that is tall enough to stand up in too. We plan to use the camper quite frequently as it will be our only vehicle so will be used day to day as well as on long distance trips. We have a budget of around £5000. Will it be possible to get something in decent condition for this sort of price?
Also if anyone can give us a rough idea of running costs for a small camper such as tax, insurance, petrol etc that would be wonderful.
We quite like the look of the VW T25 but think this might be out of our budget so would consider something along those lines but cheaper!
Any advice would be much appreciated :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
VW will be too expensive, but you could look at Mazda Bongo conversions. They're basic but work.
Good luck. I hope you have plenty of FUN.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A VW with a pop top would be ideal, a,though we loved our high top Autosleeper Topaz, but finding one in your budget, that might be a problem.
Don't give up though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zayna85

Free Member
Nov 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Have seen some mazda bongos online and quite like the look of them. Are they very expensive to insure and run? Does anyone know. We have only ever had small cars so this will be a real jump up for us.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Shouldn't be any more expensive to insure than a car of same age/value. Of course running visits will depend on any bills that possibly could come along but again no different to an older car.
I just had a quick look at Mazda Bongo online and saw what looked like a lovely one £5950 on gumtree so they can be obtained.
I don't think you would regret it.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
You could have a look at Wellsbridge Motors near Ramsey Cambridgeshire. However I think your budget is a little low. There is always Ebay and its off-springs like Gumtree etc.
However, if you have the skills to rebuild/repair both engines and bodywork, you could pick up a decent sized van to convert.
Although you are looking at vans in the lower price bracket, do not consider anything with damp unless the skills I mentioned could overcome some difficult obstacles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zayna85

Free Member
Nov 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We considered converted a van but really don't have the skills required.
The only thing with the bongo... As it's an import would parts be difficult to get?

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There is a Bongo user forum. If you're keen on a Bongo, I suggest you join up and should get much more detailed info from there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zayna85

Free Member
Nov 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you, I will do. Would consider alternatives though so if anyone has any other ideas

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
remember the lez zone inside the m25 as your in essex it could be a problem
5k is probably a bit low budget realy if the lez is a problem check the registration number of any potential purchase
Link Removed
some vw's come into it so i would assume similar sized vans can be affected its to do with unladen weight and engine type it only applies to deisels

Upvote 0

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just a thought,Have you looked at romahome,compact but could be ideal if it`s going to be your only means of transport. As riverbankannie has said you won`t regret it,Whatever you choose,good luck & happy travels.Chris & jean.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zayna85

Free Member
Nov 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you for pointing out the lez! I never would have thought of that. Will definitely look at romahomes. It may be that we can afford more than 5k, depends how well we do out of our house sale. If we can up the budget we will as want something decent

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zayna85

Free Member
Nov 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Ooh the romahomes are perfect!!! This is what we are going to aim for I think although we will need to up our budget. Will be worth it though!!

Reactions: kip
Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Zayna, welcome to fun. You would be best to subscribe to the forum. At £15 per year it really is good value and will allow you unlimited posts and access to all sections of the forum, add on the endless advice and banter and you will see it's money well spent:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back