Adult Only Sites (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good question, one I have also pondered ..

Is this a reference to the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union ?

which says

Article 21. Non-discrimination

1. Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited.

so by that reckoning a 16 year old can live in a retirement home and an 80 year old can have a place in a creche....by european law.(age discrimination)

surely, a campsite owner will rent you a piece of grass for a given time but he reserves the right to select who he rents to.
if the letter of the law was upheld, then his site could be over-run with [STRIKE]Itinerant's[/STRIKE] ...travellers and theres nothing he could do about it. (race discrimination)

as with many euro laws.....no real thought when they're proposed.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
surely, a campsite owner will rent you a piece of grass for a given time but he reserves the right to select who he rents to.

Don't think that is correct now, Pappajohn - just remember the case of the hotel keepers in Cornwall recently who decided that according to their religious beliefs they would not accept anybody who was not legally married.

A gay couple turned up - were refused entry - sued the hoteliers and won.

The hoteliers have now gone out of business.

Dick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, like all similar EU publications, applies to public bodies, not private individuals and organisations. That is why the Human Rights Act in the UK only applies to public bodies.

Application of equalities legislation to private individuals and organisations comes about when governments enact domestic legislation (including that which the hotel keepers fell foul of).

It is, though, important to remember that the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union includes the following provisions in the Preamble (my emphasis):
The Union contributes to the preservation and to the development of these common values while respecting the diversity of the cultures and traditions of the peoples of Europe as well as the national identities of the Member States and the organisation of their public authorities at national, regional and local levels; it seeks to promote balanced and sustainable development and ensures free movement of persons, goods, services and capital, and the freedom of establishment.
and
Enjoyment of these rights entails responsibilities and duties with regard to other persons, to the human community and to future generations.
It is when governments (such as New Labour when enacting the HRA) sacrifice those principles on the altar of party dogma that we get legislation which produces rights without responsibilities and ignores national identity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Don't think that is correct now, Pappajohn - just remember the case of the hotel keepers in Cornwall recently who decided that according to their religious beliefs they would not accept anybody who was not legally married.

A gay couple turned up - were refused entry - sued the hoteliers and won.

The hoteliers have now gone out of business.

Dick

I dont think they went out of business. They may have packed it all up in disgust but they didnt go out of business.

The two homosexuals tried to sue for more money, they then realised that they were breaking the law and withdrew their claim.

Con artists the two of them.

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Depends on how I am feeling. Sometimes just fancy a quiet time and it can be very nice with adults although some can be worse then kids::bigsmile:

But my pet hate is sites with statics and school holiday times as brings out of the the worst families. :hardhat:

I would try for adult only during school holiday periods but generally all full.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We stopped at one because it was on the route we wanted to go, but have to say we enjoyed it, swimming pool very relaxing, shop with all sorts in with a honesty box, tea and coffee to make when you wanted by the pool every one very friendly, also shelves of books to borrow as you wanted, not saying all these things aren't available without any restrictions a a site for family's but I have not come across one.

So I would certainly go to another if it was where we wanted to go at the time. Having said that I am looking forward to camping this year with my daughter and our two teenage grandchildren, so I suppose its horses for courses.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, like all similar EU publications, applies to public bodies, not private individuals and organisations. That is why the Human Rights Act in the UK only applies to public bodies.

Application of equalities legislation to private individuals and organisations comes about when governments enact domestic legislation (including that which the hotel keepers fell foul of).

Thanks for your informative reply Graham .

I delayed replying until I found the legislation you refer to .. I believe this is the Equality Act 2010 ?

Basically it says

Under the Equality Act 2010 people who access your goods, facilities and services are protected from discrimination on the basis of a 'protected characteristic'.

The relevant protected characteristics are:

* sex
* disability
* religion or belief
* sexual orientation
* gender reassignment
* pregnancy and maternity
* race, which includes ethnic or national origins, colour and nationality
[HI]
Age is not currently covered.[/HI]

I think this answers the OP question

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for your informative reply Graham .

I delayed replying until I found the legislation you refer to .. I believe this is the Equality Act 2010 ?

That's the one Jim. After chickening out in 2005, New Labour finally got round to replacing the various pieces of separate equalities legislation with a single Act which was supposed to make equality fair and practical. As usual, though, they messed up because they missed out age and didn't cater for cases where two of the supposed protected characteristics (in this case religion/belief and sexual orientation) are factors.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are currently on one near royal tunbridge wells, didnt realise it was one mind until we turned up and on the gate it has in big writing, no children past this point....It is nice and quiet for a change though although I like to hear children playing but not when they scream and shout as they did when we were on a haven holiday and booked that not realising it was bank holiday, never again, I will seek these sites out again on a bank holiday.
we had stones thrown over the fence where there was another camp site so that put us off, just missed our motorhome with our solar panelon, that was a near miss, had to leave the site till kids went back to school.
And as another poster said no toilet rolls stuffed down the pan and soggy toilet paper thrown on to the ceiling to see if will stick like a pancake, yuk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back