12volt solar panel lead advice (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Ive been lucky enough to be given a 5watt solar panel, unfortunately the lead with a cigarette lighter style plug isn't long enough to reach my leisure battery plug, can I buy an extension lead and if so what type? Please bear in mind I'm a beginner at this , so dummies replies would be best for me lol, your help would be appreciated

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Oh, unfortunately my van is soo small, mini, micro, campervan, that I struggle to store things, so, what would you recommend I do? Could I just start my van and leave it ticking over to charge my battery? Would that work? all I need to run is a cool box, the tap for the water, recharge lights and phone when required plus my Avtex tv and that's it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Running the engine for 5 mins will put more power in then that panel will do in a day or two...
A good or new battery should do what you want, especially if you bought a used van and dont know the history of the leisure battery, Also fit the largest you can get in the space. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh, unfortunately my van is soo small, mini, micro, campervan, that I struggle to store things, so, what would you recommend I do? Could I just start my van and leave it ticking over to charge my battery? Would that work? all I need to run is a cool box, the tap for the water, recharge lights and phone when required plus my Avtex tv and that's it

Running the engine sounds like your only option if you can't hook up.

5W might manage 0.25A, your alternator can manage 100A.

But I have no idea how your van is wired but normally they are wired to feed about 20A into the hab battery.

When you say "all I need....." that is quite a list you quote.

Have you a voltmeter on your hab battery ? If so here is a guide to how much it's holding.

dsc-marine-electrical-systems-seminar-020311-44-728.jpg

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Ok, so I could just about get a 40watt folding panel stowed in my van, but one drawback ive discovered is that I have to have my window open to feed the wire through and it and wet my bedding lol.
Maybe I'll just turn my van over to charge it up, it seems the simplest answer to me for
Recharging my battery. That's one good thing about the Avtex TV , it has a built in battery gauge so you can check the battery level

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't bother with it, it will hardly give enough output most of the time to compensate for the batteries natural loss, and put it behind a UV filter (windscreen) you will get even less out.

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have no idea how its wired either, I'm just beginning to realize the limitations of leisure batteries, still, its got to be one up camping? well, just about.
So, would you think even a 40watt isn't worth bothering with and just run my engine?

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Ok, well that will save me some money and space , put it towards fuel for the van.
Thanks to you all for your input, its much appreciated and I'm on a learning curve.
It will be interesting to see how I get on in France, I don't have EHU and I'm going to be away for a month, although for a few days at the beginning and end of my holiday.i will be on the move.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ok, well that will save me some money and space , put it towards fuel for the van.
Thanks to you all for your input, its much appreciated and I'm on a learning curve.
It will be interesting to see how I get on in France, I don't have EHU and I'm going to be away for a month, although for a few days at the beginning and end of my holiday.i will be on the move.
You are going to flatten your battery for sure:rolleyes:
preparation before you set off is a must solutions abroad will cost at least double and stress you out more than you need

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't have EHU and I'm going to be away for a month, although for a few days at the beginning and end of my holiday.i will be on the move.

So you are saying that you'll be parked up for the best part of a month with no hookup.

I would guess you'll drain your leisure battery in 4 days.

You mention cooler box, I'm guessing here but that sounds like a constant drain and could be a real killer. Can you find a label on it with either watts or amps.

While 40W is definitely better than nothing I doubt you will survive on that.

You will survive running your engine for as much as a few hours at a time, not optimal but you'll survive. What you need to do is monitor battery voltage, how are you going to do this ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Work out your battery needs before you go and address the problem , if thats not possible make plans that might include hook up every 2/3 days.
The 40 watt panel will help if only a little it may stretch your power out longer
from what you say about traveling only at the front and end of your trip you will be running your engine an awful lot for charging, assuming your system is set up to charge that way, (have you satisfied your self that it is?
engine run in this manner should be for emergency use only NOT a substitute for battery management
G

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Well, the only way I could get hook up , is if someone with EHU takes pity and lets me have a bit of charge, which of course I will gladly pay for. All the EHU are taken, all I need is charge for my battery lights, phone and when I use water, I might get away without the coolbox at night and hopefully I will enjoy the Twin Lakes soo much I wont need tv for company.
As to knowing anything technical , I'm a total div, I only know I have to watch that the battery doesn't drop too low lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the Twin Lakes soo much I wont need tv for company.
As to knowing anything technical , I'm a total div, I only know I have to watch that the battery doesn't drop too low lol

Why didn't you say twin lakes, FUNsters won't let you suffer. Cost is nothing, a pound or two would cover your whole holiday. You should take a UK plug adaptor for your hook up so you can plug inside a UK MH.

So have you got a voltmeter of some sort ?

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
The only way I can check my battery, is with the Avtex gauge, which say , good, ok or low and the tv switches itself off if the battery is running too low, that's all I know, I'm afraid

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The only way I can check my battery, is with the Avtex gauge, which say , good, ok or low and the tv switches itself off if the battery is running too low, that's all I know, I'm afraid

Treat yourself to one of these..........

Assuming you have a socket connected to your leisure battery.

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Yes I do have a European adaptor , in case I get lucky , only the tv gauge as a monitor for the battery. I'm following Tjay over to France so they will keep an eye on me I'm sure

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I think I do have a socket connected to the leisure battery, I will try and confirm that. You will have to explain to me how a voltage meter would help . If I can explain that my knowledge of leisure batteries is a good as my knowledge of cars, I can drive a car, I don't understand much of what goes on under the bonnet I'm afraid , except I need to have the car serviced and check the tyres etc

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You will have to explain to me how a voltage meter would help

Easy, plug in meter ( which will also charge your phone ) and if voltage is as low as 12.0V it's time to get some charging done.

Have you got a continental to UK plug adaptor so you can plug in at home ? If so take it because anyone giving you electricity can do so without problem by you plugging into their UK socket in the MH.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
To get it back to solar panels, if you can find room for a 40watt you should be able to find room for a 80watt folding as it will only be about 25mm/1 inch thicker, with 80watts you should be able to harvest some useful power especially as you can keep it pointed at the sun when you are around.

Martin

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I do have a couple of chargers I run for my phone and satnav that I can run off my cigarette lighter socket and my 12 v sockets, ive also bought a uk to continental plug for my hook up, I also have the type of continental plugs you take on holiday with you for hotels etc. I'll look into the size of an 80watt panel, I wonder if its worth putting a solar panel on the roof of my car??
Could be costly i would think, especially wiring that up

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
hook up will be worthless if you dont have a charger for your batteries,i assume you do have two batteries one for the van and one for leisure?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I do have a couple of chargers I run for my phone and satnav that I can run off my cigarette lighter socket and my 12 v sockets, ive also bought a uk to continental plug for my hook up, I also have the type of continental plugs you take on holiday with you for hotels etc. I'll look into the size of an 80watt panel, I wonder if its worth putting a solar panel on the roof of my car??
Could be costly i would think, especially wiring that up
If you have the room up there the roof is fit and forget and of course it is secure, a loose panel will need getting out, plugging in, moving into the sun all day and securing with a bike lock as well so a bit more work, yes a proper installation will cost a few hundred.

Martin

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Fit a 100wflexi panel on you roof .you need a control unit between panel and battery,batteries if pos you should be ok

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Yes, I have two batteries, one is the car battery which I am told connects to 3 off 12v sockets and the leisure battery which connects to 1 off 12v socket and of course my cigarette lighter socket which I presume runs off the car battery, that's it as far as I can tell, so only 1 socket is connected to the leisure battery , so I've been told

OP
OP
patricia the newbie
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
What do you mean by a charger for your batteries? I have a socket for getting EHU and the only other way I know of charging is by running the engine and or driving in it

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Be careful what you run off the car battery when you are not driving as you could end up with it flat and not starting.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back