70 Just around the the corner...[God willing] ..+ a 'Toad' = Q (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
I have read ALL the posts relating to this Magic birthday & Licences [I think]....No major Health probs that would alert the Medics ?!?... except WD40 on the joints now & again !!

We will not need anything more than the 3500 gvw Moho that we have., BUT if I do NOT ensure that my 'Grandad Rights' are maintained CAN WE STILL TOW THE 'Toad' ..?? as we have done for many years.

As a Disabled person [Amputee of 50 yrs] I MUST KEEP the 'Toad'....

I must get this Licence renewal CORRECT & know you fellow Funsters will put my mind at rest.....[& send of the paperwork asap].....Thanks

(y)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
When I renewed my licence at 70 choosing not to retain Group C and above I was left with:-

Groups AM/A/B1/B/BE/f/k/l/n/p/q

The important part for you is the retention of Group BE

Our son is a driving instructor you passed his driving test under the current rules whereby you do not get Groups BE/C etc and above. This means he could not drive our Motorhome and our Toad as he is limited to 750kg for the weight of a trailer with a 3500kg limited vehicle. If he wants to tow a trailer greater than 750kg then the total weight of the Trailer and the Towing vehicle is restricted to 3500kg.

As, when renewing at 70, we retain the Group BE then we are able to tow a trailer of any weight provided the the total weight of the complete unit does not exceed the Maximum train weight for the towing vehicle .

As an example the Max Train weight for our Motorhome is 5000kg. The max weight of our unit is 3500kg so the trailer can be 1500KG in total.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would suggest you don't readily relinquish your C1+E as finding a suitable 3500kg mhome with reasonable payload is not easy and many can be readily uprated to 3650/3850 at which time a C1+E is vital.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would suggest you don't readily relinquish your C1+E as finding a suitable 3500kg mhome with reasonable payload is not easy and many can be readily uprated to 3650/3850 at which time a C1+E is vital.
On the other hand theres nothing to stop you loading the toad up to its max gross weight
The toads required weight limit for towing purposes is its plated gross weight, whether its loaded or not, so worth using the extra payload rather than tow empty.
Put simply, if the cars gross is 1500kg and unladen is 1000kg you have a spare 500kg of payload.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On the other hand theres nothing to stop you loading the toad up to its max gross weight
The toads required weight limit for towing purposes is its plated gross weight, whether its loaded or not, so worth using the extra payload rather than tow empty.
Put simply, if the cars gross is 1500kg and unladen is 1000kg you have a spare 500kg of payload.

That's what I do with mine John, lots of odds and sods including stock of ale go in the toad.(y)

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Thanks for that P...J....
Unless the Mut Dog puts on an enormous amount of weight we can manage with the 3500..OK. & both of us keep on dieting all will be fine.
Yes the 'Toad' will carry the heavier stuff....circa 220kgs to play with there.

I am limited to a Automatic vehicle anyway & m/cycles; Minibuses etc etc out of the question for me...[Except in various foreign lands/War & Disaster zones managed all sorts of vehicles with a 'walking stick' on the throttle for set-off & after that up & down the gears without the clutch..My left leg managed the Brake &/or Throttle just as an Automatic presently ..]
Never worried about the Police etc in such places as Liberia; Somalia;Rwanda Sierra Leone etc....It was NEEDS MUST ! out there.....
.....Sorry for digressing .,
I am also reminded that my original Paper licence had the following words added : "The vehicle must be equipped with all controls correctly and conveniently fitted in order to drive the vehicle without the use of the R leg "
!!!!???? ...would have been a Hell of a Jerky ride if I had used it. !!
.....Sorry again.,

Ever since the paper one was replaced & ultimately the Plastic Photo card there has been NO mention of the above ??

BACK TO THE TOPIC...
So, back to my 'Q'.....Keep my basic licence AND still OK to pull the 'Toad' then????

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Providing that you don't exceed the towing limit of the van, some have a quite low one.

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
NEW licence now received ---Thanks DVLA & all advice from Funsters--Grandfather rights relinquished & limited to 3500kg - FINE

:) Im off to Buy a motorbike as I have cat A also ?? & A LARGE 1st AID kit:(

The only problem is that since 1966 I have been an Above knee RIGHT Amputee & obviously DVLA imposed restrictions back then "all controls must be fitted so as to maintain proper control of the vehicle without the USE of the Right leg"
---this is going to be a SHORT journey ??? Think about it....& when I come to a standstill & its NOT on the Left side....ooooooops :oops::oops::cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back