Alde heating.... help (2 Viewers)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My Alde heating unit is draining water after the winter drain down of the van. I cannot find the frost control which is not where the diagram shows. Could it be inside the box? If so, how can I get into the box?
We are booked for festivities and visitor to house sit, so begining to panic as I cannot carry water with this problem.
Or is there another reason water, under pump pressure, should pump out under the Alde unit?

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thank you carpmart, I did drain the system but no water drain was pointed out to me in the Alde. The main water tank drain and ther water pump drain are the only ones I knew of until pulling out the instructions of the Alde frost control, which certainly does not exist where the diagram shows. The water pours out through a hole in the floor approximately where the Alde box is. It is unclear how to remove the box lid, although an engineer previusly took it of during a service. If only I had paid attention.
I am tempted, to try and bung up the hole if I can.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Thank you carpmart, I did drain the system but no water drain was pointed out to me in the Alde. The main water tank drain and ther water pump drain are the only ones I knew of until pulling out the instructions of the Alde frost control, which certainly does not exist where the diagram shows. The water pours out through a hole in the floor approximately where the Alde box is. It is unclear how to remove the box lid, although an engineer previusly took it of during a service. If only I had paid attention.
I am tempted, to try and bung up the hole if I can.
Don't know your van or system but bunging up hole IMO Is not a good idea... yes water might stop but it could then be going else where I.e. inside van..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you've found where the water is coming out, the valve is most likely to be directly above that.
If the area is covered by a box, I'd spend my time finding out how to remove it.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
If your van is an Adria Twin Supreme (as in your avatar's information), the valve is in a compartment in the hallway across from the bathroom.

2.JPG
Captura.JPG

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Are you sure you have one.
Peavy posted a pic above BUT that is on a Truma system not used on Alde.
If we are talking about draining the alde boiler of fresh water then mine has standard lift up manual valves with 2 located near the boiler in my garage.
Each van is different but I see many post of people explaining about the Truma auto dump valve because that's what they have fitted. All the Auto trails, eldiss and current burstner I have had have never had one of those, just the manual levers.

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If your heating system is Alde you won't have that type valve those are normally fitted to Truma blow air type systems to protect the hot water jacket/ boiler. Alde systems have glycol/antifreeze in the boiler and radiators, like your engine coolant!
You should have some drain down valves for the hot and cold water ie taps. we have 3 valve on our carthago.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Peavy. Thank you, I do have a few floor panels but not where you indicate. The Aldi drains I have found are on a shelf under the bed (Main drain) and one beside the water pump in the garage cubby hole.
The water only comes out with the pump on, I am guessing it is a hot water line. There is a copper or plastic pipe that almost comes through the floor in the region of the Alde pump unit above, which I cannot find access to.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Mine has 2 valves next to the heater. One flip up to empty the hot water system. One with a knob to empty the cold water taps.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
If it's similiar to mine there should be a yellow drain valve near the boiler. I had closed mine to refill it but water was pouring out from underneath. I opened and closed the valve a few times and this done the trick. It seems like the valve has a problem with sticking.

TA Steve

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If it's similiar to mine there should be a yellow drain valve near the boiler. I had closed mine to refill it but water was pouring out from underneath. I opened and closed the valve a few times and this done the trick. It seems like the valve has a problem with sticking.

TA Steve
If I could only find the valve, I would love to push the button but there is no frost valve visible unless it is inside the boiler case which I cannot open.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you havenā€™t drained the Alde heater It sounds more likely a pipe has come apart rather than anything to do with the Alde system itself

Last edited:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I have Alde heating and a Truma frost dump valve on my 2022 Rapido

Iā€™ve also got no heating for the 2nd winter due to the Alde boiler leaking 2 winters on the trot šŸ˜¢

Al

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Where is the water draining from, normally itā€™s dropping water where a valve is located so where ever the water is draining out of look there.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As do we on our N+B Flair, in the small services locker.

As far as I am aware, there is no auto frost valve on our Alde system.

rosalan. Good luck sorting it out Alan. :xThumb:

Cheers,

Jock. x:-)
Thank you JockandRita the mystery thickens as time shrinks. Hearing that there may be no auto drain opens a new can of possibilities. I learnt tonight that a special tool is required to access the boiler unit where water shoots out under pump pressure. With a lady flying in from Malta and a booking for New Year festivities the closeness of bank holiday looms ever closer. For all who have tried to help both here and the Adria Owners Club the Christmas spirit lives strong. Thanks to all!

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have Alde heating and a Truma frost dump valve on my 2022 Rapido

Iā€™ve also got no heating for the 2nd winter due to the Alde boiler leaking 2 winters on the trot šŸ˜¢

Al
Amongst the info people have offered today, one person advised that the hot water tank welding has sometimes been a problem but I know nothing.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Interesting. Wonder if it's something new they started to do. Maybe something they fit for vans that don't have the double floors and fully winterised.

Ours has double floors and fully winterised so no idea tbh

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Are you sure you have one.
Peavy posted a pic above BUT that is on a Truma system not used on Alde.
If we are talking about draining the alde boiler of fresh water then mine has standard lift up manual valves with 2 located near the boiler in my garage.
Each van is different but I see many post of people explaining about the Truma auto dump valve because that's what they have fitted. All the Auto trails, eldiss and current burstner I have had have never had one of those, just the manual levers.
i went onto alde's web site to see if i could find a soliut5ion and they list the same valve so they must fit them to something

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Amongst the info people have offered today, one person advised that the hot water tank welding has sometimes been a problem but I know nothing.
Some Alde boilers have failed due to the seams failing on the boilers, due to welding in the manufacturing process.
From your posts you are not a very practical person so my advice would be go and get some advice from a professional as it is clear you will only make things worse! .
I have not said this to offend you but you need some professional advice šŸ™‚ šŸ‘

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If the water is coming out from directly under the Alde boiler and you can actually see the pipe it's coming out of it maybe the pressure relief/air intake valve has stuck during drain down.I've heard of them dripping but not running full bore! This is on the back of the boiler.
IMG_4159.jpeg

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As Steve says, The Alde boilers do have a weakness and once a month if you don't drain your taps and boiler down of fresh water you should open the valve that drains the pump and open a hot tap to replace the air gap. This is explained in the manual and you can find info online.
We know of freinds whos Alde boilers have failed due to this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back