£ hits 1.40 Euro again.... (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Ja ja
acropolis-greece-sale.jpg

parthenon-and-the-acropolis-copy.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does anyone know why the rate has suddenly improved over the last week or so?

There are potentially serious political problems in Portugal looming but I haven't seen anything else to explain it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Apparently the euro is still overpriced, the ECB had a meeting in which Draghi all but said that more measures would be brought in to rein the strength of the euro. I think the next meeting is in early December where the traders believe measures will actually be implemented such as extending the quantative easing date which is currently Sept 16.
I'm looking at buying in Spain so monitor the exchange rate daily. It was 1.44 at one stage recently hen nosedived to low 1.30s now has climbed up.
One trader I follow believed the euro was going to be 1.50, then China started selling their currency.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I read reports a few months ago suggesting the euro could hit 1.5 to the pound before too long. No idea if it will happen?

Currently in the Canaries, so quite happy at 1.40.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The £ will follow it as we are dependent upon the EEC for so much , we cannot float outside and pretend it will not affect us.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Isn't the fact that the euro being strong knocks hell out of cheap package holidays.
When the old pesaeta, drachma and escudo were around spending power made these destination attractive .
Bulgaria and Turkey are mopping up this type of tourism right now.

Ecconomies relying on tourism suffer when the euro is strong.

Handouts are the only saving grace for these countries being part of the euro.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Apparently the euro is still overpriced, the ECB had a meeting in which Draghi all but said that more measures would be brought in to rein the strength of the euro. I think the next meeting is in early December where the traders believe measures will actually be implemented such as extending the quantative easing date which is currently Sept 16.
I'm looking at buying in Spain so monitor the exchange rate daily. It was 1.44 at one stage recently hen nosedived to low 1.30s now has climbed up.
One trader I follow believed the euro was going to be 1.50, then China stated selling their currency.
Tread very carefully and do a lot of homework before you buy in Spain. One very serious concern is that the British are no longer popular with the Spanish. It's now the turn of the Russians. We had a place over there but the costs and extra taxation was nearly trebled in 10 years. Beware of the hidden costs not many will reveal when purchasing also your compulsory will which they'll sting you for. Add on excessive bank charges and property taxes for non resident. If you need any help just PM me.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just visit and enjoy .
i remember 330 pesetas to the pound as a child . it was about 250 when it all went euro.
at one time a few years ago uk had lost two thirds compared to the 60,s .

Deleted User
Tread very carefully and do a lot of homework before you buy in Spain. One very serious concern is that the British are no longer popular with the Spanish. It's now the turn of the Russians. We had a place over there but the costs and extra taxation was nearly trebled in 10 years. Beware of the hidden costs not many will reveal when purchasing also your compulsory will which they'll sting you for. Add on excessive bank charges and property taxes for non resident. If you need any help just PM me.

I think if your intending to live "long term" in Spain, your safest bet by far is to long term let.

You can get a 2 bed villa with access to a pool for circa €500 per month, your only commitment is a 3 month contract.

If you don't like it (or your villa turns out to soon become a motorway) simply move somewhere else. You can then keep your money in the relative safety of the UK property market.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best just visit in winter . keep your uk place or move to somewhere you like in uk .
summer in uk is nice if your in the right place . spain etc are nice to visit in winter but keep moving see a bit more .
i thought i mght buy in spain but i,m glad i didnt . mind i thought my parents might buy in spain. now i think i,m becoming my dad. i know where he was coming from now. just visit and leave.come back to uk its lovely here .

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
was about 250 when it all went euro.
261 pesetas to the pound new years eve day before change over.

A euro was introduced at 166 pesetas.

Making a £1 = €1.57

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think if your intending to live "long term" in Spain, your safest bet by far is to long term let.

You can get a 2 bed villa with access to a pool for circa €500 per month, your only commitment is a 3 month contract.

If you don't like it (or your villa turns out to soon become a motorway) simply move somewhere else. You can then keep your money in the relative safety of the UK property market.
Too true, good advice, we have recently had visitors to the Camperstop who intended to LONG TERM RENT nearby in Murcia.
They viewed a few properties and when the agent (Bless him) told them they could buy the one they decided on to rent, THEY BOUGHT IT, they had been in Spain less than one week. Now whats that expression the Spanish say?
"Leave your Brain on the Plane."

Not heard of the Spanish not liking the Brits, our circle of Spanish friends don't think or express that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

You were obviously tucked up along the line somewhere ? Or bought on the cds.:)
I thought most knew that you can add 10-12% to asking price for taxes/fees ,etc;when buying ? Never heard the "don't like the brits wherever I've been " ? The only thing my council tax has done is reduce by 30% .Bank charges , yes I'll give you that one although I was told before I moved that they had the highest charges in western europe ! I just go in and say Wtf is this & normally get them reinstated.
I'd have to agree about buying at the moment though. Not for your reasons but for the fact that a brexit could see us all deported!:D
I certainly wouldn't buy again ,I'd rent as everyone else is saying.
Then again the chances of actually selling anything here , even a car ,is nigh on impossible unless given away.:eek:

You can get a 4/5 bed, gated in 5000m2 with pool for that around here :LOL:

Too true, good advice, we have recently had visitors to the Camperstop who intended to LONG TERM RENT nearby in Murcia.
They viewed a few properties and when the agent (Bless him) told them they could buy the one they decided on to rent, THEY BOUGHT IT, they had been in Spain less than one week. Now whats that expression the Spanish say?
"Leave your Brain on the Plane."

Not heard of the Spanish not liking the Brits, our circle of Spanish friends don't think or express that.
I can never understand those who do that. :(

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Interesting comments!
Trouble is - you only hear the horror stories.
We moved to Spain in September. We did our research, visited the area , got a good agent and a good solicitor, and have never been happier!
I didn't want my lump sum tied up in a bank or a financial product - so bought a fantastic 3/4 bed villa with land and pool, fab sea and mountain views, 10 mins to town, great neighbours, English and Spanish, have deal with all the paperwork with ease (it's about understanding the system and accepting it!) after all - their country their rules!
Overall cost of living is low.
If we decide to change location will rent the villa out and go rent elsewhere leaving my capital safe in property - and the spanish market is slowly picking up. As for a Brexit - I don't believe that will affect ex pats - it would harm the local economy too much. There's bound to be some paperwork but hey - that's spain!
In a nutshell - best thing we ever did - no regrets - and by accepting local ways and joining in we feel totally at home!

Off for Sunday beers and paella shortly

Oh - did I Mention -the suns shining!

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Off for Sunday beers and paella shortly

Oh - did I Mention -the suns shining!

What? At quarter to nine in the morning! No wonder so many brit alcholics down there:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody typical
I just organised mine.. Got them at 1.37 €
Mind you, that was the price delivered to me, so not too bad as places like Sainsbury etc are quoting 1.35.7 € today

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
just visit and enjoy .
i remember 330 pesetas to the pound as a child . it was about 250 when it all went euro.
at one time a few years ago uk had lost two thirds compared to the 60,s .

Hell I Got nearly 3 Dollars for the Pound back in the Day!. More recently we`ve been doing well to get 1.5.

Pete

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I just bought another £100 worth at €141.66
So my average in the past week has been over 1:40 and £400 in four transactions has bought me €561.29 :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back