‘Unexploded bombs’: call for action after 11 deaths in UK due to e-bike fires (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
eBikes aren't inherently dangerous. Cheap and unregulated conversion kits are the problem.

Unfortunately a very large proportion of our food delivery industry totally relies on these kits. Cracking down on them will make thousands of people effectively unemployed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Buy a reputable brand rather than some junker from Amazon or eBay that you won’t be able to get spares for.
The home conversion kits you can get are super dodgy.

Buy cheap, buy twice with eBikes.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
eBikes aren't inherently dangerous. Cheap and unregulated conversion kits are the problem.

Unfortunately a very large proportion of our food delivery industry totally relies on these kits. Cracking down on them will make thousands of people effectively unemployed.
Pay people next to nothing treat them as self employed and don’t give them a delivery bike. It’s no wonder it’s that sector at risk from substandard equipment.

Humans and countries do not learn from one another !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have seen one of these bike batteries go up in a motorhome locker, luckily the owner just happened to be in at the time otherwise the van would have gone up for sure and a couple more next to it possibly, it wasn't even on charge it was just sat there minding it's own business, and it wasn't a cheap eBay kit.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I have seen one of these bike batteries go up in a motorhome locker, luckily the owner just happened to be in at the time otherwise the van would have gone up for sure and a couple more next to it possibly, it wasn't even on charge it was just sat there minding it's own business, and it wasn't a cheap eBay kit.
If the battery was not a cheap import, then can you please tell us what make it was? Also it may have been overcharged by a cheap replacement charger. After all when some low life nicks an ebike off the street they do not have the charger, subsequently when the bike is sold on or used it needs a replacement charger to keep it in use.... Hello Amazon eBay.........

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If the battery was not a cheap import, then can you please tell us what make it was? Also it may have been overcharged by a cheap replacement charger. After all when some low life nicks an ebike off the street they do not have the charger, subsequently when the bike is sold on or used it needs a replacement charger to keep it in use.... Hello Amazon eBay.........
Well of course they are all imports but this was from a UK dealer and they replaced the battery, it was 4 years ago or more now so I can't remember make and details but it was a bit of a wake up call that reinforced the need to fire spacing between vans at rallies.

IMG_2726.jpeg

Found the photo, Volt bike whether it had been mistreated in some way re charging or mechanical damage I don't know so I won't be jumping to any conclusions.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Bought our 2 from halfords 4 years ago so correct chargers for the batteries I charge them at home in the garage but if we are away I charge them in the van and sometimes as we are driving via an inverter have I been lucky

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

Our food delivery industry is problematic on multiple fronts, there are sadly people who eat take aways every day delivered to their homes , which they can not afford and run up debts, it is also extremely unhealthy , and for the people “employed” they are not, it’s modern slavery, they are treated very badly on average.
Huge numbers working in the industry are not entitled to work in the UK.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bought our 2 from halfords 4 years ago so correct chargers for the batteries I charge them at home in the garage but if we are away I charge them in the van and sometimes as we are driving via an inverter have I been lucky
The chances of being unlucky are pretty slim to be fair, "do you feel lucky" ?

Just to add we have a Shimano battery and charge it in the van if I must but otherwise outside.

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Scare mongering at it's best..
Probably not given the number of incidents lost lives and injuries. I have an e-bike it’s charged away from the house so if did go up we should be safe. I guess it’s no different to storing petrol

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
That's what 'Trading Standards' are for. If you import some hunk of junk from China via FleaBay or the like, what do you expect.
Cheap doesn't necessarily mean cheerful.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Probably not given the number of incidents lost lives and injuries. I have an e-bike it’s charged away from the house so if did go up we should be safe. I guess it’s no different to storing petrol
We also have e-bikes, converted by me, bought from a reputable company (https://eclipsebikes.com/), using all fully matched motors, batteries and (fan cooled) chargers.

Never experienced any signs of overheating when charging batteries, as the article says, it's down to cheap not fit for purpose junk bought/stolen..

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Well of course they are all imports but this was from a UK dealer and they replaced the battery, it was 4 years ago or more now so I can't remember make and details but it was a bit of a wake up call that reinforced the need to fire spacing between vans at rallies.

View attachment 873484

Found the photo, Volt bike whether it had been mistreated in some way re charging or mechanical damage I don't know so I won't be jumping to any conclusions.
I remember it well, certainly a wake up call.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
I am an avid mountain biker. Know literally hundreds of people with proper e-bikes. These things are in the £6-14k region and use similar battery technologies to electric cars and therefore inherently safe. Of course there is a risk, there always is, but companies like Bosch and Shimano who make the motors on these high end pieces of kit will have taken the utmost due diligence to ensure that their products are safe.

But a huge number of conversion kits and even low cost commuter bikes don’t have anywhere near the same level of safety and quality control standards that the big boys have. Some brands use a Shimano motor but with a low tech 3rd party battery.

If a battery conversion kit was available for a car would it be allowed to be sold on Amazon or the like. No because of health and safety reasons.

So yes the journalism is sensationalist but I for one believe that this technology should be regulated - I.e. none of this cheap shite.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Most folks are looking at cheap lithium batteries for their motorhomes,
When they see the price do they look for any form of certification? Or is safety second to price

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Correct.
A few out of hundreds of thousands, and more likely cheap Chinese imported shite.
Most if not all are manufactured in China and the far east not all is poor

OP
OP
Coolcats

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am an avid mountain biker. Know literally hundreds of people with proper e-bikes. These things are in the £6-14k region and use similar battery technologies to electric cars and therefore inherently safe. Of course there is a risk, there always is, but companies like Bosch and Shimano who make the motors on these high end pieces of kit will have taken the utmost due diligence to ensure that their products are safe.

But a huge number of conversion kits and even low cost commuter bikes don’t have anywhere near the same level of safety and quality control standards that the big boys have. Some brands use a Shimano motor but with a low tech 3rd party battery.

If a battery conversion kit was available for a car would it be allowed to be sold on Amazon or the like. No because of health and safety reasons.

So yes the journalism is sensationalist but I for one believe that this technology should be regulated - I.e. none of this cheap shite.
I think most if not all of the articles refer to poor and mismatched components so not sure it’s poor journalism

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
To buy a replacement battery for two of our eBikes ..750w size cost 945€ each..we have been told by the company that sells our bikes that their batteries are made to order from Samsung..quite a reputable company I believe..
However eScooters sold in our local electrical outlet can cost as little as 399€. They are branded as Yo-tac-Ya-Chanz.con which I've never heard of...think its from China?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We have 2 Claud Butler folding electric bikes advertised on here , several years old, they were expensive to buy, regularly charged in my workshop, they were a good make, now just think under another name

Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
As long as you use the correct charger and don’t leave them unattended whilst charging, you should be fine.

I think that a lot of fires are caused by the wrong type of charger. Important not to be tempted by claims of fast charging, unless it’s properly controlled, it can produce a lot of heat. Also important to check batteries for any obvious physical damage, if it looks wrong, don’t use it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Cheap chargers and cheap batteries just have a fixed flow into the battery. Which is really not clever for lithium batteries.

Good setups monitor the charge flow and reduce it down when the battery is nearly full, then cut off when full. The battery should also have built in thermal protection to stop charging if they get too hot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back