2nd Leisure Battery fuses (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have just fitted a 2nd Leisure battery to my Autotrail MH, in preparation for fitting Solar Panels.

The 2nd battery is in a vented plastic battery box (approved for use by the US Coastguard!), close to the original which is set into the base of one of the under-seat lockers.

I followed best practice – ie connecting +ve feed to one battery and –ve feed to the other, and included a 40 amp fuse at both ends of the 16mm² Connecting Cables.

Broken Link Removed

For fuses I used these – bolted directly to the Battery Terminal clamp and the crimped cable terminal.

Broken Link Removed

I however have a couple of concerns now. Although I have supported the fuses, are they likey to “fatigue” due to vehicle vibration and fail physically?

Also, yesterday I read that fuses should never be inside a battery box, because of the presence of oxygen & hydrogen during charging. The standard fit on my Autotrail has four inline fuses in the battery box!

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

John

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's a fully sealed battery shouldn't be a problem, if the batteries are next to each other with short connecting leads not really necessary to fit additional fuses.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
To give the fuses on my leisure battery install both mechanical and electrical protection, I used these fuse holders as so....
IMG_5185.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not good practise placing fuses inside a battery box.
A blowing fuse can arc and the batteries may be releasing gas.....but you will know soon enough if both these happen at the same time.
A maintenance free battery may still gas but any 'vapour' will be condensed within the venting system and returned to the cell.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Thanks for all your advice guys.

I have removed the redundant 40 Amp fuses in the +ve link, and also managed to relocate all of the original build in-line fuses to outside the battery boxes.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back