12 volt leisure system staying "live"

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by bmwtouring, May 20, 2009.

1. bmwtouring

bmwtouring Read Only Funster

I have a bessacarr e495 (2007) and I have just had a Camos dish fitted.

The guy that fitted it pointed out that the 12 volt leisure system was staying "live" (ie status aerial box staying on, cooker igniter still working and cigarette lighter tv socket staying on, even when the onboard over door computer panel was switched off.
    There is also a constant drain from the leisure battery of about 1 amp.

When the engine is started it all goes off, but obviously when I store the van the battery is draining all the time.

Any experts have any idea on a workround or experienced this themselves or is this a fault I have to live with?

Cheers
    Kev

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

not sure what the normal setup is or if it is faulty, it would be quite easy to fit a master "OFF" switch that would disconnect everything, 1 amp takes some finding no doubt you will end up with flat batteries
    Until sorted I would make sure the engine is switched on when you switch the hab off, could be the relay is powered from the main engine battery.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

try turning off the status booster box at its own switch......on the box itself....or unplug its power plug then check for drain again.
    dont know how much power they consume on 'standby' but it will use some.

did it have a current drain before the camos was fitted ?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. bmwtouring

I have tried turning the status off at the switch and the new positioner for the camos off, the drain is still there, and according to the camos fitter the light on the status was already on before he started work!
    kev

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Following on from Roger's post.

Our Autoquest has a master switch fitted and I have noticed similar switches in other makes of van when looking round them at shows/dealers.

When the switch is on then all of the 12v circuit is live until the engine is started. Any appliances (e.g. lights, Status box) left switched on would cause a current drain. I suppose even the meter which shows the state of charge of the leisure battery would cause some drain as well.

When the van is not in use I normally turn the master switch off.

Graham

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just a thought......if you have an alarm/tracker fitted is it wired directly to the leisure battery?

7. bmwtouring

Pappajohn,
    I will have to check with the dealer tomorrow, I am not sure where the alarm goes but I am pretty confident it is on the cab battery.

GJH,
    My main fuse box and charger are under the dining area seat do you think I should switch off from there?

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I should have thought any main switch would be easily accessible.

Our main switch is just inside the habitation door - as the sales lady told us, just in the right place to catch it with a shopping bag if you're not careful.

Others I've noticed have been fairly obvious - I suppose I shouldn't have noticed them otherwise :Smile:

Graham

9. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

The system on my Hymer 'draws' approx. 0.5 amps when the 12v is 'switched off'. I think it is just the Electroblock ? This seems to be a characteristic of other Hymers as far as I know.
    I was warned about completely isolating the 12v supply in winter because it would prevent the automatic 'frost' valve on the boiler operating, if the vehicle was still in use.

Roll-on the Revolution!

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just done some Googling and found a 2007 handbook on the Swift web site.

Page 49 of the electrical section Here has a paragraph about the on/off switch for the Control Panel:
    The bit in bold is my emphasis - looks like there is a constant current draw to maintain the computerised control panel, similar to the Hymer as Sam mentioned.

Graham

11. bmwtouring

GJH, thanks for all your thoughts,
    any idea why the 12v system is still working when the NE184 control unit is switched off?
    kev

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No idea I'm afraid. I think I would be looking for a check from a qualified electrician.

Graham