A frames in France and Germany

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Aug 11, 2012.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

How is towing with an A frame viewed in France and Germany, I know they are no no in Spain, are the best ones the ones that fix to the car front with brackets, or are the ones with chains around the lower arms OK. Any experiences please.
    Also, does any one know if a car with a non cable driven speedo still records the mileage when being towed with the ignition off ??.

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

France OK,
    Germany rumour has it they are spoiling for a fight
    Chain type A frame is recovery only very strict speed restrictions apply
    Electronic speedo honest answer duno never checked it logic says it shouldn't clock mileage

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

oh dear.... big can of worms now opened :reel::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Speedo on my Matiz doesn't increase the mileage when towed on an A Frame so recorded mileage is a bit optimistic as far as the tyres and brakes are concerned.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as A frames become more popular i reckon most of Europe will kick off....including the UK at some point. :Eeek:

and logic says, if no electrical power to the speedo electronics then it cant register mileages

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i say chain type if fitted with a sliding hitch ok . but is it really worth the bother. sliding hitch really isnt good enough .i dont think very many of the uk sold aframes meet the auto reverse brake regs . but i do know a few do.
    chain typ[e with electric actuator brakes great. but hardly any use them.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

my 2002 ford fiesta did not clock miles when on tow
    i used the brakebuddy system as it is the only one you know is adjustable when going up/down hills expensive but works the best

got the buddy and A frame for sale if you want one fitted to a 1.25 4 door fiesta

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Recently travelled all the way down Germany from Aachen to Salzburg and not seen one single A frame, many trailers but no A frames. Don't know if that tells a story or not, but I wouldn't risk it unless you are happy to possibly get stopped.

9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I don't think France accepts the A Frame....I was told that Motorhomes are and have been stopped .....told to remove the car....this is ok if there are two drivers on board... and a fine had been imposed.
    But I am not 100%, like many pieces of information....if its not first hand and you see it happen in front of you :Doh:
    But I see many French vans now with Trailers being pulled ....more now than I have ever seen..you may travel through France and get away with it.

I think the uk is the only place that seems to allow "A" frames and I hear that is a grey area not yet confirmed.....pay's your money take's your chance:Doh:

• Like Like x 1