93C37A66-FEFA-46D8-9099-E0A302ABB9FB.gif

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hello folks,
My name is Mukesh and with my wife Margaret we are considering buying a motorhome to travel around UK to start with. We are both retiring this year and hoping to purchase a secondhand motorhome but have no experience in this area. So far we have learned that it is best to get one that is maximum 5.9m in length. We also have three grand daughters.

Any advice would be most welcomed!

Pleased to be joining a motorhome clan!

Margaret & Mukesh
The choice will be in some ways mind boggling,

As Young Campers we travelled around Europe in small tents and we often spotted Hymer's / Hymermobiles and always thought when we grew up we would get one........so fast forward

We started with a VW T5 with a pop top which was great except on longer trips or ones to the highlands we found it started feeling damp inside when the weather turned bad and this was due to the Canvas on the pop top so...

We did not want a large MoHo so we looked at the market and settled on a HymerCar, the Free range should be the 'budget' level and if you look at the other Fiat/Mercedes models they have different trim finishes.

the layouts are lounge at the front and beds at the rear and they start at 5.4 Metre's we have a 5.4 Metre Ayres Rock and there is plenty of space for us. We tend to travel light and do not take loads of stuff with us but can go away for longish periods quite comfortably.

Other prefer manufactures like Globecar, Adria etc, some prefer a larger Motorhome, the choice as they say is yours, its an exciting journey do Hire a couple of different layouts, makes and styles only then start looking for your dream machine

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Welcome from Gloucestershire!(y)

What sort of layout do you want - fixed bed, rear lounge, etc - that will determine how long your ā€˜van needs to beā€¦..?!?:unsure:
Thank you AndyPK. These are the things we are not yet aware of, so thank you for pointing us in the right directions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
You need to hire one for a week to see how it fits with your expectations. We hired before buying and the hire week showed us many features we did not want in our Motorhome. For example we didnā€™t like the cramped front dinette arrangement with a large fixed table. But we did like the rear fixed bed that didnā€™t need making up each night. Drop down beds were not available then, but I still think theyā€™d be awkward if both people donā€™t want to retire for the night at the same time. We then bought a specific layout and have been happy with it since, only updating to the same layout but with a euro6 compliant diesel and a lower roofline.
Thank you cb_stalbans. The hire theme seems to be a very worthwhile advice, which I think will be my next port of research. I did forget to mention our 5year old beloved Collie who will also be travelling with us.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Even if you don't hire (though that is great advice) go round to lots of dealers and look ar as many vans as you can. Do things like getting to the loo whilst the other person is in the kitchen, getting in to the front seats from the habitation area, lifting up the seats to get to the storage.
Thank you ChrisSue for the great advice. I am erring to the hire option in the first instance.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
All motorhomes are a compromise.
When driving you want it as small as possible.
When parked up you want it as large as possible.
There are three things to consider -
Driving
Sleeping
Living
It is unlikely that you will find a motorhome that 100% satisfies all three requirements, so you will need to decide which two are the most important.
For us it was driving (compact) and sleeping (good size permanent bed)
Our living area is small but overall we are very happy with our choice.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Obviously if you intend to take your 3 grand children with you you will need a vehicle that will sleep 5 (unless you intend them to sleep outside in an awning or tent) and that has 3 travelling belts in the rear.
Ours is 5.9m long, 4 berth with 2 travelling seat belts in the rear, so 4 belts in total.
Our layout is a a double bed over the cab and the rear lounge sofa"s make another double bed.
Our intension is only for short breaks and this set up suits us.
We use the double lounge bed & in good weather we don"t pack it away in the day as we spend the day outside.
If the weather is bad we have to spend time inside so pack the bed away so we can use the lounge, although being semi retired I am lucky in being able to pick when we go to coincide with good weather.
We"ve only had this motorhome for 6-7 weeks but had a 2 berth campervan for the previous 5 years so have experience using a vehicle this way.
It suits us but the layout might not suit you.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
At less than 5.9m, you've not got a ton of choice:
  • campervans like a VW Transporter/California. These normally have a pop-up roof to allow you to stand up. They don't have a bathroom and have a limited kitchen. You fold out the bed to sleep. But they are pretty much the size of a normal car.
  • Ducato/Boxter/Jumper PVCs (Panel Van Conversions) that 5.4m. The extra width and height means they can squeeze in a small bathroom and stand up. Many have a transverse rear bed (great unless you are over 6 foot tall) and a small dinette up front. Other layouts have a fold-out beds. These just about fit in a normal parking space, but you won't fit under a height barrier. We previously had a 5.4m van. It was great for getting into cities and down back country lanes.
  • motorhomes... there aren't many less than 6m, especially recently. We changed to a 6m a-class last year. In reality we've probably only got 5.9m of driveway, but the neighbours haven't complained about us peeking off the end. The extra width makes it more difficult to park and the lanes in Cornwall and Devon are slower going. But it also feels three times bigger inside than our previous van.
Thank you Guigsy, your comments are really helpful in the way you have set out the pros and cons of different size options. So many things to consider!

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Welcome to the forum your first stop for information.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Unless you only have a 6m parking space a 6.4m ducato extra length is I believe in the overhang so no difference in driving and you can most often park it overhanging a verge.
Thank you Jamesh. Parking will be on the street and we are on CPZ, so will have to arrange storage. I had not even considered the overhang thing!

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
:ello:But I have to disagree with Lenny (with much deserved respect), because we get on just wonderfully with our 5.99m MH. Plenty enough room for two.

This is, of course, unless you plan to take your grandchildren away with you all the time, in which case, youā€™ll probably want to go for a 24m vanā€¦:LOL:
Thank you ManTheVan! with three girls you're probably not far off the mark with 24m !::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
If you are an experienced confident driver go as large as is practical Particularly having three grandchildren to consider including all the ancillaries they are likely to need. Spend time reading looking at reviews,Utube is your best bet to compile a list of what to look to view.

Take your time itā€™s so easy to get it wrong.
Thank you Littlewheels. Taking our time is definitely going to be our priority as buying a MH will be our second largest purchase!

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
I bought a 5.9m motorhome 6 weeks ago after having a PVC (campervan) for 5 years.
Mine is a 4 berth, although there are only 2 of us.
Plenty of room for us and much more room than the campervan.
Been away twice in it just the 2 of us and taking the grandson with us the week after next.
I went for 5.9m due to parking it on my drive.
Thank you Headlight. I think the wife's thinking is that we will only have the girls occasionally, most of the time will be us and our Border Collie.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Hello and welcome.

Where have you learned that it is best to get a 5.9mt motorhome? It sounds to be extremely small.
Thank you Southdowners. Reading on the internet and wife is not keen on anything too large.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Welcome from Ireland, we're new to the MHing as well after renting a couple over the last year or two. Renting really opened our minds to what we wanted and didn't want.
In the end we wanted plenty of daytime living space so we went for a 6 berth with electric drop down bed .There's only the two of us .You should definitely rent a few to see what u like and don't.
We don't pick it up till this Thursday all being well .
View attachment 604761
Thank you OCD. Renting is definitely and option we are going to be taking up. We wish you a happy and wonderful time ahead in your new MH. Looking forward to reading stories of your exploits in your new MH on the forum.

• Love It
Reactions: OCD
OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
We've had our 5.98m A-class for 8 years. It works because it fits on our drive an is very easy to manoeuvre.

If you can, I'd go for at least 6.5m with a straight forward cab or a 6m Converted Panel Panel. I can't see three grand daughters and two adults in 6m although if you stick to secure campsite, the daughters may use a tent if they are old enough.

I find the best way of choosing a van is to start with 'what you can't have'.
Thank you Appenshaw. Secure sight with a tent a definite option to consider. An example of 'what you can't have', please to start us off!

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Thank you Headlight. I think the wife's thinking is that we will only have the girls occasionally, most of the time will be us and our Border Collie.
If that is the case then depending on the girls ages an awning or small tent might be a viable option for the rare occasions your grand daughters accompany you rather than buying something that is 5 berth which as far as I am aware will be in excess of 6m long.
Finding something that is no longer than 5.9m but has 3 travelling seat belts in the rear might be a problem though as they tend to have the number of belts to match the number of berths in my experience.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Welcome.
Priorities.......
Sufficient belted seats.
Sufficient payload

Have a read of Jim's guide - free to subscribers.

Thank you Spriddler. Agree with your suggestions. I am half way through Jim's book.

OP
OP
Copper Beech
Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Have you ever been to look at one,take your grand children and your good lady and then see how you are all going to fit in ā€¦
Thank you nev Robinson. Not yet! Only just started on the journey. It us our intention to find a local dealer and do a visit soon. I believe there is one in Dunstable which we are hoping to go and visit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back