DPF Cleaner Fluid. (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have the glowplug light that comes on and then that leads to the engine light and then goes into limp mode.Some times it clears itself,but the light
always comes back on.
So I have been recommended to use this product from Wynns.

Amazon product ASIN B008VQMLXE
I have read all the reviews and they are mostly giving good results.
I have not used it yet,and will report back with results when I have.(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why ?

All it needs is high revs (2500 to 3000 rpm) for 15 minutes to produce enough exhaust heat to clean the DPF.
Go for a run and leave the box in 4th gear.

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Why ?

All it needs is high revs (2500 to 3000 rpm) for 15 minutes to produce enough exhaust heat to clean the DPF.

I have done that a number of times,and all it does is bring the
engine light on as its telling the engine it has another fault!:oops:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Rev the bo****s off it all you want... Tip in as much cleaner as you want....
At some point Fiat computer will say "NO".. and something will need changing...

Went to Benidorm and back in mine, revving hard, used cleaner, cleared faults with OBD reader...
Gave up on the last run in to Calais dock.. Managed to limp home.. JUST....
New DPF sensor fitted and (fingers crossed) run fine since.... Local garage £150.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why ?

Not always, my van never sat about did 20k plus in first 2 years.. Nowt I know for a diesel van but reasonable for a motorhome.. Still had the DPF sensor problem and no amount of high rev running or cleaner worked for me.. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Not always, my van never sat about did 20k plus in first 2 years.. Nowt I know for a diesel van but reasonable for a motorhome.. Still had the DPF sensor problem and no amount of high rev running or cleaner worked for me.. :(

What cleaner did you try Tonka?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What cleaner did you try Tonka?

Sorry.. Cant remember, was back last summer 2015...
Tried the hard running and cleaner but no good.
Gave it a blast to Benidorm and ran ok to Valencia then light came on and new errors showed.
Had my hols and chanced it back, On return had to clear faults but on last morning just before the ferry it almost gave up on me, managed to get on ferry. Luckily it started, ran a bit low powered but got me home..
Search DPF all the info ref the sensor should be on here somewhere..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have done that a number of times,and all it does is bring the
engine light on as its telling the engine it has another fault!:oops:
Then it's not the DPF, it has to be a faulty sensor or the filter is completely blocked and nothing will clean it.
If my mercedes engine doesn't regenerate through driving the ECU forces a regeneration.
Why this isn't a function of all engines beats me.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I think most Fiat owners around that era had new sensors fitted due to faults coming up.
Just for the record when the light came on in my van the engine would not rev above 1500 rpm so that blew the shit out of just rev it up and it will clear its self.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think most Fiat owners around that era had new sensors fitted due to faults coming up.
Just for the record when the light came on in my van the engine would not rev above 1500 rpm so that blew the shit out of just rev it up and it will clear its self.
You have to clear the fault code causing the limp mode first, then it will rev.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The AA man cleared the the fault but after a miniute the light was back on at the end of the day the sensor was faulty and was replaced as the light just kept coming back on.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
How old is your van? There was an issue with the early X250s, 2007-8, with water ingress onto the engine which has resulted in various problems connected to the breathing system.

Just ended a 6 month saga with ours with similar behaviour, final solution was throttle body replaced although I've heard of EGR valves being changed as well. I bit the bullet and took it to a Fiat main dealer who identified the problem on the analyser and sorted it. You can spend £100's with garages who "know what is wrong" before it's sorted - yes Fiat were expensive but they sorted it first time.

Take it to a dealer.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I put a Wynns gold treatment in my last Iveco 3 litre and it did have a positive effect, both on the sensors and the readings at a main dealer

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Ran mine at 3000 revs in 6th gear and shot down the A50 at 85 miles per hour.:eek:

John.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I know this is an old thread but last week pulled off a duel carridge way after travelling at 70 mph in to slow moving traffic and yes the engine light came on switched the light off no changh the van was in limp mode but reved to 3,000 rpm just but no umph went 35 miles like that no change,
Set off home this morning with Whyns dpf cleaner in the tank after a few miles we could smell a parifine smell strong the van reved as normal pulled well but the light stayed on no detriment cleared the light all ok now.
I have never been an advocate of fuel additives but this may have proved me wrong at the end of the day the manufacturers can not get it right and want to charge us for it, Fiat said it could cost near 2K worst case sinareo.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Deleted... Hobgoblin overload..
Don't read fun when p****ed. ....

Stupid me...

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I don't have a DPF in my petrol engined motor home. :whistle: :rofl: :moon2:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If you have the engine management light coming on on a regular basis I suggest you take it to a dealer and get it checked out.
I had the same problem for a year or so and kept adding cleaner and also using a gismo to camcel the fault code.
It turned out it was a known fault that the manufacturers should have corrected on a recall though we were never advised of it. The problem eventually caused a catastrophic engine failiure, and because I'd had my servicing done privately the engine manufacturer refused to accept any liability, so I had to fork out for a new engine.
A few quid spent getting the dealer to check it out may be worth it, for peace of mind if nothing else.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
At the commercial vehicle show at the NEC last week and talking to a guy from Green Urban, they clean DPF's for truck's, while we were chatting he said they had a fluid that seemed to work very well on motorhomes for some reason, he did offer me some but we don't have a DPF.

Guy is Brian Firth.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
forte is the go to brand for many workshops. I had an issue on my Navara a while back. on advice, I used some forte injector cleaner in a part tank of diesel and took it for a decent drive. It made black smoke on acceleration for most of the journey, but the power was back to what it should be

since then every other fill up I use premium diesel with the extra cleaners in. Now the Navara drives like new again with no sign of smoking. somebody with many more years experience with diesels than me recons its down to cheap supermarket fuel and not working the engine hard enough to burn off the dirt doing too many short journeys around town

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Get an independent garage to check the Trouble codes. My sons' often use the diagnostics machine that does a forced re-generation. You won't want to watch/listen as the engine winds up to 4000 rpm and sits there like that for several minutes. :Eeek:
Bit of smoke but clears the problem and turns out the EML.
Assuming that is what yours requires.

I did a history print-out on mine, told me how many re-generations done, next due, state of oil, when service due based on type of use, mileage at last service, etc. etc. several pages in fact of various details.

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ok light came back on this morning cleaning fluid looks like it may not of worked:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back