10A solar panel controller and regulator (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
I recently purchased from a supplier on ebay a 100W suitcase type solar panel, but the regulator supplied packed up after one trip away, have since purchased a similar controller that I had to wait for coming from China, that one did not work at all so now I've paid a bit extra and received a classier looking component with dial indications of battery voltage and charging rate but that one only lasted one day and has also packed it in, so can you motorhomers suggest a decent controller that I can purchase from a reliable UK source, will need it for next season starting in April.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What size (watts) is the panel ?

Three failed controllers doesn't sound right, one maybe but not three.

I would suspect something wrong with the panel.
Check the voltage in good sunlight, if you can find any, it should be around 17 to 20 volts BEFORE the regulator.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
and what was the rating on the controller?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
have you got a link to what you bought from ebay?

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
also, @wiff2110 , in what way are they packing up?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's a 100W panel and it produces 20 volts.
But have you physically checked the voltage with a multimeter....or are you going on the data sheet ?

Checking the voltage will also show if the panel itself has been factory wired back to front....live black or blue wire and earth red or brown wire which would pop the controller pretty much straight away unless it has a blocking diode fitted to protect against reverse polarity.

If it's correct then its max output is 5amps theoretical but around 3.5 to 4amps in the real world.
Easily within a 10 amp controllers ability.

OP
OP
wiff2110
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
IMG_0048.PNG
IMG_0048.PNG
Yes I measured the panel output with a voltmeter, bearing in mind that it did charge initially and verified the amp rate again with the multimeter, then I consider the solar panel to be ok. I have attempted to upload a picture of the most recent controller.

OP
OP
wiff2110
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
They are packing it in by the output voltage falls to around 0 volts on the first controller and 2 volts on the second one, the latest one in the picture also lost voltage output to around 3.5v. Even when connected only to a fully charged battery and the solar panel connections removed.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As its a suitcase type ,I'm assuming its portable?
When packing away
Are you disconnecting solar panel first then the battery ?
Or battery then the solar panel ?
On a normal fixed set up the latter can damage the controller ,I am told.

was using one similar on 120w panel with good results

Link Removed

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Is there a loose connection somewhere?

Presume you've got it wired, starting from furtherst left, pos solar, neg solar, pos battery, neg battery, pos load, neg load? and all of your load being drawn from the load (last two) terminals.

I remember when I was setting up my panels, I initially had the controller on a piece of cardboard gaffered to the van temporarily, the voltage one day was somehting mad like 3.1v it was just that the cable was hanging on by a thread. Worth checking all connections are sound and solid.

mine's a cheap and cheerful Esky 30 amp one from Amazon

OP
OP
wiff2110
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
My solar panel was connected + and - to the first 2 controller connections on the left, the 3rd and 4th was connected to the battery terminals + and - the 2 terminals on the right hand side of the controller were left unwired, one reason is that I do not know what their function is, maybe you can enlighten me.
With the suitcase set up I have then connected to the battery, through push fit connectors, and when finished I have just pulled to push fit connectors apart, close it all up and finished.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
What are you running from the battery? and how are you connecting that?

OP
OP
wiff2110
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
Hello Jollyroger. The controller is attached and permanently connected. It is located to the inner side of the solar panel so I am just connecting it to the batteryy and when finished I just pull the push/pull connectors apart and stow it away. There were no special instruction except to ensure + and - were correct.

OP
OP
wiff2110
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
Hi jnn. These are my 3 x 80w batteries connected in parallel permanently connected to to the services. As I mention in my previous I use a push pull type connectors.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Lots of possibilities but I think most likely is you've got a loose connection somewhere either between batteries or between batteries and the controller

The load sockets that you mentioned you didn't know what they're for, in mine they supply my fuse board and i connect everything from there rather than directly from the batteries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back