90 day rule (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2022
Canterbury, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Exp
Since 2022
We are planning our first post Brexit/pandemic trip to Europe via the tunnel. We wanted to keep our return open but within the 90 days. However I hear that we need evidence of our intended return to the UK (a ticket) before we can get started into France. I cannot find this written down so thoughts and experiences of enforcement would be welcome..

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We have never been asked for any proof of booking. We generally only book one way anyway so as to be flexible. There are just too many stories from people with no experience. We usually use Newhaven/ Dieppe with our 20% age discount though. I have never heard of proof of return being required on any other routes.
What if you are going straight through France and Spain and on to Marocco for three months. Then back through Spain, France, Italy and on to Croatia then Bosnia, Montenegro etc. etc. makes no sense. The French Boarder is just not interested. Perhaps if you only visit France then overstay they may be interested but I have heard of a number of overstays with no repercussions.
Just head for the tunnel and enjoy your holiday. Out of interest we usually have a full fridge as well with bacon and English sausages included. Never had a problem except on the first trip after B…t when all they were interested in was how much cash I was carrying and why I didn’t carry a “Man Bag”. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
It's not an issue. We have only ever booked an outward ticket, and then book a return while we are away within the 90 days, once our homeward plans are a bit more concrete.

We're over the channel this Thursday, heading to Croatia and not intending to return to UK until end of October or first week of November, but no return ticket booked as yet.

I've heard about this travel insurance issue before, but never seen it in any of our policies.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Me neither.
Just looked at our current policy (Post Office) again and no mention of it at all in the general conditions, etc.

Obviously, as you have no return journey booked, then you can't be compensated for curtailment / cancelled return crossing (at least untill the point when you book the return crossing, when you would be covered from then onwards). But for all the sections that really matter to us, medical expenses, repatriation, stolen possessions, etc., having no booked return journey isn't an issue.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
When rang insurance to inform partner had taken ill & in hospital in France, first question asked was when was return travel. Also question on insurance claim form sent by email that night was date of return travel and proof of booked return travel.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
When rang insurance to inform partner had taken ill & in hospital in France, first question asked was when was return travel. Also question on insurance claim form sent by email that night was date of return travel and proof of booked return travel.
Out if interest, does your policy state you must book a return ticket?
Some of the policies mentioned above don’t seem to. It would be worrying if the first you heard of it was when you had to make a claim.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've heard about this travel insurance issue before, but never seen it in any of our policies.
It's quite common so worth checking your policy with a magnifying glass.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I can only back up the above comments about checking your travel policy regarding return crossing.
For years I always book out one way and then another a few days before return to suit our plans.
The above clause was mentioned to us by some other travellers and when i checked our policy ( think it was Staysure at the time) there it was..
Since then I have always asked the question prior to taking cover and also checked the small print.. (y)

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
It's quite common so worth checking your policy with a magnifying glass.
These are the T&C's of the Post Office travel insurance policy.

The only reference to having a return ticket booked is solely in relation to curtailment and having to cut your holiday short, where it says -

"Additional Costs to Return Home Early - We will pay necessary additional costs over and above the cost of your original return ticket, of the same class you were due to travel home on. There is no cover if you had not purchased a return fare at the time you cut short your trip, or if your travel provider transfers your original return ticket to a different flight".

Obviously if you haven't booked a return ticket then compensation to cover the non-existant return ticket would be nonsensical. However, as soon as I book my return crossing, e.g. 2 months into a 3 month trip, from that point onwards I'd be covered for curtailment.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You don't 'Need' to book a return ticket,
But on the basis that you are going to return at some point in the next 90 days why would not book a return (flexi) ticket. ?

Return tickets are easy enough to correct on line as long as you do it a week or so in advance.

It means that should the worst come to worst you van in booked to go home, even if you are not the one driving it.

As above check the T&C's with your insurance.
If you don't have a return booked, then the insurance company is under n obligation to return the van any closer than the channel port of their choice.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I can only back up the above comments about checking your travel policy regarding return crossing.
For years I always book out one way and then another a few days before return to suit our plans.
The above clause was mentioned to us by some other travellers and when i checked our policy ( think it was Staysure at the time) there it was..
Since then I have always asked the question prior to taking cover and also checked the small print.. (y)

Mine seem to suggest it's ok bar the cost of an economy flight....

'If however you have not purchased a return ticket, we reserve the right to
deduct the cost of an economy flight (based on the cost applicable on the
date you come home) from any additional costs we have incurred which
are medically necessary to repatriate you to your home'

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We are planning our first post Brexit/pandemic trip to Europe via the tunnel. We wanted to keep our return open but within the 90 days. However I hear that we need evidence of our intended return to the UK (a ticket) before we can get started into France. I cannot find this written down so thoughts and experiences of enforcement would be welcome..
You don't. Enjoy.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I was told by Dutch customs officials that I needed a return ferry ticket.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I was told by Dutch customs officials that I needed a return ferry ticket.
Ps there are also limits on what alcohol you can take into the EU. We were over the limit but they let us off. They didn't mention meat and dairy but I didn't have any of that.

Billiefarrah

Free Member
Nov 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 1984
It's not an issue. We have only ever booked an outward ticket, and then book a return while we are away within the 90 days, once our homeward plans are a bit more concrete.

We're over the channel this Thursday, heading to Croatia and not intending to return to UK until end of October or first week of November, but no return ticket booked as yet.

I had occasion to use my travel insurance when my husband was ill . They asked me for my outward and return details .

Apr 8, 2016
Poulton le Fylde
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Although I’ve never been asked for a return ticket. There are a few regulations post Brexit and they can ask for proof of onward travel or a return ticket. See below posted from eu schenghen

Requirements for British Citizens Travelling to the EU​

To enter the EU after Brexit, you must have the following documents when you travel:

• Valid passport.
  • Health insurance (such as private travel insurance or an EHIC/GHIC).
  • Enough money to cover your stay in the EU.
  • Return or onward travel ticket.

Jan 27, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift voyager
We've had five different trips travelling out from Euro tunnel and Newhaven with no returns booked. We've had no issues but I'm thinking of buying a flexie ticket next time then I can change it just days before returning home. David and Shirley.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I never book a return. I don’t even know which route I will take so its not possible.
You can book everything in advance if you wish. Campsites etc. but you might as well go on a package holiday instead.

I also sail across the channel. Sometimes direct to France, sometimes to the Channels Isles. No tickets required. Go with the flow. Thats more or less the whole point. Isn’t it?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Some insurance companies require a return ticket booked otherwise you are not insured. Often hidden in the small print.
Well. I never knew that. Will have to check our insurance now. We usually get a flexible return so can change it if needs be but that's not always been possible as we've thought we might come back from a different port.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Although I’ve never been asked for a return ticket. There are a few regulations post Brexit and they can ask for proof of onward travel or a return ticket. See below posted from eu schenghen

To enter the EU after Brexit, you must have the following documents when you travel:

• Valid passport.
Oh dear. What a conundrum.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66

• Valid passport.
Not sure what website this information was cut and pasted from, but I don't believe it is correct.

Entry into Schengen is covered by "Article 6 of Regulation (EU) 2016/399 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 March 2016 on a Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code)".

This actually states that to enter Schengen for up to 90 days in 180 days, as well as having a valid travel document (passport) with at least 3 months still to run after your departure from Schengen, etc., you require evidence of sufficient means for your intended stay plus sufficient means to arrange for return back to your home country or another third-party country. So you have to have money to buy a return ticket, but you do not have to produce an actual return ticket.

Also, I can't see any references to health insurance or GHICs.

A lot of these independent , unofficial travel info websites such as the one linked to earlier in this thread, seem to contain incorrect advice. Best to get it from the actual source where possible.

Apr 8, 2016
Poulton le Fylde
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Not sure what website this information was cut and pasted from, but I don't believe it is correct.

Entry into Schengen is covered by "Article 6 of Regulation (EU) 2016/399 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 March 2016 on a Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code)".

This actually states that to enter Schengen for up to 90 days in 180 days, as well as having a valid travel document (passport) with at least 3 months still to run after your departure from Schengen, etc., you require evidence of sufficient means for your intended stay plus sufficient means to arrange for return back to your home country or another third-party country. So you have to have money to buy a return ticket, but you do not have to produce an actual return ticket.

Also, I can't see any references to health insurance or GHICs.

A lot of these independent , unofficial travel info websites such as the one linked to earlier in this thread, seem to contain incorrect advice. Best to get it from the actual source where possible.
Here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back