2nd Leisure Battery fuses

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Revolvor, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

I have just fitted a 2nd Leisure battery to my Autotrail MH, in preparation for fitting Solar Panels.

The 2nd battery is in a vented plastic battery box (approved for use by the US Coastguard!), close to the original which is set into the base of one of the under-seat lockers.

I followed best practice – ie connecting +ve feed to one battery and –ve feed to the other, and included a 40 amp fuse at both ends of the 16mm² Connecting Cables.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78803718/Fuse fitted.jpg

For fuses I used these – bolted directly to the Battery Terminal clamp and the crimped cable terminal.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78803718/Fuse.jpg

I however have a couple of concerns now. Although I have supported the fuses, are they likey to “fatigue” due to vehicle vibration and fail physically?

Also, yesterday I read that fuses should never be inside a battery box, because of the presence of oxygen & hydrogen during charging. The standard fit on my Autotrail has four inline fuses in the battery box!

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

John

2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If it's a fully sealed battery shouldn't be a problem, if the batteries are next to each other with short connecting leads not really necessary to fit additional fuses.

3. CandC

CandC Funster Life Member

To give the fuses on my leisure battery install both mechanical and electrical protection, I used these fuse holders as so....
    IMG_5185.JPG

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not good practise placing fuses inside a battery box.
    A blowing fuse can arc and the batteries may be releasing gas.....but you will know soon enough if both these happen at the same time.
    A maintenance free battery may still gas but any 'vapour' will be condensed within the venting system and returned to the cell.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Nil nada
    [​IMG]

Ditto
    [​IMG]

6. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I have removed the redundant 40 Amp fuses in the +ve link, and also managed to relocate all of the original build in-line fuses to outside the battery boxes.
    John