Totally new to Motorhoming (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy one
Hello folks,
My name is Mukesh and with my wife Margaret we are considering buying a motorhome to travel around UK to start with. We are both retiring this year and hoping to purchase a secondhand motorhome but have no experience in this area. So far we have learned that it is best to get one that is maximum 5.9m in length. We also have three grand daughters.

Any advice would be most welcomed!

Pleased to be joining a motorhome clan!

Margaret & Mukesh

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Welcome animated gif.gif

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Gloucestershire!(y)

What sort of layout do you want - fixed bed, rear lounge, etc - that will determine how long your ‘van needs to be…..?!?:unsure:

Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
You need to hire one for a week to see how it fits with your expectations. We hired before buying and the hire week showed us many features we did not want in our Motorhome. For example we didn’t like the cramped front dinette arrangement with a large fixed table. But we did like the rear fixed bed that didn’t need making up each night. Drop down beds were not available then, but I still think they’d be awkward if both people don’t want to retire for the night at the same time. We then bought a specific layout and have been happy with it since, only updating to the same layout but with a euro6 compliant diesel and a lower roofline.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Even if you don't hire (though that is great advice) go round to lots of dealers and look ar as many vans as you can. Do things like getting to the loo whilst the other person is in the kitchen, getting in to the front seats from the habitation area, lifting up the seats to get to the storage.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
At less than 5.9m, you've not got a ton of choice:
  • campervans like a VW Transporter/California. These normally have a pop-up roof to allow you to stand up. They don't have a bathroom and have a limited kitchen. You fold out the bed to sleep. But they are pretty much the size of a normal car.
  • Ducato/Boxter/Jumper PVCs (Panel Van Conversions) that 5.4m. The extra width and height means they can squeeze in a small bathroom and stand up. Many have a transverse rear bed (great unless you are over 6 foot tall) and a small dinette up front. Other layouts have a fold-out beds. These just about fit in a normal parking space, but you won't fit under a height barrier. We previously had a 5.4m van. It was great for getting into cities and down back country lanes.
  • motorhomes... there aren't many less than 6m, especially recently. We changed to a 6m a-class last year. In reality we've probably only got 5.9m of driveway, but the neighbours haven't complained about us peeking off the end. The extra width makes it more difficult to park and the lanes in Cornwall and Devon are slower going. But it also feels three times bigger inside than our previous van.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Unless you only have a 6m parking space a 6.4m ducato extra length is I believe in the overhang so no difference in driving and you can most often park it overhanging a verge.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
:welco:
5.9m is very small really limits layouts unless it's due to bei gable to park on your drive I would lok at 6.5 to 7m for a first one .
:ello:But I have to disagree with Lenny (with much deserved respect), because we get on just wonderfully with our 5.99m MH. Plenty enough room for two.

This is, of course, unless you plan to take your grandchildren away with you all the time, in which case, you’ll probably want to go for a 24m van…:LOL:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If you are an experienced confident driver go as large as is practical Particularly having three grandchildren to consider including all the ancillaries they are likely to need. Spend time reading looking at reviews,Utube is your best bet to compile a list of what to look to view.

Take your time it’s so easy to get it wrong.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
:ello:But I have to disagree with Lenny (with much deserved respect), because we get on just wonderfully with our 5.99m MH. Plenty enough room for two.

This is, of course, unless you plan to take your grandchildren away with you all the time, in which case, you’ll probably want to go for a 24m van…:LOL:
Or two vans (and two campsites) :ROFLMAO:

We have twelve grandchildren

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I bought a 5.9m motorhome 6 weeks ago after having a PVC (campervan) for 5 years.
Mine is a 4 berth, although there are only 2 of us.
Plenty of room for us and much more room than the campervan.
Been away twice in it just the 2 of us and taking the grandson with us the week after next.
I went for 5.9m due to parking it on my drive.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome.

Where have you learned that it is best to get a 5.9mt motorhome? It sounds to be extremely small.

OCD

Mar 18, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Looking
Welcome from Ireland, we're new to the MHing as well after renting a couple over the last year or two. Renting really opened our minds to what we wanted and didn't want.
In the end we wanted plenty of daytime living space so we went for a 6 berth with electric drop down bed .There's only the two of us .You should definitely rent a few to see what u like and don't.
We don't pick it up till this Thursday all being well .
Screenshot_20220323-115042_Chrome.jpg

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
We've had our 5.98m A-class for 8 years. It works because it fits on our drive an is very easy to manoeuvre.

If you can, I'd go for at least 6.5m with a straight forward cab or a 6m Converted Panel Panel. I can't see three grand daughters and two adults in 6m although if you stick to secure campsite, the daughters may use a tent if they are old enough.

I find the best way of choosing a van is to start with 'what you can't have'.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
Priorities.......
Sufficient belted seats.
Sufficient payload

Have a read of Jim's guide - free to subscribers.

Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
Hello folks,
My name is Mukesh and with my wife Margaret we are considering buying a motorhome to travel around UK to start with. We are both retiring this year and hoping to purchase a secondhand motorhome but have no experience in this area. So far we have learned that it is best to get one that is maximum 5.9m in length. We also have three grand daughters.

Any advice would be most welcomed!

Pleased to be joining a motorhome clan!

Margaret & Mukesh
Have you ever been to look at one,take your grand children and your good lady and then see how you are all going to fit in …

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back