abandoned vans? (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Being a fulltimer I tend to notice the vans that seem to be dumped in the same spot for prolonged periods of time.

I used to park at Portobello, Edinburgh whenever I was down seeing family and there were all sorts there, mostly caravans right enough but the odd van.

Along the coast a bit in Musselburgh you can park at the harbour but there are 2 vans that have been in the same spot for at least 6 months. Never seen anyone at them. Never moved even when parking restriction notices were put up for the harbour fair a few days ago. All the stalls and catering etc had to work around them. I never park here for more than 3 nights before moving on.

One is fully legal but one has no mot and they are slowly deteriorating... broken mirrors, now one has a flat tyre so no one seems to be looking after them?

Is it the same every where? They are cheap vans but someone must own them, why not maintain them?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Being a fulltimer I tend to notice the vans that seem to be dumped in the same spot for prolonged periods of time.

I used to park at Portobello, Edinburgh whenever I was down seeing family and there were all sorts there, mostly caravans right enough but the odd van.

Along the coast a bit in Musselburgh you can park at the harbour but there are 2 vans that have been in the same spot for at least 6 months. Never seen anyone at them. Never moved even when parking restriction notices were put up for the harbour fair a few days ago. All the stalls and catering etc had to work around them. I never park here for more than 3 nights before moving on.

One is fully legal but one has no mot and they are slowly deteriorating... broken mirrors, now one has a flat tyre so no one seems to be looking after them?

Is it the same every where? They are cheap vans but someone must own them, why not maintain them?
People pushed into van life by circumstances beyond their control. no money to maintain them. quite a few are just basically a shed where they can sleep with a lock on the door and roof over their head. Sad :(

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
People pushed into van life by circumstances beyond their control. no money to maintain them. quite a few are just basically a shed where they can sleep with a lock on the door and roof over their head. Sad :(
Yeah nobody lives in these ones though. Blinds never shut, never any lights on. I thought they would have been better off selling them if they weren't getting the use out of them.

The problem is the more tatty they get the more chance of locals complaining about them being there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
On the A82 yesterday just outside Glencoe and there was a converted van/ camper with police tape around it, it was there a month ago also.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I did wonder but presume the police would have clocked them if they were. The police were actually at the fair the other day so half expected the non M.O.T'd one to be carted off.
Could it be, exactly where they are parked is Private Land or the owner is in nick, so the Police do not want to incur costs they can't recoup?
It's expensive sending a vehicle to the tip if it's not worth a Scapper taking it. 🤔

It could belong to a foreign owner, strange rules attached.

Last edited:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I see a lot at storage sites that have camping attached, some have been parked up nearly new but not moved for years. I know there can be I'll health reasons etc but storage isn't cheap nowadays.
Where mine is stored there are at least 4 vehicles that have not moved in the last 6 years.

To be fair I now live on a marina and quite a few boats look like they are abandoned, some sank in this years floods but the management have had no luck contacting the owners despite the mooring fees still being paid 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I see a lot at storage sites that have camping attached, some have been parked up nearly new but not moved for years. I know there can be I'll health reasons etc but storage isn't cheap nowadays.
Where mine is stored there are at least 4 vehicles that have not moved in the last 6 years.

To be fair I now live on a marina and quite a few boats look like they are abandoned, some sank in this years floods but the management have had no luck contacting the owners despite the mooring fees still being paid 🤷‍♂️
It is strange. The owner could get rid of them for pennies rather than having them sitting there doing nothing.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Yes, when I lived near the Thames in Surrey, I used to wander around the marina's wishing I could pay rent and live on some of the abandoned boats.
I enquired a number of times but the answer was always NO!
What a waste! 😢

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It is strange. The owner could get rid of them for pennies rather than having them sitting there doing nothing.
It's possible the owner has died and the family either don't know about the van or can't find it - assuming there is a family 😟

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012

There was parked at the Harbour for years quite a large motorhome. I haven't been down to the Harbour for years but was there before 2016 when I left Musselburgh.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
That's the thing...the storage cost must still be being paid so I guess there hands are tied.
The whole site where I store mine was recently sold to CCC and they are having big problems contacting owners 🤷‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back