A bit of market research.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dave newell lvs, Oct 27, 2011.

1. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Hi folks, this is just to ask for your help. We're considering doing some installation work at next years shows (we only do the Warners shows) and thought we'd ask what items people would want to have fitted at shows. There are a couple of items we will not fit at shows because of logisitical reasons, these are rear view cameras and cruise control, otherwise we're open to suggestions. So please help us to help you by telling us what you might like to have fitted while attending a show.

Cheers, D.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I think battery to battery relays for charging engine battery from solar pannels are a must. Have recently fitted one and should have done it years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I agree with that....have been considering fitting one myself

4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Me too :thumb:

5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Me too. But to be honest Dave for the likes of me, just having someone friendly to ask to do any small job also is important ... 'No job too small ... just ask' sort of thing. It's amazing for newbies or dumbos like me, what crops up at meets and shows. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You have got to do a lot of fitting to make it worth while, cost of stand, staffing.

At least we were selling from the stand which covered the costs and used to be a profit but lately we are wondering if it is really worth all the effort that goes into shows.

No doubt be ok if you did a few sat dish installations, something with some meat in it!

Peter

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As most of us know to our peril if you leave the CD player on, and most are stupidly connected to the engine battery,you finish up not being able to start.
    If you have solar panels fitted once the leisure battery is charged any left over charging goes to the engine battery instead of just being dumped. A lot less expensive than rewiring radios and as a bonus your engine battery is always topped up. A double whammy:thumb:

8. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

What can you fit, that would earn you something, that people would want fitted by someone else...well youve just discounted two of the main things, so if you can't do those, i would,nt bother.
    As Peter said , the shows are touching on the uneconomical these days.
    Just as a for instance, i have tuned cars myself, am a fairly competant mechanic. When i was at Lincoln, the day we bought our current MH, WOW tunign were there. I walked over to them, assured myself that it was a remap not a plug int, then paid for them to do the job, on site, within the hour.

because of your reputation ON HERE, if i saw you at a show, I would probably approach you for a cruise control for the Ducato, if the price was right...i would want it done there and then.....a customer that "walks away" or "thinks about it" is probably a lost opportunity.
    I cant think of anything else, that i would need fitted at a show? Sorry.

9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Thanks for the replies so far. To answer a couple of points:
    I already do "little fixes" at shows, especially if its for a good looking damsel in distress.
    We already have a stand at the Warners shows, we're simply looking at what we can do to improve profitability.
    Cruise control is a right royal pita to fit at shows, I've done it before. You get to the motorhome you're going to fit to only to discover a full safari room set up (I need to road test the vehicle to calibrate the cc and ensure it works properly). Then there's the problem of using roads you don't know for the road test, add in that some venues are surrounded by country roads with low speed limits, I need to be able to run it up to at least 60mph for a proper road test. As for camera systems, well routing the cable along the chassis on a vehicle parked in a wet field is not my idea of a fun weekend away. Not entirely sure what the battery to battery relay is?

D.

In edit: "can I just pick your brain about........" type questions will only be considered if they are submitted in writing, preferably on a £5 note. :-D

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Battery to battery

One of those nice little gadgets that, when the leisure battery reaches full charge, switches over to trickle charge the van battery..

How about television antenna amplifiers
    WiFi external antenna
    Reverse polarity detectors ( :Smile: )
    Tyre pressure detectors
    Extra 12v sockets
    Higher delivery water pumps

Proly more stuff but the half dozen vody's are kicking in nicely :Wink:

11. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

I must agree with you Joy. We are not at all techie like some of these here and just to ask someone who actually understands what you are talking about is great. However, that's not what gives them an income I suppose. :Sad: and they all have mouths to fill. Look forward to seeing you at Whitby by the way. :BigGrin:

Ivy

• Like Like x 1
  12. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

how about an ariel good enough to make the radio work on the move on a ducato based autotrail you would make a fortune

• Like Like x 6
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Have you got ANY aerial on that van ? Most I have seen have had the original one removed by the converters, leaving just a lead that goes nowhere !!

Seem to have fitted dozens of radio aerials on Autotrails ( but doubt it is more than 4 or 5 really ! :BigGrin: )

14. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

thanks for your reply jaws the suppling dealer assures me that i have an ariel in the n/s wing mirror they are going to fit an alternative when it does in for hab service in march dont listen to the radio that much when driving but would like it to work since we paid for it

15. jezport

jezport Funster

We see a lot of solar panels and quite a few sat domes being fitted at shows. As you have a good reputation it may be worth you sending a mail shot / email out to your database offering your installation and repair service at the shows, that way you could possibly book work in ahead.

16. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

We have always had a strict policy about installation work at shows. It simply cannot be done as well in a field as a workshop. If the weather is bad it can be disasterous.

Dave, is one of the good guys in my opinion regarding customer service and quality of work, and I guarantee that in his workshop there will be an area or room that carpets and soft furnishings can be moved when necessary, he will have the tools to do a job properly, if he encounters a problem he has the where withall to deal with it, properly and professionally. These things are much harder working from a van.

We recently checked with the HSE about mobile installation and it seems that all is not as clear as some think, and I would suspect that there could be some big changes coming regarding mobile installation at shows.

Dave you will also have to discuss mobile installation at shows with your insurers! I wonder how many of the current mobile guys have done that? Having insurance to fit at customers houses is not the same as a pulbic place or exhibition.

I do know what I am talking about. I started Van Bitz offering a mobile installation service, really in the late Eighties and were one of the first that did. I have done it, I have tried to work in mud, and rain, convincing myself and my customers that it doesn't matter about the weather, it's not too hot, it's not too cold! When the van needs jacking up, but the ground is too soft, or there is a dirty great big puddle right underneath!

No Dave, my advice is to continue as you are, a really decent guy offering a good service for a reasonable price.

It does amaze me that normally sensible people will take their pride and joy along to a show, meets someone often, for the first time, working from a fifty quid qazebo and a hand full of manufacturers leaflets and within an hour the normally sensible person is allowing someone to fit say a camera to their pride and joy in the middle of a field:Laughing:

Often, the person fitting doesn't actually work for the camera salesman, is in fact "bussed in" for the weekend as the salesman doesn't "do" technical:Doh:

We know this of course as we get the fall out "could you look at my camera please? it is a Ting Tong and the man that sold it too us didn't have an address just a post box, and he is ignoring us:cry:

Just an opinion

Eddie

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Eddie you are obviously quite a wealthy man... Me, a mere mortal, cannot afford to drive hundreds of miles to have something fitted..
    I take the chance to have something done when it is convenient and I happen to be in the right place !

What you say is spot on Eddie, but equally a man who knows what he is doing, knows what he is doing whether he is in a field or in a workshop

As someone who lives by the spanner at a fairly high technical level, I am happy to say David is one of the few people I would allow near my van.. He is, as you know and say, certainly not the man from tingtong cameras as you put it Eddie ! ( love that by the way ! :Rofl1: )

I think it goes without saying David would not take on installations if the weather was inclement or the situation meant the job could not be fulfilled to his standard high level of competence and expertise

18. aba

aba

i fully agree with eddievanbitz but will say if fitting the item requires anything other than opening a door or locker then don't fit it at shows there is no fun in crawling around in wet grass under a muddy van.
    just as there is no sense trying to seal a sat dome or solar panel to the roof in the rain.
    if you feel you must fit things at shows stick to tv's / monitors or extra leisure batteries and nothing that involves going on top of or under a motorhome at a wet show.

19. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

My suggestion !

Inverters ! The one you fitted for me is now working on the Leominster Car Park and the solar panel, also your handiwork will be powering up the battery, also yours, when full daylight arrives.......Many thanks for your help in the past !:thumb:

I nearly forgot to mention the free to air box you supplied, I will be watching the F1 race on that tomorrow am !!!!:Rofl1:

20. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

I wasn't suggesting that you should drive hundreds of miles:Wink: We all have to be local to some one.

I wish I was wealthy! I am rich, in that I have a wife I love (& who tolerates me :RollEyes:) and four great boys and they are all healthy.

OK so you have something fitted at a show, wheres your back up when something goes wrong? do you have to wait until the next show and drive hundreds of miles there :Laughing:?

I suspect once the H&SE get their teeth into mobile fitting at the shows, the arguement will be acedemic anyway.

Do you realise that the show organisers turn their backs to any kind of checks whatsoever. No insurance is inspected at all, so the person working on your van may have no public liability insurance, or normal business insurance. Many people assume that anyone fitting is vetted or a bona fide business which is not the case at all.

You wait until someone slips off a van roof and sues the owner of the motorhome who is paying them to install that panel or dish and watch the do da hit the fan! Or someones van catch fire and take out three or four other vans only to find that that "Trevor, doesn't actually work for me, he comes along at weekend to help out"

Dave is a good guy and we get along very well both on a professional level and chewing the cud over a beer, and I agree that he wouldn't enterain anything unprofessional, but what happens halfway through a job and it suddenly pisses with rain?

If you went along to your local hospital and were told that the surgeon thought it such a lovely day that he was going to undertake you heart operation in the car park, you'd be thinking about the problems that may occur and that you would probably be safer in an operating theatre which can handle all eventuallities!

Eddie

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    • Like Like x 2