Decisions Decisions RV Or Mercedes Sprinter Selfbuild: (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Its a long one so bear with me on this:

Well its been 10 years owning our 10m american B class. We’ve used it on and off during that time full time living as well as a touring van towing a trailer with car. In June 2018 we brought a 2012 Mercedes sprinter which we have converted to camper van. The idea of the sprinter was that it would be more of a touring van but over the last four months traveling up from Portugal its become apparent that we are trying to use it as a living van. We’ve loads more storage space in the sprinter than the RV. We hoped to do some art making during our tour but everything is so well stored away you have to move everything to get one box out, so of course it doesn’t happen.

We didn’t sell the RV last year but put it in storage incase things with the Merc didn’t work out. We’ve been back in the UK for nearly three weeks and even though the RV is only stored 100 yards from our pitch we’d not been to look at it until today. Not sure why really, possible the thought that something may have happened to it as its not been stepped into for nearly a year i.e. water damage etc but also the emotions attached to it. Well other than being fitly as its on a farm and outside so got dirty etc, we stepped in and other than a couple of cobwebs to great us it is dry as a bone. The next thing, would it start? The two solar panels were pretty much covered by an Ash tree overhanging the roof but the controller showed a charge going in so the moment came…… turned the key and she started as she always has first turn. In my mind theres nothing better than the rumble of a big V10 petrol guzzler. I was quiet overwhelmed by the whole thing and its now given us a big dilemma.

Can we use it in the same way as we have been with the Merc? We think we can, after staying on 51 Aires over the last 4 months theres only a handful that we wouldn’t have been able to get in/on. The running maintenance cost of the RV over the 10 years has been minimal and on average no more than the Merc has been over the last year. The big thing is of course fuel, we’ve spent £900 over the four months in diesel for the Merc, averaged 26 mpg fully laden with mixed roads from the flats of Spain to the Pyrenees and Swiss Alps. The same distance in the Rv would have cost around £2300 at 10 mpg so an additional £1400.

So the difference is the extra cost in fuel when touring and all the extra space in the RV.

What to do? I think several sleepless nights are ahead of us, didn’t think it would affect us this much when we saw it again. We thought we’d look at it and say yes its to big lets sell it, Some will say its just a van but to us its more than that it was our home.

Theres been lots of people downsized to PVCs over the last few years. Should we be going big again?

Of course Margo, the Labradoddle, would love having more space in the RV and could actually get onto the bed.

A confused and emotionally drained, Shawn and Emma

A couple of photos, The Merc in Leichtenstein July 2019 and the RV in Leichtenstein November 2016

_MG_5907.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You are already restricting yourself in the Merc as it's too much hassle to get at stuff you want, long term I can see this becoming more and more irritating. The RV though, whilst a bit fuel hungry, gives you a lot more comfort and accessibility to kit etc. If costing more on fuel causes you concern, then either cut back on travel or look into getting it converted to LPG as you'll soon recoup the cost.

You could also consider towing a small car on a trailer so you don't have to keep going out in the RV for shopping etc which would also offset the fuel costs, assuming towing the car/trailer didn't add to fuel costs adversely, or the cost of the car/trailer and running costs don't cost more than what you are trying to allay. Alternatively look into other forms of transport for short journeys.

Of course you could change both and get something size-wise between them, this would be the most logical solution but obviously only you can decide on if you want to do that and part with your 'family' member ... how would you have felt if it HAD deteriorated whilst it's been sat alone and unloved?

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have a Concord 300ts and there is nothing nicer than at the end of the day, relaxing in the king size bed in it's own room. Sheer comfort.

Craig

We think thats part of the problem in the Merc. We wanted the bed made permanently so of course thats nearly 2 meters of space taken straight away. Been looking at ways we can re model it to make things better but we can't be doing with making a bed up each day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
put the merc in the storage space and see how you get on in the RV??
Got to be the simplest option.. If it works out, sell the Sprinter, if it doesn't, sell the RV

Yes exactly what we said to each other last night. Need to get the RV done first then will have a week away and see how it feels.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ours is LPG powered and filling up isn't a heartbreak.

Craig

Yes we've talked this over as well so could be an option. Does the servicing work out more expensive in comparison and offset the cheaper gas? I did look at it a long time ago and at that time it was about £3000 conversion then I think every 6 months service. At the time we were only doing about 6000 miles a year so it didn't warrant it but maybe now it would.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just don't get it with A classes, Not for us I'm afraid.
Having just agreed to purchase our first ever A-class I'm curious as to what you mean by "don't get it" ... have I missed something important and made a big mistake???? :oops:

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Having just agreed to purchase our first ever A-class I'm curious as to what you mean by "don't get it" ... have I missed something important and made a big mistake???? :oops:

Just a personal thing. Not keen on the look. When we first looked at RVs 10 years ago we soon moved from looking at the coaches to the B class. Ive always liked big trucks, pick ups etc. Had a ford Ranger for several years which is probably why I liked the RV so much, E450 cab. Ive always liked to have a big bonnet in front, Capri, Rover SDi, Ranger, the RV.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a personal thing. Not keen on the look. When we first looked at RVs 10 years ago we soon moved from looking at the coaches to the B class. Ive always liked big trucks, pick ups etc. Had a ford Ranger for several years which is probably why I liked the RV so much, E450 cab. Ive always liked to have a big bonnet in front, Capri, Rover SDi, Ranger, the RV.
... you're not someone who suffers from 'little man syndrome' are you ???? :LOL:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd also sell them both and buy an a class

But if you don't want an a class purely on looks then sell both and buy a big coachbuilt instead.

Personally I'd find the Merc a bit compact and the rv way too gutsy on fuel

But everyone is different

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would flog them and get a tag axle something...
We have LOADSA room ! ( and well over 20mpg )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
See im going to look a fussy git now. Tags aren't my thing either. Twin Rear is my preference.
Rimor Sailer (low profile) or Rimor Superbrig (overcab) both brilliant quality MHs and twin rear axle ... we had a Rimor Sailer 645TC and it was gorgeous. Both have bonnets sticking out front and whilst not so large as the ones you prefer should still be more than adequate to keep you happy! :D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Rimor Sailer (low profile) or Rimor Superbrig (overcab) both brilliant quality MHs and twin rear axle ... we had a Rimor Sailer 645TC and it was gorgeous. Both have bonnets sticking out front and whilst not so large as the ones you're prefer should still be more than adequate to keep you happy! :D
Aren't they on a transit though

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The space you need is being used up by the engine and bonnet in both , so you need to go bigger (longer)
if you wont countenance the looks of a A class . Real life Tardis doesn't exist .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Aren't they on a transit though
Merc or Transit. We had the Transit, last of the floor mounted gearbox ones. The Transit has a slightly wider axle width so less roll than a Merc - and once we fitted rear air assisted suspension it was a even more of a dream to drive. Not sure what base they're on now but if we wanted a long coachbuilt MH with a good payload I'd certainly look at Rimors again as the quality of the built was superb.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Merc or Transit. We had the Transit, last of the floor mounted gearbox ones. The Transit has a slightly wider axle width so less roll than a Merc - and once we fitted rear air assisted suspension it was a even more of a dream to drive. Not sure what base they're on now but if we wanted a long coachbuilt MH with a good payload I'd certainly look at Rimors again as the quality of the built was superb.
Yeah I've just found a Merc one and it looks good for the money

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
We think thats part of the problem in the Merc. We wanted the bed made permanently so of course thats nearly 2 meters of space taken straight away. Been looking at ways we can re model it to make things better but we can't be doing with making a bed up each day.
My whole van layout choice was based around finding one with a fixed bed because of that hahaha.
I seriously could not be arsed to make up the bed every day...
But I am taking my old dear away with me nearly every trip at the moment so guess who having to make the bloody kitchen into a bed every day. :X3::X3:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back