4 ton double ram bottle jack, fiat maxi/alko chassis £20

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by SandraL, May 7, 2016.

1. SandraL

SandraL Funster

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC...224160?hash=item488d2da520:g:sQsAAOSwJQdW87IH

this is 4 ton bottle jack, min height 160mm, hydraulic lift 170mm with a screw adjust of 40 mm
    Our fiat maxi/alko chassis has jack points at 220mm front and 190mm rear.
    Would this jack get wheels off floor in one go? ie 170mm lift.
    I know easy answer is to jack van and measure but was hoping someone out there already knows....Would use packing and screw adjust to make sure all of the hydraulic lift was used for lifting the van.
    At £20 ( although chinese so no spares) it seems a reasonable price and weight to take with me if it does the job.
    Please dont advise using trolley jack, too heavy to take, or use breakdown service as I wish to be independent.

Thanks.

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

When I had the previous motor homes there was no way would a bottle jack go under the chassis when you have a puncture.

3. SandraL

SandraL Funster

My thought was to run flat tyre up on levelling ramp to get jack under, but will it lift high enough to get wheel off the ground? Jack min height is 160mm, rear jack point about 190mm, so height of ramp plus 30mm ought to get jack under ok ( I hope)

4. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Advert says lifting height 370mm?? That should be plenty.

5. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

Also on the add page, there is a Draper 4tonne one for £16-74, from Folkstone Fixing.

6. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Draper 4 ton jack only has 118 mm hydraulic lift height, rest is via screw adust. It is a single ram jack. The double ram jack in OP has 170 mm hydraulic lift.

7. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

My advice to you ( and this is only my opinion) is don't buy a cheap bottle jack .just remember it is what's between you and an accident i.e.the jack failing under load.when buying a hydraulic bottle jack buy good quality such as Webber.
    Brian & Jo
    Sorry forgot to mention the use of a must use axle stand(y)

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

he wants to lift it... not barbie it .. :LOL:

;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. glastry

glastry Funster

if you must have a bottle jack,a good quality UK made high lift jack is about £60. (From SGS engineering)
    you will be safer if you also have a substantial axle stand,and probably at least a 600 mm breaker bar!
    good luck

10. glastry

glastry Funster

And as an after thought,you need good ground to safely use a bottle jack-might be best to also pack a
    400x400 bit of 25mm plywood.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Agree with all the above re axle stand, baseplate for under jack. Re paying triple or more for quality jack that will be used rarely and never with me under I,m not sure .
    But can anyone help with original question?

How high do you have to lift fiat cab and alko axle to get wheel off?

12. glastry

glastry Funster

This high lift jack goes from 245mm to 610mm!
    i would not want to be using it at any where near its maximum-but it will certainly lift your van high enough.
    No matter which bottle jack you choose,you probably
    need to talk to fellow Fiat cab owners as to there puncture experiences,as i am unsure about just how
    practical it would be to drive onto a levelling ramp
    with a flat tyre.
    Daft question-but do these Fiat campers come with
    any sort of Jack when sold new?

13. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Fantastic lift in post 12.
    But it won't go under my jacking points, front is 220mm and rear is 190mm ish. Yes does come with a fiat standard issue scissor jack which I am trying to improve on.

SO, back to nitty gritty, how high do you have to lift to get wheel off of ground, perhaps I used wrong title to thread.....

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I would think a bottle jack without an axle stand is far more dangerous than the standard scissor jack that comes as standard, at least that locates on the chassis where as on a bottle jack you just have a small disc to locate with.

15. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Lenny, I agree. But there will be a not before mentioned axle stand plus a stud welded on top of jack to locate into fiat/alko jack point.
    I think I am going to have to visit van in storage and use scissor jack to lift wheel off ground to get that ground to jack point measurement to make sure proposed double ram bottle jack will lift van high enough to change a wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

I carry/carried that exact same jack under the drivers seat. Worked a treat on the Frankia (16" wheels)when a flat greeted me after parked for the night in Tortosa last year,used the level ramp and block of wood I carry.easy then to change wheel .
    After trying to use ,without success the scissor jack supplied by fiat on a previous van.

17. SandraL

SandraL Funster

@jollyrodger Thanks, very encouraging. Can I ask is your Frankia on alko? Did you change front or rear? Do you think it would do either OK?

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

19. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Mostly weight issue, but yes space as well. It would certainly do the job. So still hoping for lighter bottle jack that does job, looking hopeful after post 16

20. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

. Can I ask is your Frankia on alko? Did you change front or rear? Do you think it would do either OK?[/QUOTE]

Chassis based on FIat 290L non alko but jacking principles the same (IMO) handbrake on ,in gear,chock wheels (I reversed up level ramp first) block of wood 5" x 2" (greenheart) between jack and chassis member close to f/n/s bottom wishbone crack off wheel nuts first then lift .I have extended / modified the original jacking handle ,as the original didn't look up to much .
    Hope that helps .:)
    A previous experience with a supplied scissors jack cost me when on a French A road €189 for the guy to use his jack when mine failed to do the job .plus learned that your continental breakdown cover is useless on all A roads in France not just peage toll roads :(

Edit if you have the room then as already said carry a 2 ton suitcase type trolley jack

Last edited: May 8, 2016