Free Member
May 18, 2010
leamington spa
Funster No
MH
auto trail
Exp
since 2000
Hi to all i am thinking about selling up and living in my van does anyone know anywhere in Spain or somewhere warm that you can stay for a few months or longer and how much would it cost weekly also any other advise is welcome keep well to all Mick.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You can stay on most campsites or camperstops for as long as you want. The price is usually discounted for long stays. It all depends on what you want to do as to where you stay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
A lot of aires are free with water and dump facilities etc. However, some of the areas are existing rather than living. The advantage is you can move on.

OP
OP
mickyv

mickyv

Free Member
May 18, 2010
leamington spa
Funster No
MH
auto trail
Exp
since 2000
Hi guys thanks for info I have just sold my auto trail and looking for a new second hand one was thinking of buying another auto trail coach built but with garage, but am torn between a class models as well is there any one who has had both and what would you all suggest sorry for all the questions but I need to get this right lol many thanks again Mick

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
micky, the most successful full timer here is JJ, anything he writes about living on the move is worth reading.

Ian is still learning but worth reading because of that, there are a few others here who are accomplished at living and working from their motor home such as Gromett but as for as I know only in the UK?
I think JJ's advice to hang on to some form of UK property is very good advice, worth making an effort for if you can.

As to MH I would buy German for the reliability. Ian the Builder appears for have the perfect one for him and I know a bit about the Hymer B544 which again is a quality motorhome perfectly suited to 1 or 2 people.

My advice is... hold on to and believe in your dream, accept you are going against the mainstream and that will make a few things harder than being conventional, but get to where you want to go in the way you want to do it as it will be 100% worth it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have had two Auto trail coach builds and now have a Hymer Exsis i698 it's by far the best of the three and suits us really well but everyone is different however in our view with the A class you have lots more useable space at the front as you are not confined by the van cab as in coach builds :):)(y)

OP
OP
mickyv

mickyv

Free Member
May 18, 2010
leamington spa
Funster No
MH
auto trail
Exp
since 2000
many thanks guys and gals ill take it all on board got about 9 months before I need to be on my way so no rush ill carry on with the research and hope to meet some of you one day keep well Mick

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have lived in my van in Portugal for decades... only use paid for sites every now and again.
Do you not own your own land? How do you survive...bet you have a story or t
wo to tell. :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Do you not own your own land? How do you survive...bet you have a story or t
wo to tell. :)

I have a small, private orchard which I call "Quinta Majay" (QMJ).

It is in Central Portugal, in a forest, up in the hills. Recently I have been spending quite a lot of time there but whenever I get a bit "stir crazy" I go off on mini adventures around beautiful Portugal.

I usually spend Christmas and New Year near one of the beaches in the Algarve.

At the moment I am with my better half who lives in the South of France.

Life is good to me.

(Don't get me telling stories... Funsters that know will tell you I go on and on and on and on... ;) )

JJ :cool:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@JJ. That sounds ideal. Are you legally allowed to park up on the orchard? Do you need to be actively growing stuff on it? Do they come up for sale often?

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
And best of all JJ is a sky blues fan .
well thats just about ruined the idea i had of @JJ.
i thought he had some sense,mind you having the better half live in another country sound perfect.
ps, dont tell the wife i said that:):):)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi to all i am thinking about selling up and living in my van does anyone know anywhere in Spain or somewhere warm that you can stay for a few months or longer and how much would it cost weekly also any other advise is welcome keep well to all Mick.
4 Months in Spain 2 people £2,000 or £125 a week, that includes ferries and fuel, the longer you stay the cheaper it gets.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Boringfrog, was this free camping, camp sites, time of year and eating out, driving through France of ferry to Spain? All sounds interesting, can you flesh it out?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could be 6 months .i person ,no eating out , no bars , no campsites .
but having beer ,wine almost every night with friends .
wild or free camp all the time .take 200 quids worth of dried tinned food from uk . buy 282 quids worth in spain , inc beer and wine ,
fuel 480 quid .
ferry return plus travel club yearly fee 530 return plymouth -santander.
thats what i spent last winter.
did bring some beer back and filled my diesel tanks to come home . but that isnt part of the holiday.
mind shant be buying any beer or wine all summer and might not be buying uk diesel. only came back with 400ltrs of diesel.
but say 1600 quid 6 months in spain . for 1 person cant be bad .

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Boringfrog, was this free camping, camp sites, time of year and eating out, driving through France of ferry to Spain? All sounds interesting, can you flesh it out?
Free campng apart from 5 nights @ €7 a night, Driving through France down to The Cabo de Gata, no eating out apart from 2 beers (treat). Feb-May.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back