A mad impulsive getaway...where to go?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by campa cola, Apr 5, 2013.

1. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Actually after months of prepping my van and not actually going anywhere (because of some crappy commitments) I feel like doing a mad impulsive getaway, to somewher warmer than 8C...... whats the easiest and cheapest route to go south to Spain - are there any standbys on ferrys say to Santander ? whats the difference in price with ferrys generally if say you book 1-2 days in advance as opposed to turn up ? same going back, I would need an open ticket or to get one at short notice.

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Unless you have those magic "tesco points" they keep on about or are a member of caravan club then book online at least 48 hours before you want to go,,
    I usually cross Dover - Calais on an evening as they are cheaper, head down near Calais then toll free down to Spain. Santander aint cheap and not for me all that time sat on a boat when I could be driving..
    Costa brava and the North can still be cold so maybe head for Valencia / Benidorm area...:thumb:

If you get to Beni I will be there from the 18th, you can buy me a pint then...:Rofl1:

PS,.... DONT just turn up, they got you by the whatsits and will sting you.. !!!

3. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Out of interest Tonka, how long would that route take you?

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

During winter with me being the only driver and doing about 6 hours a day driving, so plenty of tea breaks :BigGrin:

Calais - Overnight Cite Europe or Wissant aire
    Marboe or Vendome - Overnight aire
    N10 just north of Bordeaux - Overnight choice of aires
    Zaragossa - Overnight small truck stop Carinenea A23

So 4 night stop.. During summer with lighter nights usually do a 3 night stop. :thumb:

Calais - Rouen - Chartes - N10 to Bordeaux - Then either down to Irun or via Somport tunnel to Zarragossa - Valencia - Benidorm.

5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

thanks for the info tonka, which ferry line would you use ? Maybe I will see you for a pint :Cool: