Abacist first time to Mainland Spain! (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Orange season in Spain starts November probably through until April/May, they have seasonality like everybody else:)
yes grape picking in france sept -oct . then on to spain orange picking . nov and then half way through december off to morocco. did it in the 70,s . hard work but it was interesting . payed the way for winter sun.

Deleted User
With mechanism now on farms is there much hand picking of grapes left ?

Short answer......no:)

They have these strange narrow tall machines that fit between the rows but I dare say there are some areas where the terrain is too rugged or steep ( or the growers too poor ) where hand picking is still the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont think there is . but still alot of hand picking of oranges in spain .
last few years spent most of november and december surrounded by orange groves .
from peniscola to valencia . how i dont turn into an orange is beyond me . eat loads of them.
friends give us bags full of them. slightly damaged or green streaks on the skins etc . its amazing how much waste there can be . luckily locals get free oranges from the waste .think we are classed as locals these days . some of the kids i knew back years ago are still around . and teenagers we knew . mind like us are grandads these days .

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Orange season in Spain starts November probably through until April/May, they have seasonality like everybody else:)

I wrongly assumed that their season would be about now but haven't seen any fruit on any trees yet; probably still green and blending in with the leaves. I thought we'd missed them as we were too late but it seems I've come too soon, story of my life! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I went to France for a month in September 1970 with 2 friends when we left school and ended up on the beach at Frejus. Got to know 2 local girls and lads and we all went grape picking for the local cooperative. Turn up in the town square and you got carted off to whichever farm wanted their grapes picked next. First farm there were 2 different vines mixed in together and we were only supposed to pick one of the varieties. Unfortunately we could'nt see the difference so I expect we buxxered up their vintage that year! For elevenses you got a drink which was Pastis/Ricard I.e. Aniseed drink that you poured down your throat because you were thirsty and then 3 minutes later you wished you hadn't drunk it as you felt twice as thirsty as before!

Bliss when at last we were taken to pick Provence rose grapes which were a delight to eat but the red ones were foul!

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Short answer......no:)

They have these strange narrow tall machines that fit between the rows but I dare say there are some areas where the terrain is too rugged or steep ( or the growers too poor ) where hand picking is still the way.
Straddle carriers they're called. Saw some grapes vines in southern France all laid out for machines. You'd need a huge amount to make it worthwhile I would have thought .
A similar system is used for olive picking , if you can afford it. Used to be 200€/hour.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in 76 we picked around cognac . was really rainy and bare feet were the way.
ideally drink it with grenadine or creme de cassis . or peppermint .
but pastis 51 is lovely. ha ha .

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cycled to Peniscola today, looked at the castle, shops and had lunch and then ice cream/sorbet on the way back!

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
We love Peniscola there is also a very nice site in Alcosebre in a national park about 20 miles south of Peni worth a visit.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Bad news for us! My wife has developed a pain in her chest/back, her right side at bra strap height. This is a stabbing type pain like someone' sticking a knife in you, not that that has ever happened to her before, I hasten to add! The campsite were brilliant and explained what to do and where to go and called us a taxi. We got to the health centre and nobody on reception spoke English but we got by and filled in a form and showed M's EH101 EU NHS card.

After more than an hour's wait we got to see a doctor, in the meantime I had used the dictionary to write down Spanish words for Stab, Very Much Pain, Back, Middle ? Gall Stones and M had an examination, gave a urine sample which the doc analysed on the spot and advised traces of blood in urine and prescribed stronger pain killers than she had been taking but could not take one until tonight. Not yet bad enough for hospital or scan for gall stones. She is doubled in pain now and again! Got tablets from pharmacy for a cost of 50% I.e. 2 Euros for 10 days supply. Evidently stronger than Ibruprofen 400 Mg.

We have therefore left Benicarlo and have made it as far as Blanes for the night en route for home early. Son is a pharmacist so we have also taken his advice tonight without a language barrier!

M has gone to bed and currently snoring so hope this lasts as last night she was woken at 3am by pain.

About 80 miles from Border with France and then I will be more comfortable as I can speak French but neither of us can speak Spanish! Worrying time!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Will do! Not worth getting in an accident or getting stopped for speeding!

Problem we could do without is Snooper SatNav deciding to keep losing suction and dropping off the windscreen at regular inconvenient moments, one of which has broken @Jaws dash cam mount!

If sh1t happens, it all comes at once!

Jan 21, 2013
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
I"m a newbie
Hope you get back home safely and your wifes condition does not get any worse,cant imagine what you are both experiencing Best Wishes

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We have driven from Blanes, Costa Brava to Riom just north of Clermont Ferrand today which is 50 Kms short of half way to Calais and we had a slow start today not leaving until 10:15am. With no trucks on the road tomorrow, motorway etc we should be able to make Calais tomorrow early evening. 700 Kms to go.

There was a horrendous downpour today on A75 north such that visibility went down to 20 yards and there was 2 inches of surface water on the road in the blink of an eye. Everyone put hazards on and reduced speed but prat in front of me weaved between both lanes and hard shoulder and almost stopped. I was petrified I would have someone up my backside. They clearly panicked and nearly caused carnage and nearly veered into me as I was getting past them. My new twin horns got some exercise at last! Never in my life have I seen rain like it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just before we got to the border this morning we saw a big MH towing a Toad on an A frame who had just crossed the border into Spain. Wonder why they do it now as its a guaranteed fine nowadays I thought!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Filled up with diesel outside Blanes at 0.999 euros per litre last night and then saw some at 0.949 per litre today before the border.

Paid 1.109 at Intermarche in Flour this afternoon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear about the medical problems, hope all can be sorted back in Blighty. Back pains can be difficult to interpret, it could be muscular or something else but the apparent location of the pain may not be a reliable indication of where the problem lies.

Hopefully a good purging and a worming tablet will be sufficient. :):):)
Best wishes to you both.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
4 pics from seafront outside Camping Blanes this morning. 25 euros for one night and they don't give ACSI discount but nice site under pine trees with gate access onto prom and beach.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Arrived safely at Gravelines for the night as hypermarkets shut on Sunday and M wants to go to one before catching tunnel ride home! 700 Kms today from Riom and around the Route Periphique de l'est at Paris - bedlam - never ever seen such lunatic motorcyclists who put their hazard lights on and expect everyone else to watch out for them whilst we're busy trying to keep in our own lane, not hit the guy in front and not hit anyone who decides to change lanes!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our son suggested an ice pack this morning but the shops are shut and there is nothing suitable in the freezer!

You have kindly suggested a hot water bottle but I don't think that would make most people's must have list on a holiday to southern Spain to find the sun and heat!

How come you have not had yours out if it's giving you trouble?

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just to update on my wife and our progress.

Left Gravelines at about 7am and got a tunnel crossing at 8:30am French time.

Drove to daughter's in Exeter who took us to the Royal Devon & Exeter hospital A & E department by 2pm. Got seen in triarge within 20 minutes and then straight on in to A & E where full exam done.

After 3 hours of tests etc and pain relief it does seem likely to be an inflamed gall bladder but not certain. Have to arrange for an ultrasound scan through the GP. A & E can't do due to budget issues? Bloods normal, ECG normal but we have discovered that M has high blood pressure for the first time ever so we need to monitor that.

They gave her a cocktail of stuff for pain relief and a prescription for codeine for pain relief. Margaret is delighted to be pain free at last. Spanish doctor prescribed a stronger than Ibruprofen type of pill which is a muscle relaxant not specifically for pain relief and it was no good for her type of pain. Sounds simple now the pain has gone but still need to get to the problem of what is causing the pain.

Language can be quite a barrier! Perhaps I should have gone to a doc or hospital in southern France as I can speak French pretty well. M is just not one for doctors unless she is bad so I knew I had to get her home as she would not have gone on her own if I had put her on a plane.

Perhaps we'll try Spain again in the New Year when hopefully she will be all better again!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Glad you feel happier now. Good luck with ongoing treatment and hope it gets sorted and you can get planning and travelling again.

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
That's great news glad she pain free nothing worse than seeing your wife in pain hope she gets better .

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
She has seen a Doc from our GP's today to get a scan organised and been prescribed a load more pills and her blood pressure was normal today but we will monitor it for a week. It turns out that mine was higher than hers so we'll monitor mine as well!

Anyway the main purpose of this post is to put up the photos of Chateau Chambord.

IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1668.jpg
IMG_1663.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Thought I'd top up the under bonnet liquids now that we are home but only needed screen wash and it took 4 litres. Lots of flies to wash off en route!

Whilst under there I happened to notice that my diesel fuel filter housing has the dreaded leak so that's a job to be done. I thought the last tank of fuel went a bit quick, well more quickly than usual. I'd put it down to driving at 70 now back home in the UK instead of the usual 62 mph to get M home quick and to the hospital.

Last filter change done by garage about 2,750 miles ago.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back