A gal of antifreeze in heating system (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
What's you opinion on putting a gal of car antifreeze in the central heating system at home.
Just in case the frost protection don't come on when away for the winter.
Or leave heating and water turned off all together.
If the pressure drops will the heating come on.
I don't know the answer just throwing out to you heating engineers.
Laurie.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Note to the above in my static I drain down and put antifreeze in the waste traps or u bends

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I intend to shut everything off, water off at stopcock and I will lower the pressure in the heating system.

Depends on the house and environment but here in Cornwall and with my house I very much doubt it will freeze in the house...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We always have antifreeze in the system ,always leave it on frost stat when away , and always turn the mains water off . Our c/central heating is a sealed system so only needs topping up occasionally so no need to leave mains water on. You could leave your heating turned off but would recomend you drain the system.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There should already be additives that will prevent freezing (and other stuff) in your domestic heating system but the thermostat shouldn't fail. You could add another frost stat to you system to be sure. I'd rather come back to a warm house than a chilled one.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We turn off water & leave the room stat set on 15 degrees with heating on its normal times (2 1/2 hours morning & 4pm to 11pm night) and loft hatch open.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can buy proper Antifreeze for central heating systems it is probably the same stuff but I don't think it's much dearer. Screwfix own brand £21.59/5lt or Sentinel around £28.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We turn off water & leave the room stat set on 15 degrees with heating on its normal times (2 1/2 hours morning & 4pm to 11pm night) and loft hatch open.
We use a Nest thermostat with the away temp set to 12 deg, last week when we came home I switched the heating on while on the ferry and arrived home to a nice warm house.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Probably not a good idea to mix additives. The anti-corrosion stuff (like Fernox) will protect against frost but you'd be well advised to flush the whole system first.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
But if we are away for 3 months seems like a lot of wasted heating.
When unloading the motorhome that warms us up until heating kicks in.
Sentinel is what I had in my last system but I thought it was lubricant also for minor leaks. or have I got that completely wrong as usual.
Laurie

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Any additive will reduce the freezing point. Different ones are to address different problems but the most common is to combat corrosion.
Leave your heating set between 5°C and 10°C. It'll reduce any damp and the cost should not be excessive. It'll take a long time to drive the chill out of the fabric of a solid house otherwise.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Any additive will reduce the freezing point. Different ones are to address different problems but the most common is to combat corrosion.
Leave your heating set between 5°C and 10°C. It'll reduce any damp and the cost should not be excessive. It'll take a long time to drive the chill out of the fabric of a solid house otherwise.

Yes I think that's the way forward with the water turned off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But if we are away for 3 months seems like a lot of wasted heating.
When unloading the motorhome that warms us up until heating kicks in.
Sentinel is what I had in my last system but I thought it was lubricant also for minor leaks. or have I got that completely wrong as usual.
Laurie
You probably had the inhibitor in your system, they also do a inhibitor & antifreeze combined.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We never turn heating off just set stat low and leave for warmer climes never drain down or turn off water as long as your pies are insulated up in the loft shouldn't be a problem.
Like to think it's a good idea to at least keep the house a little warm during winter just to prevent damp and mildew etc.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Modern houses, and even those that are 40-60 years old are now mostly well insulated as a result of goverment help with free cavity and loft insulation resulting in very few homes in the Uk falling below 4 Deg Centigrade in the winter.
Modern central heating systems have an automatic frost setting and this will automatically fire up the boiler when a trigger temperature is reached and shut off again when a higher set temperature is reached.
We use the Hive system, affordable and easy to use and monitor away from the house. We have our frost setting set to 7 deg. and last year overwintered outside of the UK with the heating switched off. The coldest the house got was 10 Deg. If it reached 7 deg the boiler would have started up and cut out again when the heating got up to around 9-10 Deg. You can also check your temperature from your Tablet/Laptop and switch your heating, hot water on as and when you like.
https://www.hivehome.com/

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Maybe folly to leave your loft hatch open....... If you have a cold roof you might be introducing damp to the loft space.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our heating is under floor but all stats room stats are set 7 degrees frost but being honest we tend to set the stats to 18 as when you come home it feels normal with only slight ajustment.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We pumped Sentinal 600 round our central heating in the static, checked with my refractometer till it was down to -18 protection the same as we use to do with ground source heat pumps. Fernox is in my opinion is not antifreeze. While I agree that houses are better insulated these days be carefull that any pipe work or storage tanks are not above the insulation in the loft as they will definitely freeze.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We never turn our heating off leaving it set at around 15c so it kicks in when necessary, maybe lower if you're away for three months. We returned to a friends house en route for home after a two week cruise in mid October, they'd turned the heating off and the place was bitterly cold and felt damp although it was a modern well insulated house.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Like some others we have a Hive thermostat linked to the broad band router.
It has a frost setting at 7ºC so will switch the boiler on in the unlikely event that the inside temp drops below that.
When we are away I can go into the Hive app and see the internal and external temp, so can keep an eye on weather at home.
On the way back from Spain last week I remotely increased the temp to get the fabric of the house warmed up and when we got to Calais turned it up to normal evening temp. Got home yesterday afternoon to a lovely toasty warm house.

Richard.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got warm air heating, which tends to heat the house very quickly. However it also means it cools down quite quickly too and we have experienced an occasion when we'd turned the heating off and it took days to get it warm again. So now (and at the insistence of our insurers) we set the frost protection at 10 deg permanently - we also have a remote system similar to the Hive (Salus IT500) with which we can monitor and control the heating via internet. Water heating can also be remotely controlled but we turn off the water main during our winter break.

Modern technology is great!

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
We never turn heating off just set stat low and leave for warmer climes never drain down or turn off water as long as your pies are insulated up in the loft shouldn't be a problem.
Like to think it's a good idea to at least keep the house a little warm during winter just to prevent damp and mildew etc.
If JJ gets to hear that you have warm pies in the loft,you might need to check your burglar alarm system!!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If JJ gets to hear that you have warm pies in the loft,you might need to check your burglar alarm system!!!
Blinkin predictive text if JJ goes there the only thing he'll find is a load of old junk loft needs clearing out so he could be doing me a favour:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back