1st proper motorhome purchased :)

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Uncle Bob, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Read Only Funster

Hi peeps, just drove back from Norfolk to north yorks in our 'new to us' camper :D
    It's a 'non leaky' Kon Tiki with plenty of happy holidays left in her :Cool:
    Looking to try a weekend at a local'ish CS soon! Sod the weather we got itchy feet! :)
    Any do's or don'ts to help a smooth 1st time out? Any necessities we should not be without?
    I know we need waste & water carriers but can't think of anything else that we haven't got.... Has anyone done a printable check list of what they consider the items they don't go without?
    I know it's cold out there but we got plenty of gas and heaters :BigGrin: and not far to go home if it all goes Pete tong!
    Cheers all from a very excited Uncle Bob & Family :D

• Like Like x 6
  2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

There's an extremely comprehensive one in the shop..

Congratulations on your new motorhome..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. mick noe

mick noe Funster

would suggest a site with electric hook up (take a electric heater) and hard standing for this time of year. If its any help.........first time out so you don't forget things.when packing lay out food etc by meal and sort out what you will need to cook /eat it .....saucepan salt sauce knife and so on do this for each meal/drink and with a bit of luck you will not forget too much:Rofl1: above all relax and enjoy your new van:thumb::thumb:

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

congratulations on your purchase, there is an extensive search facility on fun so have a good look around. there are so many suggestions and tips xxxx

enjoy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5. Larby

Larby Funster

WHY ?? There will be tanks on-board?
    Many on here have suggested spending a weekend on your own drive if you can. Excellent idea I believe. You will learn what to do and what you need.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

waste and water carriers arent a priority but a good hose pipe and tap adaptors are..

fill fresh tank on arrival, empty grey tank on departure.

if you need more fresh water then a 10ltr watering can is best option.....you dont want to be lifting a 30ltrs water carrier up to the filler point then spilling most of it as you pour.

a bucket for waste water is adequate.

both may require a couple of trips to the tap/drain but a watering can and bucket take up far less room than 2 dedicated carriers.

many sites/CS/CL allow emptying grey tanks in a hedge bottom....just ask where to empty and they'll tell you.

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Read Only Funster

Cheers peeps

It's little pearls of wisdom like this that make life less stressful :BigGrin: setting the van up for a sleep over on the drive tonight then hopefully will try fri/sat away. It's not far for our eldest to scoot over if any 'extras' are required while on site
    So I ain't going to worry about it I'm just going to go with the flow :wine:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Congratulations on your first purchase.:thumb:

Hope this weekend goes well for you.

9. marymary

marymary

Congrats bob and co.....I find it useful to have a short electric lead, think its 10m as well as the standard longer one because if you can get away with the shorter its a lot easier to roll even on a windy reel thing, and then you can join them together too if you need extra long. I also have a thermos jug/kettle that i fill at home with boiling water so handy hot drink if you stop or when you get there....enjoy!!

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Uncle Bob, best bet is to do a couple of nights on your drive. You'll be popping back in the house all the time for things you need, stupid obscure things can catch you out. Razor, mustard, bottle opener, scissors, mobile charger etc. When 12 hours have passed and you've needed nothing from the house, it's probably safe to say you've cracked it:thumb: That said ... click :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

A good woman to keep the bed warm :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1