ADAC..... Really??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have tried to find answers to the many questions I have regarding ADAC and so far no real answers

There are many people on here who are current members and have renewed over the years.......

So here are my questions:

1. Anyone joined new since 2015?

2. Is it true that AA will have nothing to do with ADAC hence no UK cover?

3. If I or my wife require medical repatriation back to the UK will ADAC pay for it and do they provide this cover even if we have gone on holiday without the van? (worldwide?)

4. Can I join online?

5. Can I pay by bank transfer?

6. Has anyone actually used ADAC for recovery or repatriation in the last 12 months?

There seems to be many 'happy' ADAC members who don't really know how well they are covered, because they have never made a claim :eek:

I need actual facts.

Anyone?? :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

1 People have joined
    2 false.. We had the AA out a year ago
    3 yes.. But read the terms (as you should anyway).. So it's for a vehicle.. Not personal
    4 no.. Not in you're in the uk
    5 don't think so.. Debit or credit card over the phone
    6 I haven't..

A translation of the terms is available.. (maybe in the download area)

To be honest if you're so concerned why don't you just join a UK based company..

Adac are a massive world renowned company and I trust them but don't really want to have to use them..

Another thing you could do is phone them and ask them all these questions.. They speak excellent English and tend to be very efficient and knowledgeable

• Like Like x 2
  3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

1) Three friends of mine have joined in the last couple of years, on my recommendation.
    2) Adac had problems with AA (not the other way round) - I first heard of this a while back when some eejit filled my MH with unleaded late one night in Derbyshire, resulting in a come-to-a-standstill situation 15 miles down the A6 from Derby. Phoned Adac, English-speaking lady answered, took all the details of the MH, location etc., and nature of the problem. She relayed the info to the AA, saying they had told her they would be with me within 30 mins. She phoned me every 20 mins. or so from then on. 50 mins. later an AA patrol rang me and said he'd be with me in 20 mins. I asked him if he knew exactly where I was - No, he replied. I told him and he said Good lord, I'm in Mansfield & it'll take me an hour to get to you. I then asked if he was aware I was in a MH, and that wrong fuel was in it. Oh, he said, can't do MHs, can't help. Adac meanwhile was still phoning at regular intervals to hear of progress. She said she was fed-up with the lack of communication at AA. She then said she would sort out help from another quarter. Within 15 mins. she'd organised an independant outfit to come out with a proper recovery vehicle. I was offered a hotel for the night. Everything got sorted with no help from AA.
    3) Breakdown cover is for anywhere in Europe including all countries bordering the Med., but medical cover applies anywhere in the world. (I haven't yet tested this personally but another friend was flown back to France from somewhere in North Africa - Tunisia or somesuch)
    4) Easy to ring & join over the phone - takes just a few minutes.
    5) Can pay by bank transfer, for renewals anyway, but I've always used debit cards (UK & French)
    6) Not personally. Last year a friend's Transit dumped its water near Pont-l'Evèque one Saturday, while he was on his way down to us, towing a caravan. He was sorted within two hours & on his way again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stcyr

stcyr Funster

You need to ask for 'Plus' membership. This has got nothing to do with spouses but gives extra benefits like vehicle repatriation, fixing at home (30 miles from home if you are resident in Germany) etc. to those not living in Germany...

partnerPlus includes spouse/children up to 23 ... even if travelling independently.

Just remembered - one of our sons broke down in his car on his way home to Wales from north England, with Mrs. & two babies. I texted him my membership number from here and he was sorted - this time the problem was simple enough for the AA to cope with :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. stcyr

stcyr Funster

What ADAC memberships are available?

The ADAC offers standard rates at several reduced membership types. In general, a distinction is made between an ADAC membership as always for yourself or a partner in the ADAC membership package (for you and your partner). The following species are currently ADAC membership ADAC available:

1. Classic ADAC membership (protection only in Germany)
      Standard: 49,00 € / year
      Standard tariff package as a partner: 69,00 € / year
      Under 27 still in education: 37,00 € / year
      Under 27 still in training as a partner package: 57,00 € / year
      Severely disabled fare: 37.00 € / year
      Severely disabled tariff as a partner package: 57,00 € / year
    2. ADAC Plus membership (world protection)
      Standard: 84,00 € / year
      Standard tariff package as a partner: 109,00 € / year
      Under 27 still in education: 97,00 € / year
      Under 27 still in training as a partner package: 97,00 € / year
      Severely disabled fare: 72.00 € / year
      Severely disabled tariff as a partner package: 97,00 € / year
      1. ADAC Young Generation / ADAC Starter (initial rates with low annual premiums)
        Under 18 year olds: 0,00Euro / year
        Novice drivers with 17 years (accompanied driving) in the first year: 0,00 € / year *
        Novice drivers under 25 years in education: The first year: 0,00 € / year *
        Novice drivers not in education: The first year: € 0.00 / year
        18 - 23 year olds in education: 24,00 € / year
        18 - 23 year olds not in education: 24,00 € / year * from the second year each episode favorable rates are available

• Like Like x 1
  7. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Has anyone got a phone number for them. The one I tried worked out at £3.50 a minute !!!!!! Think we want to join, especially with the benefits on offer. (y)(y)

8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Are you sure about 3 above. My understanding of my membership (ADAC Plus) covers me personally whatever vehicle I might be in for medical emergency including repatriation and is not for the vehicle.

Here is an extract from my terms and conditions,

Insurance certificate for ADACPlus membership

Security by ADAC safe services
    ADAC has arranged a group insurance contract with the ADAC assurance of safe-AG, Munich, in support of ADACPlus members of the Association. This is the group conditions of the insurance ADAC safe Versicherungs-AG for the underlying ADACPlus membership. The insurance covers Europe-wide, vehicle-related services such as assistance following breakdown, accident, vehicle theft, and worldwide, ADACPlus personal services for members and their families in the event of illness, injury and death.

The ADACPlus member and his (marriage) partner’s vehicles are all protected. Both drivers are also protected in third party vehicles. The beginning and end of the insurance cover are as covered under the terms of the ADACPlus membership.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

.. Obviously you are correct... But there has to be a vehicle... The op was asking about no vehicle

• Like Like x 1
  10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

ADAC Plus membership

The Plus membership is equipped with all the advantages of classical membership. Furthermore, the Plus membership is a combination of the ADAC membership and services from the ADAC Euro protection letter.

The additional benefits are:

• Wide, comprehensive protection for people who travel a lot. Protected on all trips, identical for which transport them decide
    • Eligible protection for vehicles that do not belong to you (car rental record, professional vehicle)
    • Protection of the World: The performance of the Plus membership apply not only in Germany, but throughout Europe and selected countries outside the EU.
    The Plus membership is currently available in the following rates:

• Standard ADAC Plus membership: 84,00 € / year
    • Under 27 years in education: 72,00 € / year
    • Severely disabled fare: 72.00 € / year
    In addition to the "normal" ADAC Plus membership, there is the Partner Plus package. The Partner Plus package provides additional protection for the partner or the whole family is included!

The terms of the ADAC Plus membership including partner and / or family:

• Partner Membership: 109,00 € / year (reduced: 97,00 € / year)
    • Under 27 years in education: 87,50 € / year
    • Partner membership and othe people (between 18-23 years) 134,00 € / year

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Thanks again guys, in the end I am going with Safeguard.........all in, best price :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. bellabee

bellabee Funster

You can, indeed, pay by bank transfer - at least in the case of renewals. The renewal forms which they send through each year, asks you to pay by means of the IBAN system. This is what I do. As the documentation is in German, though, you may have a problem with the paperwork if you don't read German.

We've had the AA out to a breakdown in the van and to a home start for the car, through ADAC, during the last 12 months.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stcyr

stcyr Funster

How much do Safeguard charge??

14. stcyr

stcyr Funster

0049 941 55673

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Be interesting to hear what safeguard charged you for similar cover..
    I've not heard of any UK company coming closed to Adacs price

16. tjay

tjay Funster

I rejoined today and paid via a phone call to very nice male member of staff who spoke perfect English. Took out the Adac Plus cover as both of us are registered disabled plus wife does not drive.
    I have used them 3 times over the years with no problems at all, twice in the UK and once in Spain.
    recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

@stcyr vehicle insurance and breakdown cover all in for less than £350 (y) The insurance is of course variable but I have included protected NCB, keeping the van on the road at home, and a traffic offences on my license, these three things bump up the premium considerably :eek:

To go with ADAC I would have need to get insurance alone at £250 or less........... it was never gonna happen for me :(

19. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in the medical repatriation part of this and what happens if you need help, do you speak to an english person in Germany or is it a whole load of hassle?
    Our travel insurance won't upgrade as we came to spain without phoning first, we thought it covered us, long story.

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Dunno about medical side of things, but as to phoning them, I always use Skype.. Cost is about 8 pence in total !

• Like Like x 1