Hydraulic levellers (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Any idea who stocks them at a reasonable price? Google foo doesn’t work too well for that one!
It looks like Alko, who now own E&P, sell them direct, although €144!
Migh be worth trying an E&P installer.
Mine were free as part of a promotion with CAMC when I had the system fitted in 2020.

Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
Likewise, I fitted the footplate covers. (y)
Surface area of a standard foot = 283.5 cm2, with the cover fitted = 452.4 cm2

View attachment 883623
The HPC system on mine is fitted with 10inch dia with rubber covers fitted as standard so very similar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
You can DIY this job if you are handy. I've just priced the gear at around £650 plus hoses as needed at £40 per 10 mtr coil. I've not included the brackets needed to mount the rams but they are just basic fabrication and no big deal.
That seems to be a huge saving, Does that include the hydrauic pump.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
fifthwheel, I mentioned on a previous thread a long while back that I thought these self levelling systems seemed overpriced for what they are and basically got shot down about how it's not just the price of components, but the dealers have premesis, wages, aftercare, yaddah, yaddah to pay for too. It hasn't changed my view that they are still overpriced though, as it seems generally most things moho related tend to be ?
I deal with hydraulics on tractors and timber harvesters all the time and you couldn't get a much simpler system than 4 jacks to lift a van up, but people just want to push a button and have the machine do everything for them ?
As regards "twisting the van's chassis" we hear all the time about how easy it is to drain the waste water now "As I just lift the one corner of the van up and it all drains out." but the "chassis twisting" doesn't appear to be an issue then ?
I like your setup with the four d/a spool valves, people would be surprised at how precise you can operate hydraulics, there's plenty of videos online of people picking up a raw egg with a twenty ton excavator without breaking the shell !
On a simple system like you've envisaged, I think you would just park up, open the locker door to access the valve manifold, drop the rams one at a time (the pressure gauge will let you know when they've reached terra firma) then just nudge each valve till you get them where you want them, a simple Bullseye spirit level (£6.99 on Amazon) mounted beside the pump will let you know which ram needs adjusting ? With a bit of practice, you'll be running two rams at once !
I understand that on this simple system you won't have any handbrake/safety interlocks in place which the pricey packages have, but everyone does a "walkaround" before they set off don't they ?
I appreciate you have to have an interest/mechanical bent and the facilities to carry out the work, but it really isn't that complicated, one pump, one valve manifold, four rams, eight hoses and a bit of bracketry ?
Plenty of people do self builds and this (to my mind) is just another activity that would complement that sort of activity ?
Thanks for the support very well put. I think next time I have a brainwave like this I'll keep my mouth shut. :ROFLMAO:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the support very well put. I think next time I have a brainwave like this I'll keep my mouth shut. :ROFLMAO:

No way, just because some of us don't go along with your line of thinking on the subject doesn't mean that it's not doable.
For the most part your route to hydraulic levelling would take most of us, well pretty well all of us way out of our abilities and comfort zone which is what your up against, plus we do like the banter and a bit of sparring on a thread. (y) :giggle:

OP
OP
S
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Imala 615
Hi, now looking at Motorhome Workshop in Goring by Sea, they fit TESA, M-Level, MA-VE and Amplo, either of the latter two which would seem to fit with our Motorhome. They charge £5,800 for Amplo and £5,582.50 for MA-VE. This is in comparison to E&P from Rosmia, which have quoted £6,500-£7000. Does anyone have experience of using either the MA-VE hydraulic levellers or the AMPLO? Many thanks.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Once you've spent over 30 minutes trying to get levelers set under three wheels on a very bumpy campsite, your'll make your own mind up.

You need to improve your levelling skills. 30 seconds is my average.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You need to improve your levelling skills. 30 seconds is my average.

Garbage, ............ you would not even be able to get your levelling ramps out of your locker in that time let alone put them in front of the wheels and then jump back in the cab. :rolleyes:

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
"Worth the outlay" is a very difficult question. It's in the eye of the beholder. £ 6k outlay and loss of payload. And in return you get the considerable convenience. How many days a year do I use the van, for how many years? Divide £ 6k by the number of nights. If it's a hundred nights it's £ 60 a night; if 600 nights it's £ 10 a night.

For me £10 a night is expensive for something that can be achieved in less than a minute with a £30 set of ramps. Of course most nights I find I don't need to use them so even more expensive.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Garbage, ............ you would not even be able to get your levelling ramps out of your locker in that time let alone put them in front of the wheels and then jump back in the cab. :rolleyes:
Wasn't including the getting out but yes - lets add another 2 minutes for that.

But who cares? I'm on holiday. Plenty of time, I like being active. I'm happy to get out of a van and do something. Good exercise, keeps you moving and fit.

I really don't need to arrive at a campsite, press a button to level and stick the TV on!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Wasn't including the getting out. But who cares? I'm on holiday. Plenty of time, I like being active. I'm happy to get out of a van and do something. Good exercise, keeps you moving and fit.

I really don't need to arrive at a campsite, press a button to level and stick the TV on!

Hardly a comparison then :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Wasn't including the getting out but yes - lets add another 2 minutes for that.

But who cares? I'm on holiday. Plenty of time, I like being active. I'm happy to get out of a van and do something. Good exercise, keeps you moving and fit.

Not even if its hissing down and blowing a gale?

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
It’s all about the joys of motorhoming. Some buy brand new forking out £60,000 upwards some buy second hand, some prefer to convert or self build. Some like fixed beds, big lockers, some prefer the extra seating. Some like Satellite systems, built in Wi-Fi systems etc etc etc. see where I’m going? The fact is we all love motorhoming. Fit what you like, use what suits you, we are all different.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Not even if its hissing down and blowing a gale?
No such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes. (but hissing down does sound horrendous! :LOL: )

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could say the same about a solar/lithium setup. Spend over a grand to save £3 or £4 a night on electric,
More like saving £30 to £50 a night by not staying on sites. 😊
I've budgeted £3½k for electrics on the next van and that's a DIY figure.
or a few gusts of wind rock the van… or to be able to level the van when you park up in the pissing rain from the warm and dry of the van without twatting about with mucky plastic ramps
Wouldnt want to be without the gusts of wind, we always sleep better when it's windy.
We prefer to fit full air suspension a bit more expensive but with it we can get level over 90% of the time and it transforms the driving experance.
£5k to £6k for a hyd levelling system is pure robbery in my eyes.
A big chunk of that is Labour costs 2 men, 2 days, company overheads that's at least £2k.to £3k.

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Here's a mad idea ...

my biggest problem with wheel ramps is the faffing when trying to drive onto them, especially when you're on gravel. It's hardly brain surgery, but I don't enjoy the process, and neither does my clutch.

So, why not use a 5 tonne electric car jack to lift up a wheel, one at a time, then put your ramp underneath the wheel and lower again?

More faff than a push button hydraulic system for sure, but arguably (and I think that might end up being the keyword here :) ) about £5.85k cheaper.

I'll get my safety hat on ...

Oct 5, 2023
N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696f
Exp
MH 4 years Cruisers a life time
Struggled for a while with the thought of spending all that money, but now we would not have another van without them.

There are other benefits of having them, like wheel changing and changing discs and brake pads as I did a couple of weeks back.

View attachment 883194
That's some anti theft device you got fitted .....I got the system fitted to my rig and they are without doubt great and easy to use, depending on where you are parking ie car parks for an overnight stay, put lock type wheel nuts on as some of the tyres are in the air, some plunker my just leave you high and dry or pinch one to get himself home , you cant leave the key in the door like we used to.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?
Personally, I’d never spend that sort of cash to do something I can do myself, for free (maybe because I was born in Yorkshire).

However, I was involved in a case last year where a lady had paid out £6K+ for hydraulic ‘levellers’ on a tag axle MoHo. It was a disaster! One leg leaked oil from day one, the 2 forward legs weren’t long enough to actually level the MoHo without crawling underneath to add packers, and the ‘expert witness’ claimed it was unrealistic to expect them to level the Moho, only stabilise it…. You can do that for a £100 or so…
😡

Oct 23, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
SwiftKontiki Gr Prix
Exp
Since 2002
Dear fellow Motorhomers
We are just in the process of buying our 2nd Motorhome. We have had a 2005 Autocruise Stargazer for 7 years, we pick up.our 2019 Autotrail Imala 615 with side dinette, 4 seat belts, sleeps 2. We have for the last 7 years used Milenco levellers and also had back leg steadies to help with any bounce if on a site more than a couple of nights. But thinking of splashing out on hydraulic levellers. Any opinions on whether they are worth the outlay or should we just continue to use the ramp levellers and have back steadies fixed to our new (to us) Motorhome?
I have them fitted on my Swift Kontiki, and they are brilliant, a little expensive but so worth it

Mar 28, 2023
Shere, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 696D Evidence
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lots of good advice here. Im also considering for our new Pilote 740 in June. Apart from the obvious benefits, one question I’d like to understand is can you leave Van on legs when in winter storage. We had mice this year on return - so maybe a slight lift can possibly help? Anyone had any experience? Any risk of legs jamming on return after 4 months?

Apr 6, 2024
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680 FB
Exp
Since 2004
Dear fellow Motorhomers
It all depends on the amount of use. I tour in my motorhome parking off grid. In my 90 days in Europe I will cover 4000 miles. They are, in my opinion, very worth the high outlay. However, if your motorhome spends most of it's life parked on your drive and you only drive to a campsite for a fortnight, I wouldn't bother.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Any idea of the additional weight of these footplate covers and any impact ( if any) on the ram with the additional weight being carried when retracted?

Thanks
The weight is absolutely negligible, they are made out of some very tough plastic material. Mine are in very good condition after four years use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back