A shake up in roadtax in 2017. (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The taxman shot himself in the foot with zero roadtax for low emission cars. Get ready for a hike in prices or get the Bentley flogged off before nest year.
http://newschicken.com/must-read-new-ved-road-tax-rules-2017-uk-car-tax-changes-read-or-face-fine/
Only applies to new cars though.....

......Current road tax bands won’t change for cars that are already registered, so the existing VED bands will remain in place - meaning cars registered before April 2017 will continue to pay the current VED rates even after the new VED bands come into force. Fortunately for owners, the existing rates for CO2 bands are much more favourable to lower-polluting vehicles.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Did I read somewhere that motorhome tax band was to be abolished along with the 2017 revisions..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Wonder what the dealers selling low emission cars will do...
Some cars sell because of the cheap / low / free VED...

EX.. A Toyota Aygo will go from £0 to £140 after April.. :cry::cry:
God job the wife splashed out her pension cash and bought one ready (y);)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All the low emission cars I have come into contact with must have been built for anorexic midgets who would only want to cross the road in one. Next best thing to useless for normal sized people who want to travel further than the next village.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Where have you seen this? I've been trying to find out as the bands are based on emissions, which aren't usually on a motorhome's V5.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Shame. If I bought a one year old Disco in 2018 road tax would be £140. Currently I pay £505 so strangely one of the highest CO2 vehicles is to become cheaper.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All the low emission cars I have come into contact with must have been built for anorexic midgets who would only want to cross the road in one. Next best thing to useless for normal sized people who want to travel further than the next village.
My mate was telling me yesterday that he had to deliver a new smart to Stranraer last week, 455miles, couple came over from Ireland to pick it up for the ma-in-law. Husband got in to drop him off to catch the train when he realised that it was a manual & he'd ordered an auto.:( mate had to drive it all the way back again.:LOL::LOL: Wasn't happy.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I've only ever bought vehicles on the basis of their perceived fit to our requirements. The tax amount has never come into it - it's simply a running expense like insurance and fuel.

Mornin Graham. Is perceived fit the same as personal fit. If so I have the same criteria when purchasing a motor car. If I fit its good to go.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Caravans don't have emissions and thats what we are taxed on..BUSBY,,

Incorrect., there are classifications as well . Example. Ford Fiests van. VED £235. Same vehicle same engine same emissions in car form £20. My Toyota RAV4 zero emissions in fact it registers cleaner air exiting the exhaust than goes in the engine air intakes costs. £235 cos it's a 4WD.....

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Where have you seen this? I've been trying to find out as the bands are based on emissions, which aren't usually on a motorhome's V5.

The VED bands are based on data supplied by the vehicle manufacturers. In the case of a motorhome that would be the base vehicle manufacturer.

It's not usually relevant for motorhomes anyway as the base vehicles are commercial and the rates for commercial vehicles work differently.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mornin Graham. Is perceived fit the same as personal fit. If so I have the same criteria when purchasing a motor car. If I fit its good to go.
I suppose so Dave. We just buy vehicles that we think will do what we require at the time :) Maybe the criteria next time will include capable of towing a caravan :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wouldn't think that an extra few hundred quid on the running costs would be a major worry if you are paying £40000+ for a motorhome:)
Precisely. Same as fuel consumption. The only thing that really matters is "does it do what I want it to do at the price I'm prepared to pay?"

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wouldn't think that an extra few hundred quid on the running costs would be a major worry if you are paying £40000+ for a motorhome:)

As that maybe but for me it would be the principle of giving more money to a load of useless ****s that have no idea how to budget for what the income is & think they can just dream up new ways of taxing people to pay for the profligate waste. I certainly wouldn't pay it nor would I until the 5 year period was over.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As that maybe but for me it would be the principle of giving more money to a load of useless ****s that have no idea how to budget for what the income is & think they can just dream up new ways of taxing people to pay for the profligate waste. I certainly wouldn't pay it nor would I until the 5 year period was over.
If tax isn't raised in that way it would be raised in another way - and probably, more or less, from the same people :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Precisely. Same as fuel consumption. The only thing that really matters is "does it do what I want it to do at the price I'm prepared to pay?"
Not everyone can afford to take the I have what I want attitude. To a lot the costs of running vehicles can and does say if they can buy.

VED is quite high on MHs despite the fact that most do minimal mileage and often extremely few in this country as many drive only to and from the ferry ports.

I'm my humble opinion VED should be charged on fuel . That way those with guzzlers or who do the miles pay as they should the most .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not everyone can afford to take the I have what I want attitude. To a lot the costs of running vehicles can and does say if they can buy.

VED is quite high on MHs despite the fact that most do minimal mileage and often extremely few in this country as many drive only to and from the ferry ports.

I'm my humble opinion VED should be charged on fuel . That way those with guzzlers or who do the miles pay as they should the most .
That is why I said at the price prepared to pay. A very good point, though.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
If you are not using the MH in any particular month, and it is not parked on a public road then it is so easy to (on line) SORN it so you don't pay VED when you are not using it. I have done this on several occasions and always get the refund cheque in less than a week. Just as easy to re-tax it on line when you want to use it again.

Dave

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Link Removed

here it is

My sister pointed out the back door is in the middle of the car!

12 to the gallon and zero rated(y) ...............I need every penny...............:whistle:

The boot is big enough for a 200 litre LPG tank. It then becomes cheaper to run than a mini.
PS...Nice yoke by the way.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
For someone who only uses there motorhome for about 4/5 weeks in every year I object to paying £45 a month for it to sit for the other 10/11 months . Ok for folks who can go away when ever they want but I don't have that luxury . I was going to upgrade to a new Dethleffs in 2017 but I don't see why I should pay VED at £230 +£310 for it to sit unused .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back