Not another fridge not working on gas thread (2 Viewers)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sorry did I say it wasn't another fridge not working on gas thread? Damn auto correct ;)

Electrolux 3 way fridge. It's been working fine on gas at home even in nice warm-ish weather. Haven't been on hook up for a while but pretty sure it was fine.

Been away now and it's been on and off a few times for ferries and now doesn't seem to be cooling. Fridge is very poor and freezer just seems cold.

Hot air coming out the vent and no problems lighting it so it's kinda working.

What's the go to checklist in this situation?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Presuming you have checked the flame from the viewbox behind the vent ?

And what level is it on (1-5 normally) level 2 is good.

And presuming the motorhome is flat and display doesn't give you any notifications

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The first thing I'd look at is the thermostat knob. If its turned up full you will get little cooling. Illogical I know but its true.
Other than that the thermal paste on the back of the fins inside the fridge may be inadequate,. you may have trouble getting replacement paste while away though, the cheapest good stuff is from China and takes ages to come so no help to you. Possibly a computer repair shop may have some at a price.
Try it on ehu if you can, as if it works fine on that then you need to look elsewhere at the burner and flue.

Reactions: Aji
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks folks. Its always been on a low-medium setting. I've only just put it up high just incase it make any difference.

I'm pretty flat here and it's never really had problems in gas if off level before.

Where is the view box? I presume bottom vent is where the burner is? Top vent is for hot air going out?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Where is the view box? I presume bottom vent is where the burner is?
Yep, remove the bottom vent to gain access. You may also have to remove a small phillips screw to remove the flame cover, pending the model.

There should be a healthy bunsen blue flame from the burner, without yellow tails. If it's a poor flame, this may indicate a partially blocked jet, or burner.
Sometimes corrosion debri can fall from the flue above, and partially block the burner.

What's your flame like on the hob rings?

Good luck getting it sorted. (y)

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hob gas is fine Jock. I had the bottom cover off but couldn't see anything that looked like a way to view the burner. I should have took a pic :rolleyes:

Sure I had this problem on my last van with switching off for ferries. Can't remember if I even solved that!

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
20220824_223428.jpg

That's with bottom vent off.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
View attachment 656007

That's with bottom vent off.
A bit different to my previous fridge freezer burners, however, removing those 2 x phillips screws and dropping that square looking bracket, may allow you to view the flame using a mirror, or maybe a mobile phone camera
Is there quite a bit of heat from the top of the flue?

Cheers,

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
He simler problem in Spain three years ago blew out jet and in the end I tane the fridge out turned it upside down left it for half her turned it right way up put it back in worked fine since
Bill

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
A bit different to my previous fridge freezer burners, however, removing those 2 x phillips screws and dropping that square looking bracket, may allow you to view the flame using a mirror, or maybe a mobile phone camera
Is there quite a bit of heat from the top of the flue?

Cheers,

Yes it's putting out a fair bit of heat.

Weather has been really hot here last couple of days so presumed that was the cause but a lot cooler today and no different. I'll try taking that cover off in day light. Cheers Jock

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Could the brown ducting pipe be in front of the flame check window ?
Possibly I'll get a better look in the morning 👍
He simler problem in Spain three years ago blew out jet and in the end I tane the fridge out turned it upside down left it for half her turned it right way up put it back in worked fine since
Bill
Sack that I'd rather eat out for the rest of my trip :LOL:

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So I had a look this morning. That label wasn't hiding anything.

I took the 2 screws out and can see the flame. A lot of black flakes peeling off which could get in to it and the flame was flickering pretty yellow when I first looked but soon settles down in to a relatively blue flame.

Hard to see precisely when in daylight though. Reckon the burner needs cleaned? Easy enough job?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry did I say it wasn't another fridge not working on gas thread? Damn auto correct ;)

Electrolux 3 way fridge. It's been working fine on gas at home even in nice warm-ish weather. Haven't been on hook up for a while but pretty sure it was fine.

Been away now and it's been on and off a few times for ferries and now doesn't seem to be cooling. Fridge is very poor and freezer just seems cold.

Hot air coming out the vent and no problems lighting it so it's kinda working.

What's the go to checklist in this situation?
When did you last clean out the chimney flue?

I find that's the most common cause of it not cooling properly and if you're using lpg it tends to soot up more.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
When did you last clean out the chimney flue?

I find that's the most common cause of it not cooling properly and if you're using lpg it tends to soot up more.
Oh I must have cleaned that out maybe.... never :LOL:

To be fair the van is usually parked outside my work on hook up so only on gas the odd trip for a day or 2.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oh I must have cleaned that out maybe.... never :LOL:

To be fair the van is usually parked outside my work on hook up so only on gas the odd trip for a day or 2.
Right well I'm willing to bet that's your issue right there. I had to do the one on the frankia several times in the 1 year I owned it. The hymer one I did 3 or 4 times in the 3.5 years I owned that. This van Fortunately won't have that issue.

But what a difference it made to them once they were de sooted.

Just mind to cover the burner with a rag so all the crap doesn't go in it

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Northernraider

I took the top vent off to get in to the flue but I can only clean so much of it without pulling out the whole unit from the inside.

I'd didn't look particularly sooty, in the top section at least.

I'm really needing an airline to give it a good blow out!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Northernraider

I took the top vent off to get in to the flue but I can only clean so much of it without pulling out the whole unit from the inside.

I'd didn't look particularly sooty, in the top section at least.

I'm really needing an airline to give it a good blow out!
There's a knack to it . Take the wee t piece of the top of the flue . Get a long piece of string and a couple of small pieces of rag ...tie the bits of rag to the string . Feed the string down the chimney flue till it comes out the bottom of the flue .. pull it back and forth so the small bits of rag get pulled up and down the chimney ....hoover out all the soot that will be forced out.

It works a treat. PhilandMena and Busman showed me that trick in Spain back in 2018 .

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I know you guys like an update so ....

I managed to get the top of the flue off. Poked a bit of soft wire down with a small cutting of cloth on the end. And blew any shite away from the burner end.

Went for a day out at a prison/ execution camp (as you do) and came back to ice cubes in the freezer.

Rock on doddie thom!

Could probably go a service as it has started to take longer to light but it'll do for now.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know you guys like an update so ....

I managed to get the top of the flue off. Poked a bit of soft wire down with a small cutting of cloth on the end. And blew any shite away from the burner end.

Went for a day out at a prison/ execution camp (as you do) and came back to ice cubes in the freezer.

Rock on doddie thom!

Could probably go a service as it has started to take longer to light but it'll do for now.
Telt ye 😉

Where are you? What's this prison execution camp?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Telt ye 😉

Where are you? What's this prison execution camp?
Tallin, Estonia. I'm visiting all the old Soviet abandoned sites. Old prisons, KGB establishments, missile silos etc.

That place was an 19th century military battery turned prison camp for political prisoners. Anyone who didn't agree with the Soviet way basically. Pretty brutal stuff.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tallin, Estonia. I'm visiting all the old Soviet abandoned sites. Old prisons, KGB establishments, missile silos etc.

That place was an 19th century military battery turned prison camp for political prisoners. Anyone who didn't agree with the Soviet way basically. Pretty brutal stuff.
Ah sounds cool .. I've not been over that way yet but its on the list. I met a couple in Croatia that were from Estonia and they said its great for vanlife ....how you been finding park ups?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Ah sounds cool .. I've not been over that way yet but its on the list. I met a couple in Croatia that were from Estonia and they said its great for vanlife ....how you been finding park ups?
Only crossed in from Latvia a few days ago but so far plenty decent places to stop. Plenty on P4N etc I'm right at the harbour at the moment at 9 euros a night but just because I wanted to be near to the maritime festival that is on.

No many aire type places with facilities so I reckon I'll need the odd night in a campsite to fill + empty.

Love it up this way though, what a city Tallinn is.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So the fridge has been working fine but I just parked up and the light is flashing unsuccessfully trying to ignite it.

Gas is getting to hob and boiler so not a low gas problem. It just doesn't seem to be igniting. I can hear the click although it's not as loud as usual.

Any ideas?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So the fridge has been working fine but I just parked up and the light is flashing unsuccessfully trying to ignite it.

Gas is getting to hob and boiler so not a low gas problem. It just doesn't seem to be igniting. I can hear the click although it's not as loud as usual.

Any ideas?
Have a look at the burner. I had a dead bee in mine once

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Which model of Electrolux 3 x way fridge is it , there should be a label on or inside the fridge with a RMxxxx model number on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back