1 year trip around Europe, any hints or tips? (1 Viewer)

Andyb

Free Member
Feb 14, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi everyone,

In 6 months we're about to embark on a year long trip around Europe in our new motorhome (complete novices), but are very keen to embrace the travelling life. We bought the 1995 motorhome yesterday so the dream is fast becoming a reality :Smile:

I'm just looking at insuarance for such a long trip and wonder if anybody knows of the cheapest/ best insurer that will cover for a year.

I was also wondering if anybody has any hints or tips that will help us on our way? Any help and advice will be gratefully received:Smile: we are looking to do this cheaply as possible and want to see the less densely populated and tourist areas of each country. Ideally we would like to pick up some work on our way round too (preferably out in the country/ organic farming etc). We are both young and fit and willing to try our hand at most things.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Andy

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Andy!

If you need to stop for a week or two in my area , that's to say near Toulouse , south west of france , I'll be delighted to be of any help. your stay will be free.

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Andyb

Free Member
Feb 14, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks Frankie,

I see you have an interest in tartan, have you been to Scotland? I live in Glasgow and will be happy to show you around if you are ever here. And of course I'll be wearing my kilt!
:Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks Frankie,

I see you have an interest in tartan, have you been to Scotland? I live in Glasgow and will be happy to show you around if you are ever here. And of course I'll be wearing my kilt!
:Smile:

Yes Andy , have been to Scotland but didn't stay long enough.That is why i will spend a whole month there in August 2012; i have been to Callander and just went through Edinburgh and Dunfermline by night. Want to see plenty of things but i will plan all this when the time is coming

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

A

Addie

Deleted User
Hi Andy,

I think you'll have to register now you've reached your maximum 5 posts!

Insurance wise we've always got on very well with Safeguard who over 365 days in Europe cover. In terms of tips and advice for a long term trip, I think the best places to pick up this advice are peoples blogs who've done something similar!

My favourites are:
www.doyourdream.co.uk (doyourdream dot co dot uk)
www.magbaztravels.com (magbaztravels dot com)

In terms of work, Europcampings are keen for couples to work on site and work in Ski Chalets are great during the winter months!

We'll be leaving in April, don't know when we'll be back! :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Andy i think the only advice i could give you is to take me with you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Good luck and have fun

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Welcome - and have a great trip.

BUT - get some in first. Do as much as you reasonably can here in dear old Blighty, so you can make your mistakes - we all so - where help is at hand, and you can explain the problem and understand the answer.

Oh, and do uprate your subs... Jim likes to eat, so it's only fair to throw him the odd banana.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Have a great trip. True, get yourself trained up before you go, but most of all, ignore all the pessimists, moaning minnies & scaremongers you'll come across. If you dont., you'll never cross the channel.

Good luck.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
My site has all my hints and tips already (see sig) - for internet, wifi and stuff you need and stuff you don't. For insurance, Safeguard give us 365 days foreign use and unlimited length, as well as breakdown cover. We use Nationwide free flex account travel insurance upgraded to max trip length of 180 days (and winter sport cover) for a good price.

Get a decent GPS (TomTom) - get the GPS databases available. Get bordatlas.

Then - go!

Enjoy - say hi if you bump into us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back