A French style Aire in Suffolk (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Stopped at Butley Village Hall for a couple of nights. Basically a village hall carpark with EHU, water, waste, recycling, kids playground, picnic tables.

Locals park here too, chat and take dogs for a walk.

You can park on the hardstanding in front of the hall or on the grass at the side and back.

£10 for the night or £15 with EHU. You can use the water/waste for £5 donation box. A little expensive compared to European Aires but a good find for the UK.

A local even uses the EHU for his electric van.I hooper he pays!

Very nice, chilled, park where you like location. Very quiet with a pub around the corner. Good access to Sutton Hoo, Aldeburgh, Thorpe Less, Orford Ness etc etc.
IMG_20230812_095942.jpg
IMG_20230812_095923.jpg

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ran a rally at Butley village hall ten or more years ago. Very helpful lady. However the Butley Oyster pub was shut, and without a car, taking the motorhome out is difficult as East Suffolk Council are so anti motorhome, parking anywhere can be a nightmare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
A local even uses the EHU for his electric van.I hope he pays! ....

And therin lies a problem....... If the setup is just for motorhomes and campers then they are abusing the process and potentially drawing a large amount of electricity very cheaply ..... Of course if anyone is allowed to park up and access electricity, water and emptying then the issue shifts to being one of anyone WILL park up and open up the villages hospitality to further abuse! Some people may even forego the 'donation' ....

I hope that it continues to function as the community intend it to !

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Did a night there last year after visiting Minsmere. Nice spot. An N&B came in while I was there as it provided sufficient access for him to dump his black tank. Website with link for booking IIRC.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Yes, you can book on website. The donation box is for people who just use the water/waste but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some confusion sometimes, or even abuse as stays do not seem to be monitored.

As for the electric van driver I believe the 'management' are aware he does this but I do wonder how they monitor his usage/charge him. I could have easily used EHU even though I didn't pay.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It makes me wonder why more village don’t do this, quite often you pass them and car parks are empty.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
A local even uses the EHU for his electric van.I hope he pays! ....

And therin lies a problem....... If the setup is just for motorhomes and campers then they are abusing the process and potentially drawing a large amount of electricity very cheaply ..... Of course if anyone is allowed to park up and access electricity, water and emptying then the issue shifts to being one of anyone WILL park up and open up the villages hospitality to further abuse! Some people may even forego the 'donation' ....

I hope that it continues to function as the community intend it to !
So Leccy at £5 pn equals £35 per week. Cheap living and it will soon get abused and scrapped.
Butley does rallies already.
Phil

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Ran a rally at Butley village hall ten or more years ago. Very helpful lady. However the Butley Oyster pub was shut, and without a car, taking the motorhome out is difficult as East Suffolk Council are so anti motorhome, parking anywhere can be a nightmare.
I is it really that long ago???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
£10 for the night or £15 with EHU. You can use the water/waste for £5 donation box. A little expensive compared to European Aires
We live just a few miles from the 'aire' so never used it.. cycled past it many times..

however, re aire prices..

Just spent there weeks in France using aires, average price was €14 - €15 with a 6amp EHU .. these were mainly Camping-car park aires which are excellent.. no over-crowding, good spacing and you can check in advance how many free spaces are available on the day .. so we recon good value for money ..

other examples..
Honfleur aire is now €14 and lucky if you can find an EHU point.
The new aire in Calais is €12 to park, water is €2 .. no EHU

yes there are free aires and cheaper ones but you generally pay extra for water.. the days of cheap or free aires in France are slowly but surely ending .

In the UK CLs with EHU are also getting more expensive.. £15 upwards .. some as expensive a big sites... long gone are the fiver a night or less CLs

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back