Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
hi guys, after receiving some good advice on here i am about to get myself a smartphone on a contract that allows unlimited data download . my intention then, is to get a large screen tablet for more comfortable web surfing at home thus the phone will then become basically just a modem . what i am unsure of, is some tablets say they will accept a 3g connection but via a dongle or such. are these tablets still suitable for being tethered to[allowed by the provider] or do i need to look for tablets with a certain spec ? cheers garry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
All tablets, iPads etc, can connect to the net by wifi whether connected via a landline router as at home, or "tethered" to a mobile phone.

Normally if they say the tablet has 3G capability it normally just means it has the facility to put a sim card into the tablet and hence connect directly to the net via a mobile network, without needing to be connected to a router or other device.

Hence the need for an additional "data" sim as well as the one in your mobile, but if you can tether your mobile there is little point in paying the extra for a 3G tablet and additional sim card

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks callum exactlly what i needed to know. cheers garry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Make sure your contract includes tethering. Most unlimited data deals do not allow it. It can be couple of quid extra, but well worth it. A laptop or tablet is tethered to my phone 16 hours a day using around 6gb a week.

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp