1st motorhome payload issue

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by ronnieb, May 30, 2014.

1. ronnieb

ronnieb Read Only Funster

Hi
    We have just taken possession of our new motorhome. We have been looking for months for a 6 berth motorhome with a rear lounge which had to weigh 3500 mtplm due to my age 70 in 2 years.

We eventually found an old 2002 model

Couldn't find payload or miro information anywhere so I took it to a local weighbridge.

The weight came in at 3060kgs (giving payload of 440kgs)
    That included 90% fuel and leisure battery. Nothing else. Not even me!
    Got home and started to load up weighing everything.

Me, wifey, teenage daughter, dog (224 KGS) , bare essentials (and I mean bare) have gone in leaving us 61 KGS for food, water, clothes, spare battery, 3 bikes.
    Somehow I don't think we can do it.

After searching high and low on the net I have come across the same model with a mtplm of 3850kgs.

I'm guessing that as our payload 'seems' too small that our van has been down plated.
    I've checked to see if there are any other plates anywhere but there are none just the one showing 3500kgs

It seems like our only option is going to have to have it plated up to 3850. We didn't want a van this heavy in the 1st place due to my age

My questions are

1) are there records kept anywhere that can tell us if the motorhome has been downplated.
    2) should we have paperwork showing this has happened.
    3) do we have any recourse against the company who sold us the motor home. Should they have known / told us

Is 440 KGS normal for an old van with 3 traveling seats.

We were thrilled with our new van but this has put a real dampener on it.

Any suggestions welcome

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

looks like uprating for the van and medicals for you in 2 years time if you want to retain a 6 berth van, might be easier to have a go at the dealer and downsize now.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yes, it has been downrated but at the factory.

As you are aware a standard B car licence is up to 3500kg and as many commercial drivers (builders etc) only have B catagory downrating opens up a whole new market.

You could uprate to 3850kg but then as roger said......medicals over 70years old.

An option would be to tow a trailer for camping stuff......BBQ, AWNING etc

You can easily get a 750kg trailer which would be more than enough payload.

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

most were never down plated just the factory didnt use the higher weight.
    really most 3,500kg gvw motor homes are unfit for purpose .
    at 70 you do keep the b+e so fifth wheelers make a good option .
    might be worth a rethink .

5. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi John
    Wouldn,t a trailer take it over the 3.500 limit at age 70 ? Pete

6. pappajohn

not that i know of...3500kg is the towing vehicle mass only ..so even if the E part of the B+E entitlement was removed at 70 you still have entitlement to tow a 750kg trailer....but as far as i know B+E is retained, its the C1 catagory (private heavy goods, over 3500kg GVW and up to 7500kg GVW) which is revoked.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the b+e part allows any weight trailer as long as the train weight of the towing vehicle isnt exceeded . . it changed on 19-1 2013 after then new licences allow only a trailer of 3,500kg
    it is possible to have 11ton trainweights on a b+e licence .
    thats why fifth wheelers are ideal.

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I thought that the towing vehicle itself (ie motorhome) cannot be more than 3500kg at age 70, but the weight of what it tows is determined by the permitted train weight of the motorhome, not an age restriction.

Oh heck, you lot beat me to it!

• Like Like x 2
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes minx you have it .

10. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi John
    I see what you mean , I have been looking on the DVLA web site and getting totally confused, on the caravan Club site it seem clearer but they don,t mention a trailer / motorhome combo just the usual towing vehicles, I am 70 next year so I am getting a bit close, my van is plated 4.250, I should be ok for the medical etc but it keeps coming to mind. Pete :Doh:

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

fifth wheel is the way . no need to have an aframe then .
    plus a m,bike in the back even better .
    planning before hand you could have a very nice outfit .

12. ronnieb

thanks for the comments folks

We are thinking if we up-plate it now we can downplate in 2 years, I'm presuming this can be done.

We could possibly squeeze in at the 3500kg. We are fully loaded except food, clothes and beer so will go back on the weight bridge to see exactly what we have left over.
    If I go on a diet, and my daughter stops growing we could just do it.

Interesting idea about the towing, we have just ditched the caravan after !!??! years because we got fed up with towing, but if we put a towbar on the back this would really eat into the small amount of payload we have now.

It's really frustrating, because we spent ages looking for the perfect motorhome, which this is as long as we travel naked and don't eat drink or shower !

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you arent the first and certainly wont be the last one to make that mistake . there is a purge going on at present stopping m,homes and portable weighing them so be warned .

14. laneside

laneside Funster

Welcome to the world of little or no payload motorhomes been through most of the hoops and now just on with retaining my C1 entitlement :thumb::thumb:

15. pappajohn

yes it can.......

Up plating is a little complicated and you may need some documentation....and is done by post at DVLA Swansea, since they closed all the local offices.

A company called Svtech in Lancashire can do it for you with a good history of successful up plating.......they dont even need to see the van, you just send them the weights etc, its all on their website...but it will cost around £250.

Downplating is easy, just a paper exersize....just fill in the old V5 with the new weight and send to Swansea or at a post office and they send you a new V5 and tax disc

16. ronnieb

Yes I've heard of them. Trying to look on the bright side if we do up plate then at least the tax will be less so it will be beneficial in a way.
    Maybe I will sail through the medical at 70 ...... If not the wife can drive

17. pappajohn

i believe you can apply for your licence up to 90 days in advance.....i would suggest you do.

Things can take a while if they need further documentation from your doctor etc...

Some folks have waited months for a licence.
    And of course, you cant drive the van once your current licence expires until you get the new licence as technically you can only drive up to 3500kg.

18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

But if your wife is under 70 and has a C1 she can drive it until your license comes through.

The payload issue is a b****r and a lot of people fall foul of it. A friend of ours has a 6 berth MH 3,500kg plate and when he had is weighed it wasn't far short of 5,000kg :Eek!::Eeek:

He's looking for a new MH!

We wanted a 3/4 berth van and knew the payload would be critical. This was a deciding factor in our choice of make/model and going for a Euro-van rather than a Brit-Van. Brit-Vans seem to come with many more domestic comforts (ovens for example) - especially in the more purse friendly ranges - but every extra cuts into the payload.

19. laneside

laneside Funster

Good advice as usual from Pappajohn

In theory the DVLA will send you a D46P form about two months before your seventy birthday but filling this in will not retain your C1 entitlement you need to obtain a D4 form which is downloadable off line but requires a doctor to fill in and I believe a D2 form which is only available from the DVLA and they are very slow to respond.

Start the ball rolling at least 3 months before your birthday especially important if you have any medical issues

20. ronnieb

Thanks papajohn want aware of that fact. Very useful to know

The big question 440 kg payload before anyone even sits in it (3 travelling seats) if we were a 4 person family we would be having serious problems

This wasn't mentioned when we bought it, has anyone ever gone back to the dealer and got any where. As I said no figures anywhere just the 3500