Added extras (2 Viewers)

Sep 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi all.
I’m going to have some extra kit put on the van. Solar, lithium batteries ect ect. Probably over 2k worth of stuff by the time it’s finished so do I need to inform my insurance company? Is this classed as modification or not as nothing is being altered structurally. Any experience of this and what you did would be helpful. Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely tell them, they may include it as part of your original cover and overall value but if not then it may incur a small extra premium to increase the amount covered.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
My take on it is there will be a question asking if there are any modifications to the vehicle. If all work was done by dealer and clearly stated on your bill then there are none IMHO, but if after market then yes you should declare, they don't necessarily increase premium, I've declared E&P levelling and uprated front springs and both were told not required to tell them.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some insurance companies have introduced special rules about aftermarket solar panels, best talk to them first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PattyG
Sep 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
Thank you all for your answers and advice.
I think I'll speak to my insurance company first and go from there. Maybe it's better to just get a new lithium battery and a portable power bank, something like a Jackery with portable solar panel? Dilemma!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back