4250kg in europe

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mojo, Sep 4, 2013.

1. mojo

mojo Funster

Suddenly find we have 3 months spare instead of work so we are off to Europe next week.We thought to route through Germany-Austria-Italy-South France -Spain.No rush so no toll roads if we can avoid them.The thing is ,what will I come across in tolls or tax for each country as we are 4250 kg ? Hopefully someone has already done it in such a heavy van and can give some advice ?
    Thanks in advance if someone replies.

2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi firstly lucky you, don't take anything I say as being correct :Rofl1::Rofl1: if going to Austria and using the major roads then you will need a go box as for the rest I think its just pay the tolls.

I know you didn't mention it but have a look at Slovenia like Austria you will need a go box style although you can get into the mountains to the likes of Bovec and lake bled without using toll roads as we came home that way. Slovenia really is stunning

3. mojo

mojo Funster

Thanks Gerry ,just checked my ACSI book and there are 7 campsites in Slovenia that will still be open if we do it .

4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    We are also 4250 kg, been on many a toll they don't weight only camera/beam clocking the height for the correct toll, enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

5. raysalaugh

raysalaugh Funster

Just got back from Italy via Switzerland, paid 32.5 swiss francs for ten days road tax in a twelve month period which if your only passing through is alot cheaper than a gobox in Austria. Head down Germany to Basle and through the San Gottard tunnel towards Milan then on to France.
    We also passed through Luxembourg where diesel cost 1.20 euro's a litre, so it might be worth deviating from Germany.

Regards

Ray

6. mojo

mojo Funster

I presume you have had a costly experience with Austria and the go box ? Luxembourg fuel is a good idea,Thanks

7. mojo

mojo Funster

After looking into the various charges to use the roads in some countries we have decided due to the onset of the colder months to use only France,Italy and Spain.We are willing to pay but not until we go early summer to better enjoy Germany,Switzerland,Slovenia and Austria.
    How come visitors to our country dont pay anything? It would be better for a pan Euro go box rather than all change at borders.At least then foreign freight,etc would contribute to our road network also whilst we keep paying our car tax only for our own roads.
    I guess there are good reasons why this has not happened ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Must check my holiday rota maybe iv'e got 3 month owing i hadn't noticed :Rofl1:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you should have Geo, you aint had a gearbox to be able to go anywhere for ages.

10. N&K

N&K

We find all Euro Tolls booths (France/Austria/Italy) are more interested in the number of axles you have rather than if you are more than 3.5t and your Motorhome height. If you MH has a single rear axle an you're not over 3M (or 3.5metres cant remember which), then you'll most likely just a 3.5t toll (Class 2). Spanish just don't care, you get charged the same as a car, Class 1.

11. Bebe

Bebe

We've just spent nearly 7 weeks touring France and Spain in our twin axle and was charged class 2 for most. We thought pretty good. Some even charged class 1 so a bonus.