Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just got mine. Love it but.....
I put a route in and want to save it as a favourite. Just cannot find a way.! Anyone help please?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Based on my Garmin I would select Trip Planner, create the route and at the end I have an option to save the route. Then if I want to select it it is listed under Trip Planner.

Doug

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think Doug is correct. I have a 560 which presumably follows the same logic as the 760.
Favourites are locations (POIs) rather than routes. If you want to create a route you have to plan it first in Trip Planner then save it.
If by 'I put a route in' you mean that you chose a destination and then the Garmin calculated the route, I don't think you can save that. You can of course save the destination as a favourite POI and then the Garmin will recreate the route next time you choose the same destination.
If you install Basecamp on your computer (free from the Garmin website) I think you may be able to achieve what you want. Basecamp is quite complicated and so far, I have only scratched the surface, but with the 760 attached to the computer via USB, Basecamp can upload recent 'Trips' - i.e. where it has actually taken you - not just calculated but then unused. I think these can then be saved back to the 760 and will appear in Trip Planner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks. My mind is still in tomtom mode where you create a route then go to favourites-add-recent route.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
The favourites folder is where you can save an address or POI. When you find the address etc you get a page headed Search Results and the Choice of Routes, "i" or Go. If you tap the "i" then you can save the address into your Favourites folder and give it a specific name. You can then use this to select it as a destination or waypoint.

Doug

PS This means I could save your corner of the campsite as a Favourite. I am not that mad!!!!!

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi, not tried that one yet. Just trying and perhaps succeeded in transferring a preferred route from basecamp to the 760.

Off to Corfe Castle tomorrow morning, will find out if ive got it right.

However said before and worth repeating Sat Navs can be a god send BUT need to be treated with common sense and a rough idea where your going or quick look at a decent map. The latter confirms your not going to do something you might regret later.

wish they had something similar engraved on a pint pot!!!!!!

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
PS anyone there next week?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Just to illustrate the issue a couple of weeks ago was in Stoke on Trent. Thought we would go a reminisce on the side of Rudyard lake (near Leek) So from Norton Green fired up the sat nav (NOT Garmin was VW) up comes a location stated as Rudyard-Congleton. Been 40 years since we left Stoke.

ok that looks ok, off we go. Well we travelled lots of, say we say scenery. to arrive at a housing estate in Congleton called Rudyard lake.

Embarrassed few minutes whilst 90 year old Aunt says I didn't think we were going the right way. :rolleyes::oops::mad:

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
If you install Basecamp on your computer (free from the Garmin website) I think you may be able to achieve what you want. Basecamp is quite complicated and so far, I have only scratched the surface
I make extensive use of routes, track logs, waypoints and custom POIs and I find Garmin Mapsource is far easier than Garmin Basecamp. There's some decent Mapsource tutorials you can find via google.
Mapsource was obsoleted by Garmin some years ago but still runs perfectly fine on Windows. Unfortunately Mapsource never ran on Mac OS but I find Basecamp so unusable that I bought software to enable me to run Mapsource via a Windows VM on the Mac.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I make extensive use of routes, track logs, waypoints and custom POIs and I find Garmin Mapsource is far easier than Garmin Basecamp. There's some decent Mapsource tutorials you can find via google.
Mapsource was obsoleted by Garmin some years ago but still runs perfectly fine on Windows. Unfortunately Mapsource never ran on Mac OS but I find Basecamp so unusable that I bought software to enable me to run Mapsource via a Windows VM on the Mac.

Try Tyretotravel it's fantastic its free and light years ahead of Base camp we use it for bike trips a lot.

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
I'm aware of Tire / Tyre but it plans routes on Google Maps which means you always need Internet access, and the Google Maps won't always correspond to the maps in the GPS unit (see screenshot), which would result in the route not being resolved.

But it might well be suitable for many motorhome owners.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.30.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.30.15.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hello people, I need HELP......PLEASE.

I arrived in France today for my first solo 3 week trip. I've got my brand new Garmin Camper 760 which is supposed to be pre-loaded with lifetime Europe maps. It worked fine in the UK and however, once I drove out of the Eurotunnel it stopped working. For a while all it showed was the magenta route, but the truck symbol was traversing across fields and it even crossed the magenta route line. It kept saying calculating 0% then 90% then back to 0%. Thank God I had my phone to help me. Can anyone help this lost soul? What am I doing wrong?

I would scream, but I'm going to take the dog for a walk very soon instead. I await all of you wise and experienced peeps of the road to come to my aid. MANY MANY THANKS ;-)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
You can also look at .. and use your your history... use that enough and it becomes a fav... (y)

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Got the favourites sorted.
One critisism i do have is that you can have toll routes in or out but there is no "ask" option!

Wolfie

Free Member
Mar 16, 2015
northern ireland
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
Do you not need to purchase a micro sd card for the 760 to download maps of europe onto

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hello people, I need HELP......PLEASE.

I arrived in France today for my first solo 3 week trip. I've got my brand new Garmin Camper 760 which is supposed to be pre-loaded with lifetime Europe maps. It worked fine in the UK and however, once I drove out of the Eurotunnel it stopped working. For a while all it showed was the magenta route, but the truck symbol was traversing across fields and it even crossed the magenta route line. It kept saying calculating 0% then 90% then back to 0%. Thank God I had my phone to help me. Can anyone help this lost soul? What am I doing wrong?

I would scream, but I'm going to take the dog for a walk very soon instead. I await all of you wise and experienced peeps of the road to come to my aid. MANY MANY THANKS ;-)
No idea what you might be doing wrong as we've never had that sort of problem with ours.
Came back home through the tunnel today with no problems.
I would turn the device off completely so that it has to reboot.
Hold the on/off button down for several seconds until it goes off, leave for a few seconds then repeat to start it up. It will then boot up saying it is searching for maps.
That just might sort it out.
If not go into settings and check which maps are loaded. It's always possible that only UK maps have been added.
Sorry I can't help more but I've never had that problem.

The short battery life can be overcome by leaving it plugged into a 12v dash socket. I wouldn't even try to use ours on the internal battery.

Richard.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your response.

I'm sure the solution is probably something very simple. Can I ask what your Nav says under Map Theme? With regard to charging the unit, I seem to have a problem with the 12v dash socket, so I guess I need to have a look under the bonnet (or maybe the manual first) to find where the fuses are.

I'm not sure I would call this all part of the joy!!!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your response.

I'm sure the solution is probably something very simple. Can I ask what your Nav says under Map Theme? With regard to charging the unit, I seem to have a problem with the 12v dash socket, so I guess I need to have a look under the bonnet (or maybe the manual first) to find where the fuses are.

I'm not sure I would call this all part of the joy!!!
Sorry for the delay in replying @Julie S.

Map theme is set on United Kingdom but I think that only refers to the style and language on the map.
If you look at myMaps, lower down the same menu, it should tell you which map set is installed.
Mine are CN Europe NTU 2017.30 ALL SOUTH and CN Europe NTU 2017.30 ALL NORTH. Both boxes to the left of the screen have a 'tick' in them.

Richard.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Silver Fox, I'm still doing a Bonnie Tyler, and actually feeling a bit fed up.

I'm going to find someone to test my Garmin dash charging lead, and if it works in their vehicle at least I know what that problem is, although the thought of trying to find out which fuse it might be is a pain in the butt for me.

Richard.....under the My Maps heading I have CN Europe NTU 2017.30 ALL North. Is that the problem? Below is the version I bought.

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
Eligible for return until 21 Apr 2017

Trouble is, is downloading large files possible on electric hook up?

On top of all of this I have awful hay fever so my head is throbbing making it difficult to concentrate.

I guess I could just stay here in Neufchatel-en-Bray for 3 weeks and then go home again :yawn:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Just checked mine and it says CN Europe NTU 2017.10 ALL
So I'm on an earlier version as I haven't upgraded for a while and it looks like the later updates split Europe into north and south and you may only have north installed. I don't know which countries would be included in north and south but if you search for a large town in France say Paris and then zoom in and you start seeing local street names then you should have France installed.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
When 2017.30 came out, it would seem that Garmin had to split it into two (ALL North and ALL South) on some devices because the file system (FAT) has a 4GB limit for a single file, so even if there is space on the device, there would be two partial maps, I think. Is there an 'All South' option you can select on the device? That might get France back, though I'm surprised north doesn't include France.

Looking ahead, there has been a recent update to the maps and 2018.10 is out now, at least for the 660. Having installed that, there is 'only' 5GB or so of free space on a 660, which has twice as much memory as a 760. The download for 2018.10 is over 8GB which will definitely exceed the space available on a 760 (map space is 7GB I think). Adding a memory card would sort it out but why should you have to do that on something you've just bought? I have a suspicion that running maps from a memory card may cause more frequent lock ups on the device. That certainly seems to be the case with an older unit I have.

If you can (possibly not easy from France), I think I'd return it to Amazon within the time period you show above, get your money back and look at the 770, which looks like an updated version for about £50 extra from Amazon. It also includes a database from NKC, the people behind CamperContact. You could probably download maps.me or one of the other free maps to your phone to use on this trip.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you so much everyone for your support and input.

I just tried downloading the 2018.10 file as Garmin Express told me it was available, however after nearly 2hrs and 56% download, it fell over with an error message saying Garmin servers were not responding. Mind you, I also had that message when at home.

As you say Tony....why should I have to do anything when on Amazon it quite clearly stated that I was buying a Garmin SatNav with full Europe life time maps. I shall contact Amazon and return the bloody thing when I get home. If I had wanted to use my phone as a SatNav I wouldn't have bought the Garmin in the first place. I am so frustrated and angry, as this has made it a very stressful start to my first solo experience in France.

On top of that I have now discovered that the dashboard charger outlet is at fault so now I will have to find a garage who can check out the fuse for me. I have looked under the bonnet, but it's a step too far for even my 'have a go attitude'.

All in all, I'm not a very happy bunny right now.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Julie

Take comfort in the knowledge you are not alone. I decided to download the new 2018 maps last Saturday and ended up with an error message. This after several hours.
Tried again and it said it had done it after an hour but all I have is main roads.
Your post and the replies have been helpful and I am going to go and get it and do a check over this afternoon aided by a beer.

I hope you have a good wifi connection wherever you are.

Clive

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Just turned it on and did the usual. Everything is now where it should be. Going to see how it gets on with base camp and Garmin express now.

Have not even opened the beer. I don't understand computers and they are illogical
:drink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back